K1200RS 1998 or 2000? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2007, 2:11 pm Thread Starter

K1200RS 1998 or 2000?

Hi, I'm still shopping for the RS that fits me and I appreciate all the help I have gotten and read here. Next series of questions:
I have at least two main contenders, one is a '98, the other is a 2000.

Are there any significant or even insignificant differences in these model years?

I saw an ad for a 2000 that claimed cruise control... can anyone verify this was the case because the 2000 I am looking at has Throttlemeister. (WTF?)

Any thoughts on these model years?

Thanks
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2007, 3:07 pm
Rookie

Check this out. http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showpo...56&postcount=2. It will lead you to the flying brick. BTW, Cruise control available on 02s.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2007, 5:38 pm
Looking for better limits...

I believe they're pretty much the same, with different paint schemes available on different year models. The cruise control could be an aftermarket one; I don't know of any pre '02 models that had factory cruise control.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser SŲze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2007, 5:00 pm

thoughts from the outpost

I have some thoughts on that. For some unknown reason, two years ago, somewhere around my 56th birthday in March, I woke up in the middle of the night and was overcome with the desire to buy a motorcycle. Never had one before, had ridden one back in 1968 for about 6-7 rides, but it didn't take a holt. But two years ago I was possessed, and I spent an entire year researching, I was overseas so much I didn't have time to spend in the U.S., so I Googled for a year, and I decided on a '98-'01 BMW K1200RS. It's a personal thing, but for me, I like the design of the fairing better on the earlier model, and second, I read quite a bit about the difference between the non-linked brakes (98) vs the 02s (linked), and moreover about bleeding them, the 98 being easier to bleed. Also there seemed to be some computer chip issues, so I went with the 98. I could afford either one, so it wasn't about the money, but I have to say I did save maybe around 2 grand on the earlier bike, and that gave me a nice cushion to put into upgrades, like my 5.5 inch rear rim, like my steel Goodridge brake lines, my GT heated seat, and my Glasurit paint I will apply in 6 weeks when I get back from Angola here. End result, I love my bike, the motors are identical I believe, it's possible the 02 might be a little faster with the newer ECU, but I hit 130 no problem, so my bike is plenty fast enough for me. But the distinction between the two is small at the end of it all, you can't loose, either way you will have the finest bike there is, according to the conclusion I reached on my 57th b-day just over a year ago. I found a 98 with 25K miles in Detroit, new brakes, tires and battery, plus the panniers, soft tail bag and BMW 3-tier tank bag, and faked my way back to Colorado on it just fine, now I am a total addict. On the issue of the cruise, I read a lot of posts where some can't do without it. I can, I just went 2550 miles from just outside Denver to Houston and back, found myself fighting off falling asleep 2 or 3 times, and it occured to me had I had the cruise and not needed to manually control my speed I probably would have fallen asleep. You get up there in north Texas or New Mexico and it can be a fair ways down the road before you get to a motel. Plus I used to pull over and have a cigarette, but I am struggling to quit so I couldn't even do that. Anyways, I am cool without the cruise.
Let us know what you come up with, any help you need is right here, this is an incredible website for support. Jack

Last edited by frisco99; Jun 17th, 2007 at 5:08 pm.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2007, 10:08 pm Thread Starter

Thanks frisco, and all you others. A Great story. Maybe you can empathize with what my wife is now calling "My Obsession".

I started riding in 1958... I know, I'm a total newbie... except for college and that unplesantness in the late 60's and uncle's Army I have been at it pretty steady since. A succession of Hondas, Yamahas, Triumphs and an odd basket case BMW which I gave away.

In 1990 I found a project Sportster that needed a frame up total re-build. When finished I was totally hooked on Harley. something like 6 more since then, and last year I took on an addiction to BMW's. I have been a BMW car guy since the late 70's don't know what took so long to get here.
I bought an R1100R as an experiment, as a second bike to my Road Glide. It was like saying I am only going to try the Crack Cocaine as a little taste. I'm totally lock, stock and barrel hooked.

I have done the same sort of googling and forum-ing and am certain the next bike will be a K12RS. It fits my short body, it has the juice and style to make me grin. I'm totally hooked. I may make my deal by next week. Will keep you all posted.
OBTW the Glide stays... too, but the Roaster is For Sale!

Do you think 52k miles is too much on a K12RS
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2007, 2:42 am

Hi, I bought a 98 k1200rs in sunny dakar yellow last year after 4 months of trawling the internet and dealers here in the uk.

I have had a long history of bikes, took my test on a BSA Bantam and went on through triumphs, SOHC honda's , big kwak's, and then GSXR 1100 which I raced for 6 years, several yams and then a 1200 bandit and now the bmw.

I am hooked, it might be big and peiole call it a car on two wheels but it is so smooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth fast one or two up in comfort, wife gets on the back, a happy wife makes for a happy biker.

I looked at a 2003 K12rs but settled on the 98, abs is ok non linked brakes as I like to feel what the front is doing.

My biking buddies are mainly Police and ex Squaddies as I was in the Army for 19 years and my BMW keeps up with those R1's Blades etc no problem, even to point where the guys have all had a go on my k and are amazed by its flexibility.

Love it..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2007, 1:48 pm
Addict

I have a 98 and love it.It was the first year so a few recalls happened that year. My dealer ran the VIN number for me and checked what had been done.Only one that hadnt been done was the oil line recall and I was told that because the bike was as old as it was i didnt need to worry about it as it showed up early with a dead motor.50,000 miles is a bunch of miles, but if its been maintained it should be good for at least that much more.And it should be grounds for you to get a better price.Check the seal on the fuel pump too as it seems to be an issue on the 98's.It was changed later to a different style.The rest of the issues are the same for all years really. The seat if its stock you will hate or love,me I hated mine and had it redone at a local shop.The shifter needed fixed and had a buddy of mine machine some tighter parts and shorten it.He still does this for others if you need it done.I bought a Areo Flow windshied that really works, just looks like shit.It works so I left it.A throttle miester is a must and lube the cables to to help with the Charles Atlas throttle springs. Watch the rear brake pads as I only get 5-8,000 miles out of them and the rotor is 300 bucks,but the old one does make a nice clock.Have fun!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2010, 4:17 am
crh
Noob

A GREAT post on the 2000 K1200RS's behalf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisco99
I have some thoughts on that. For some unknown reason, two years ago, somewhere around my 56th birthday in March, I woke up in the middle of the night and was overcome with the desire to buy a motorcycle. Never had one before, had ridden one back in 1968 for about 6-7 rides, but it didn't take a holt. But two years ago I was possessed, and I spent an entire year researching, I was overseas so much I didn't have time to spend in the U.S., so I Googled for a year, and I decided on a '98-'01 BMW K1200RS. It's a personal thing, but for me, I like the design of the fairing better on the earlier model, and second, I read quite a bit about the difference between the non-linked brakes (98) vs the 02s (linked), and moreover about bleeding them, the 98 being easier to bleed. Also there seemed to be some computer chip issues, so I went with the 98. I could afford either one, so it wasn't about the money, but I have to say I did save maybe around 2 grand on the earlier bike, and that gave me a nice cushion to put into upgrades, like my 5.5 inch rear rim, like my steel Goodridge brake lines, my GT heated seat, and my Glasurit paint I will apply in 6 weeks when I get back from Angola here. End result, I love my bike, the motors are identical I believe, it's possible the 02 might be a little faster with the newer ECU, but I hit 130 no problem, so my bike is plenty fast enough for me. But the distinction between the two is small at the end of it all, you can't loose, either way you will have the finest bike there is, according to the conclusion I reached on my 57th b-day just over a year ago. I found a 98 with 25K miles in Detroit, new brakes, tires and battery, plus the panniers, soft tail bag and BMW 3-tier tank bag, and faked my way back to Colorado on it just fine, now I am a total addict. On the issue of the cruise, I read a lot of posts where some can't do without it. I can, I just went 2550 miles from just outside Denver to Houston and back, found myself fighting off falling asleep 2 or 3 times, and it occured to me had I had the cruise and not needed to manually control my speed I probably would have fallen asleep. You get up there in north Texas or New Mexico and it can be a fair ways down the road before you get to a motel. Plus I used to pull over and have a cigarette, but I am struggling to quit so I couldn't even do that. Anyways, I am cool without the cruise.
Let us know what you come up with, any help you need is right here, this is an incredible website for support. Jack
Man, that is one well-put post, brother! I could not agree more. My 2000 K1200RS was $5k from a very well-off gent who couldn't wait to get rid of it so he wouldn't be reminded of his bad back preventing him from ever being able to ride it again... I had to practically climb over all the fine German sheet metal, in the form of 2 (or 3, I can't remember, I was so wound up with buck fever), 600 series M-B's in the driveway of his oceanfront home, and a huge white Ford Expedition that I had to remind the seller he had to move before I could get the shiny beast out of the garage to look and hear it in the sun... it had a LOT of upgrades and farkles from Pirate's Lair, etc., and wasn't even broken in at 16k miles... and you are right- the $5k I spent on this bike left me with 3 or 4k to deal with the rest of the bike as well... I was able to upgrade almost everything with that saved dough from going with a mint 2k model, including going with a great HyperPro steering damper, except Wilbers front and rear: the top-end, fully remotely adjustable models- more expensive, but if you ride one-up then two-up then commuting then canyon carving all in the space of one or two days like I do, the ridiculous amount of easy adjustability makes perfect sense on these suckers; the top-end Wilbers are STILL about 25% cheaper overall than the Ohlins I priced out as well, at least if you go through Ted Porter (www.beemershop.com), who's the most knowledgeable guy for Wilbers that I've yet run across.

And you're right about the fairing, too- it looks sleeker, cleaner than ensuing year models, IMO... I also never thought I'd like the yellow models; I recently ran across the first '98 'Taxi' I've ever seen in person at Ted Porter's last week, and damn.. that color is so rich 'n syrupy that ya just want to get out a knife and fork along with the riding boots! Mine is the silver and dark blue model; I never thought I'd like a 'striped' two-colr paint job, but it's beautiful, and I get stares from folks everywhere riding this beautiful beast, from skateboarders to cops and teenage girls to the occasional grubby biker (me, in decades past- a PhD in working-class jobs and no family until later in life), who'll almost invariably give a long look at the bike and a wave, knod, or thumbs up with a smile... the bike's a head-turner. Now all I have to do is find a *quiet* aftermarket exhaust system, so I can shed 22 lbs. or so from the bike without going deaf in my left ear. I turn the wick up a *lot*, so that matters to me and my 3/4 face helmet-clad noggin...

The cruise I can do without, for the same reason... also, I've NEVER felt like giving up ANY control of a motorcycle's throttle to anything; I NEED direct control, all the time. It's never been an issue, and for some reason, the previous owner of my 2000 K1200RS had the bear-trap throttle springs replaced with later, softer ones, post '02 mirrors, pegs, bars and a Comfort windscreen, amongst many other things. Those later parts help, for sure, and I like the BMW adjustable pegs, with the black shifter lever extension and the adjustable bars. I've had and enjoyed cruise in my cars over the years, but every bike I've tried with cruise, Beemers included, left me shaking my head and vowing to never use what I don't like, even if it's there on the used bike I buy... good thing that it wasn't available in 2000 anyway, I guess. A nod to the stainless steel brake lines, too... great difference in feel, IMO. I went with the Spiegler (sp?) brake line kit from Pirate's Lair... and all the wonderful advice, encouragement, information and patient help from the great folks on this forum have only made my experience on this amazing ride all the more cool and safe!

BTW, you can order for anywhere from $90-$150.00 a set of sano stainless steel allen-head screws which replace ALL the exterior black-painted hex cap screws eventually chip and peel the paint off the heads; looks great, and really cleans up the clean-up process as well, no pun intended... I'd recommend you look into eventually installing brake oscillators, a set of PIAA lights and maybe a PIAA hi-output ultra white headlight bulb as well. Can't have enough lights to see and be seen... an LED upgrade to the rear light, along with Lite Buddies with the optional Stop Alert (all of these- the now-gone from Pirate's Lair LED taillight upgrade, the Lite Buddies, Stop Alert, as well as the PIAA driving light kit and the PIAA bulb had all been done months before I bought the bike by the previous owner.

To the OP- good luck, congrats, and welcome to the club, man! This is THE best place on the Web to share info and learn, learn, learn... every time I come, it's another very peasant learning experience!

Brakes only slow you down!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2010, 10:12 pm
Rookie

I have had a 99 RS, a 2003 GT and now an 02 RS. My 99 was nice but I always wanted cruise control. The 02 has better brakes, better wind protection, the windshield will stay up on its own, and has cruise control. Some stuff is a bit mroe adjustable. If you can afford an 02 or newer then its a no brainer to me. I wouldnt trade my 02 for my 99.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2010, 11:16 pm
Enthusiast

early K12's (97-00) had lower handlebar risers and higher footpeg mounting brackets than the later bikes.

really no difference between a 98 and a 2000.....whichever one is cleaner, nicer or has had the clutch replaced might be the best choice

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode