Front Brake Hose - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2007, 10:12 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Front Brake Hose

Riders:

I have purchased type-2 Suburban Bar-Backs which come with a new brake hose (1.5" longer) for my '03 GT. The suburban instructions advise to take the bike to a dealer for this install, but I hate to do that since they are 300 miles away and it is a two day deal. Suburban instructions "suggest" that pumping fluid into the bleed nipple on the right side of the control unit should result in purging air from the new line into the reservior on the front brake. Has anyone out there tried this procedure? Any advice would be appreciated.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2007, 11:33 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbob
Riders:

I have purchased type-2 Suburban Bar-Backs which come with a new brake hose (1.5" longer) for my '03 GT. The suburban instructions advise to take the bike to a dealer for this install, but I hate to do that since they are 300 miles away and it is a two day deal. Suburban instructions "suggest" that pumping fluid into the bleed nipple on the right side of the control unit should result in purging air from the new line into the reservior on the front brake. Has anyone out there tried this procedure? Any advice would be appreciated.

Bob

Bob

I have never done what you are asking, but the service manual says to FILL the control circuit you have to do a complete control circuit bleed. Filling the reservoir and bleeding from the top down.
There are many posts and files on how this is done properly.

Always keep in the back of your mind that the servo unit is $1,895usd.(Hammersley BMW parts fiche, not installed). You don't want to screw it up!

It sure wouldn't hurt to try and pre-fill the lines first. You can get most of the air that way.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2007, 8:39 pm
Enthusiast

Brake Hose

You can usually bleed a top hose by simply installing the hose, filling the resevoir and slowly working the lever. Leave the cover off and watch for bubbles. This works best with the handlebar at full lock left, which gets the master cylinder at the highest point in the system. Be careful: pulling the lever too quickly will squirt fluid into the air and then on to your body work. When the bubbles stop rising, adjust the fluid level, put the cover on, and leave the bike on the side stand, again with handlebar at full lock left. This should get any final bubbles out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2007, 11:43 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Brake Hose

Thanks for the replys fellas. I did find an excellent post on bleeding the control and wheel circuits in this forum. I'll proceed with caution!

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode