Electrical Problems - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2007, 8:53 am Thread Starter
Noob

Electrical Problems

Hello all, I have an '02 KRS with 14k that has developed several electrical issues that I was wondering if they ALL might be related. Low beam, insrument lights, hazard button illumination light stay on after ignition is switched off for 20 or so seconds or even longer and the bike won't start after long rides for many tries and low beam flickers when bike is running and speedo jumps when motor is off but ignition key is in starting position. Also, these problems are coming and going and not at the same time.

My mechanic suspects the starter brushes (ground issue) and has checked the relays.

I just want to know if starter problems are common on this bike, if riding in rain is an issue, and does R/R the starter require removing the gearbox (i.e. a 10 hour job by the book)? If so, why would such a part be so burried in a bike? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2007, 2:36 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokesandspokes
Hello all, I have an '02 KRS with 14k that has developed several electrical issues that I was wondering if they ALL might be related. Low beam, insrument lights, hazard button illumination light stay on after ignition is switched off for 20 or so seconds or even longer and the bike won't start after long rides for many tries and low beam flickers when bike is running and speedo jumps when motor is off but ignition key is in starting position. Also, these problems are coming and going and not at the same time.

My mechanic suspects the starter brushes (ground issue) and has checked the relays.

I just want to know if starter problems are common on this bike, if riding in rain is an issue, and does R/R the starter require removing the gearbox (i.e. a 10 hour job by the book)? If so, why would such a part be so burried in a bike? Thanks!
There are other parts 'buried' in the bike like the clutch, alternator, shaft seals and clutch slave cylinder that require lots of work and $$'s - see photo!

It sound to me like you have some burned wiring in the loom, perhaps because somebody left off a battery ground wire (there are 2). If things are coming on when the ignition is switched off then either the switch is faulty or that big bundle of wires in the loom at the head end that wangs about when you steer the bike has got some shorting wires in it. How else would accessories pick up power if the switch was ok and off?

The only recurring problem from riding in the rain is getting wet and an intermittent speedo, generally we know how to fix that, but you have other ominous symptoms.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StripAAEsmall.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	5370  

Last edited by voxmagna; Jun 11th, 2007 at 2:42 pm.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2007, 2:43 pm
Veteran

I would check all your gnds......and riding in the rain .....it loves rain.....unless you have some real problems....my 04 GT....loves rain.....and me too....I dont know why...but the thing just seems to run better.......but go thru all your gnds......i wish i could tell you where they all are...but i know the batt should have 2 at the post....somone will chime in with more info.......VOX already came in while i was writng this...but good luck....and let us know how thiungs are going.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2007, 6:48 pm
Veteran

Start looking at all the cheap fixes first.

Check every ground wire connection to the frame that you can find. Pull apart every plug-in connection you find, clean/dry the contacts and re-assemble using a dab of dielectric tune-up grease in every point of connection. Also flush out the ignition switch with contact cleaner.

You have to remember that BMW uses the ground wire to operate some relays( turn signal relay cancel button, for instance).

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Jun 11th, 2007 at 6:54 pm.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2018, 12:25 am Thread Starter
Noob

A little late in getting back to this one :-/

The mechanic replaced the load shed relay after searching in vain for the problem the first day. Said he woke up in the middle of the night to review/resolve the problem. Love the BMW master techs. Dedication to duty! That seemed to fix the problem. . .

Months later it came back though but not as frequent. Suspect the high heat in that area is an issue. Have RW chip and live in hot climate and idle for long periods in traffic at times. All contributors I suspect. But the relay sticking never seems to last long so Iíve been living with it. Anyway, my Odessey battery has never complained. 16 years. . . 2 Odessey batteries. Use tender regularly but still. . . amazing!

Some of the above mentioned issues for sure are ground related like the headlamp flickering while riding. Good avdvice on that.

Have 33k on her now. Been sitting for a while needing major service work (brake lines, fuel lines, electric wiring, etc.) Will be chiming in here more often!

Got a 2011 GSA to pick up the slack so I can dig in to the 2002 KRS. Been a good bike otherwise. Love egos. Perfect for me. Bill Mayer seat and bars forward in sporty position. Lay on the tank periodically. The sound of that engine through the Remus pipe. Can ride forever. . .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode