BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Steering damper?

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  ClearwaterBMW 
#1 ·
Does anybody know if the K1200GT comes stock with a Steering Damper?
Thanks

#3 ·
It doesn't appear adjustable. Any idea if you can?

Brian

#4 ·
stock steering dampeners.... are rarely good quality

adjustable ones.... such as those made by OHLINS, etc...
will be far superior (and not cheap)
the KGT is quite heavy, and has a LONG WHEELBASE, so the bike should NOT be prone to headshake or tank slapping situations, quite frankly

steering dampeners really save your butt on 390 pound (dry) 55.5" wheelbase hyper-sportbikes..... which the K1200GT is certainly NOT (nor do any of us have any illusions about that)

#5 ·
ClearwaterBMW said:
steering dampeners really save your butt on 390 pound (dry) 55.5" wheelbase hyper-sportbikes..... which the K1200GT is certainly NOT (nor do any of us have any illusions about that)
Yea, but I like to pretend that it is. :crazy:

Except for my 916 this is the highest performance bike I have ever owned. And to be honest, it feels more powerful than the 916.

Brian

#6 ·
bnblazer said:
Except for my 916 this is the highest performance bike I have ever owned. And to be honest, it feels more powerful than the 916.
Brian, It's ironic that you should make such a statement. This GT is just a bit heavier than my '98 ZX-11, and has a tad fewer ponies. But the GT "feels" more powerful. :wtf I still haven't quite put my finger on it. :confused:

#7 ·
bnblazer said:
Yea, but I like to pretend that it is. :crazy:

Brian
it's a different kind of powerful, of course
but, i DO know what you mean

#9 ·
messenger13 said:
Are they "steering dampers" . . . or, "steering dampeners"?! And you're not aloud to use Google either. :p :D

i think you know TOO WELL that this has been controversial for years...
they are, by PROPER use of the ENGLISH LANGUAGE.... dampeners....
plain and simple

a damper is something that makes something wet....
...... and let's not take THAT any further :)

now.....
ohlins, on their site.... uses the word DAMPNER...
when they used to use the word dampener... until a couple of months ago

i have NO idea why

#11 ·
ClearwaterBMW said:
now.....
ohlins, on their site.... uses the word DAMPNER...
when they used to use the word dampener... until a couple of months ago

i have NO idea why
English isn't their first tongue. Even folks that speak English, it isn't their first tongue. The language is so mangled it should be called mutlish.

#13 ·
grifscoots said:
English isn't their first tongue. Even folks that speak English, it isn't their first tongue. The language is so mangled it should be called mutlish.
excellent point....
but, i thought that after YAMAHA bought OHLINS.... that they'd have a better idea of the english spelling of their main product :D

yes....
yamaha is a japanese company.... but, they seem to spell the names of all their bike parts correctly ;)

#14 ·
ClearwaterBMW said:
and....
sensei.... what is my next challenge?
i am waiting with eager anticipation :)
We'll see if you know which fork to use first when you're buying my lunch at the Bistro! :D

ClearwaterBMW said:
yamaha is a japanese company.... but, they seem to spell the names of all their bike parts correctly ;)
Funny you should mention that. I was reading a Yamaha manual once, and in the back it had a block diagram of the electronics. But instead of saying "Block", it read "BRock Diagram". Which is really very funny when pronounced with a Yaponeeze accent. :D

#15 ·
messenger13 said:
We'll see if you know which fork to use first when you're buying my lunch at the Bistro! :D
i usually just eat with my fingers to avoid the confusion:)
i do hope we have the lunch soon

messenger13 said:
Funny you should mention that. I was reading a Yamaha manual once, and in the back it had a block diagram of the electronics. But instead of saying "Block", it read "BRock Diagram". Which is really very funny when pronounced with a Yaponeeze accent. :D
that IS hysterical

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.