Do You Need Backup K1200RS Shifter? Yes, You Do - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:49 am Thread Starter

Lightbulb Do You Need Backup K1200RS Shifter? Yes, You Do

A recent mild tipover at zero mph with me on the bike bent the shift linkage, broke the rod end of the assembly (at the tip) but did not break the pivot peg with the rubber shifter...you know the part that touches your boot. When this happens away from home shifting gears may or may not even be an option.

So, I ask the forum, would you be interested in a custom made small metal rod that will follow the angle of the shift linkage, will include the toe shifter with a nylon roller (perhaps rubber coated), will include small clamps to hold the replacement part securely to the existing linkage and will permit either upshifting or downshifting with ease? This product could be installed by the side of the road with nothing more than a screwdriver.

If I could deliver the product in the Continental U.S. for $30.00 would you be interested? Mind you the shifter toe piece from BMW is approximately $75.00, and the shifter linkage assembly (without the toe piece) is also $75.00. This linkage price does not include the rod that connects the assembly to the transmission. I'd say the connecting rod would very rarely ever be damaged in a basic tipover.

I ask you...how important is it for you to get home, or to a dealer if you have an experience such as mine?

I await your assessment!!

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:47 am

Yes had that experience a couple of years ago. My wifes first and only drop of her KRS. Broke the shifter. fortunately we were next to a garage and used some steel wire to hold the broken toe roller to the arm. It got us home 80 miles and then rode it to the dealer 200 miles. Now I carry a small spool of steel wire in my system case.
FlagGS

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2007, 3:11 pm
Addict

You might also have some interest if you did what BMW didn't do and made the toe link section adjustable through a larger arc than stock.

It was important for me to get the bike to shift properly with the rubber on the right part of my toe after dropping the pegs an inch and fitting 30mm bar backs. Nobody seems to have addressed the limited adjustment at the toe end and I eventually ground away at the stock part.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2007, 7:26 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Toe Shifter Now in Three Diameter Sizes

In reading the second reply to the original post the writer commented on the need for a longer arc for the toe shifter. The product I've created is to be a roadside remedy if you ever break the toe shifter in a tip-over. The toe portion now has three options in terms of diameter size. The options are designed to have three sizes for the portion that contacts the shoe or boot. There is such a wide variety of the height of shoes and boots and where they contact the toe shifter...I saw the need to provide options. The options can be replaced by removing a cotter pin at the end of the shifter an inserting a different one.

REMEMBER, this product is made to get you out of a jam and allow you to continue on your journey and eventually contact a dealer for a replacement part. On a limited basis I will make these available at a reasonable price, delivered postage paid to the Continental U.S.A (at this point in time) I'll post a thumbnail of the product in the next few days. Price will be under $50.00. The entire assembly weighs less than 8 ounces, and can be stored in a wide range of places on the motorcycle or in luggage or a tank bag.

Even if your tipover occurs in the parking lot of a dealer, what are the odds they have the part you need in stock?

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode