Front axle - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2007, 8:01 pm Thread Starter

Front axle

I've got to be more thoughtful when I do my pre-ride check... This afternoon, I noticed that the front axel, RHS (rider perspective) has a hole in it which *seems* could be for a cotter pin. Now, I checked with the local dealer on the phone a online bmw website with microfiche of parts and vigorously shook the tire with the steering locked; all indicate no issue. But, would anyone be willing to take a gander at theirs and report back for my peace of mind? Weather in DC has been perfect for two weeks! Miracles never cease

Thanks in advance!
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2007, 8:30 pm
Veteran

That hole is for your tool to twist the axle out and to hold it from spinning while you reinstall the shaft....no pin...dealer didnt tell you what its for?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2007, 8:32 pm
Rookie

The hole belongs. It's used to insert a drift or suitable screw driver to assist in pulling the axle during wheel removal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2007, 9:59 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish3k
I've got to be more thoughtful when I do my pre-ride check... This afternoon, I noticed that the front axel, RHS (rider perspective) has a hole in it which *seems* could be for a cotter pin.
There should be two holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	axl.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	5349  

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:55 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish3k
I've got to be more thoughtful when I do my pre-ride check... This afternoon, I noticed that the front axel, RHS (rider perspective) has a hole in it which *seems* could be for a cotter pin. Now, I checked with the local dealer on the phone a online bmw website with microfiche of parts and vigorously shook the tire with the steering locked; all indicate no issue.
Did you read your owner's manual when you got the bike? I'll bet you didn't. Read the section on front wheel removal.

Bill

'04 K1200RS Alpine White/Orient Blue
'05 R1200GS Red
'07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2007, 8:40 am Thread Starter

Smile re-read

I read it when I got home. They didn't tell me that either when I bought the bike or when I called - and, while I did read the owners manual when I bought the bike, well, my memory isn't quite what it never was in the first place... There are two holes, didn't word it well.

Thanks for the confirmation from the user community!

Chris
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2007, 9:13 am
Addict

Get a Clymer manual.

You might not read all the stuff, but at least you get an early warning from the word count under the headings before launching in. You then decide if you can do the job from a rider perspective or need to become a mechanic. Doing some jobs from a rider perspective can be expensive or dangerous if done wrong.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode