Newbie with questions on RS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:34 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Newbie with questions on RS

Greetings – long time lurker here but hoping to be a K1200RS owner soon. The info on this board has been invaluable in helping me decide on the right bike.

Here’s what I have found. A local used car dealer has a 2003 KRS, one owner, black, basically stock (from what my inexperienced eyes can tell), it has “MV” bar backs, a power outlet below the seat (standard?) , the system cases and a Marsee tank bag, 3,700 miles, out of warranty, looks in pristine condition, no scratches or evidence of being dropped.

The dealer is asking $9,150 for it, but has had it over six months and is very, very willing to negotiate. What would be a fair price for this and what things should I be aware of in potentially buying this bike?

Thanks in advance for any inputs.

Steve Farley
Montgomery, AL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:40 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevef111
Greetings – long time lurker here but hoping to be a K1200RS owner soon. The info on this board has been invaluable in helping me decide on the right bike.

Here’s what I have found. A local used car dealer has a 2003 KRS, one owner, black, basically stock (from what my inexperienced eyes can tell), it has “MV” bar backs, a power outlet below the seat (standard?) , the system cases and a Marsee tank bag, 3,700 miles, out of warranty, looks in pristine condition, no scratches or evidence of being dropped.

The dealer is asking $9,150 for it, but has had it over six months and is very, very willing to negotiate. What would be a fair price for this and what things should I be aware of in potentially buying this bike?

Steve Farley
Montgomery, AL
Forgot to mention that the bike also has cruise & heated grips.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevef111

Steve Farley
Montgomery, AL
Six months ago I paid $9300 for my '03 Zebra with 7200 miles. I shelled out another $650 for the system cases. Assuming everything is truly in good condition on the one you found, from my perspective I think it's a very good deal. Funny it's been sitting unsold for so long though...
(BTW, one powerlet below the seat is standard)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:33 pm

The power outlet, cruise control and heated grips are all standard options. The bike has very low miles and appears to be in good shape so the asking price is not out of the ballpark. I've seen similar bikes go for less, but if you can get him down to 8.5K, I would think it is a good deal.

You might want to check the service book under the seat to see if there are any notes indicating that unusual work has been done on the bike and that regular maintenance has been completed. But, at that few miles the engine isn't even broken in yet. I have 41K on my 2002 and it is just reaching it's prime!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2007, 10:09 am

Do you know wanyone in the area that has experience with the K bikes? They could stop by and take a look for ya and give their opinion!

Otherwise, it sounds like a good deal.

Offer em $8500 and see if he bites.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2007, 5:38 pm
Looking for better limits...

8,500 or ask 'em if they'll toss in an extended warranty. Varying kinds, depending on who and where. Mine was for extending the warranty 4 years (total of 7) and unlimited miles.

Unfortunately in some respects, it's paid for itself. I'd prefer that nothing broke, but...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2007, 11:46 pm
Rookie

I just bought a used 2003 K1200GT a few weeks ago. It had 10k on the odometer, brand new tires, garage kept, came with all that the RS has as well as the cases painted to match, a heated seat, more fairing, electronic windscreen. It also came with a soon to be fore sale Marsee tank bag with electrical hook up, barbacks and the remainder of an unlimited mileage extended warranty until 2011. Reg has been paid for the next year. It was also outfitted with a remus exhaust and a power commander. I think I stole it at 8k. The deals are there, dont be intimidated by the asking price. I wouldnt give him 8500 for it. I would rather look for something with some farkles that come in as extras. Low ball him at 7500, then its a deal.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2007, 5:43 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Update

The dealer is a small used car dealer – long story as to how he got the bike – but is not capable of offering an extended warranty. He has let me keep it over the weekend so I can try out some two-up riding with the wife to see how she likes it.

A couple of things I've already noticed -

- The bike is a ’03 model, whose original factory warranty expired in Dec 06. Unfortunately (or not?), it appears to have some degree of the famous “ECU 166" issue. It stalled when cold on quick throttle blips, but when fully warm, runs like a champ (pulls like a fright train as well from almost any gear, any speed - wow), no stalling at all when warm, throttle blips fine, accelerates smoothly & strongly from stops. It’s out of the original warranty, so I guessing the ECU replacement would be on my dime ($900?? - ouch).

- Some fair amount of heat at my feet (compared to the VFR800A I’m now riding) – more on the left side, it seems.

- Doesn’t seem to turn-in as quick as the VFR & is a little “twitchier” in turns – Getting used to Telelever front end? Not sure. Could just be getting used to it. Heavier feeling front end @ parking lot speeds.

- I realize it is a bigger, heavier bike that will take some getting used to, if I purchase.

Thanks for the feedback so far – I truly appreciate it!

Steve Farley
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2007, 8:13 am
Enthusiast

Man, you guys are tough. Are you kidding? An 03 KRS with only 3700 miles for $9150 is a decent deal. $7500 is stealing it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2007, 2:05 pm

Hi. I'm new here, but active on some other bike forums. Your bike is at a car dealer? They probably have very little walk-in traffic for the bike. Their customers probably know very little about it. I would start low, like $7000, as someone else mentioned. Make the dealer work to sell it. Chances are he really wants to move it if it has been on the floor 6 months.

I bought a perfect condition 2000 K1200RS with BMW cases and tank bag in February, 25,000 miles, for $6200.
A buddy of mine bought a 2003 K1200RS with 3000 miles last week, also in perfect condition, without cases, for $8000.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode