BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

GT vs. S Last minute "Cold Feet"

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  snoggin 
#1 ·
Looking for inputs both for or against...

I'm scheduled to pick up my GT this Friday, and am having last minute questions on whether I should go with an "S" instead. Background...

I am a "aging" (read 35+) WERA/CCS road racer, with an tendency for sport riding. Have a few sport bikes (race), and have owned a BMW GS in a fashion or another for about 15 years. I have been looking for a "Sport-touring" bike for a while, and after some contemplation last year, and riding an ST1300, I purchased an 2005 BMW R1200RT, with all the reviews saying how "sporty" it was for a big bike. I was disappointed. From the beginning it was far off a "SPORT-tourer", but a fantastic touring machine. After two 1000+ mile trips, the bike did not "grow" on me, and luckily I was able to sell it privately for only a small loss.

Fast forward...

After seeing a K1200GT at Daytona, and after some deliberation, I put a deposit on one, and am supposed to pick it up this week. I have not ridden one, but have heard great things about it, have sat on it etc... I have experience with ESA and the techno stuff, and am comfortable with the details. Last minute thoughts are my issue. Since they share basically the same platform suspension etc... is the K1200GT a 90% (except top speed I know that) bike compared to the K1200S (i.e. it will do 90% of the sport riding of the S) and if not, how far off is it? Otherwise, how good a "Sport tourer" is the K1200S? I'm leaning toward the GT, but want to make sure I'm not dissatisfied like I was with the RT.

Thanks, Walt

See less See more
#2 ·
i think the best advise that anyone can give you is to test ride both of them and then make your decision. everyone has there reasons for buying one bike over another so you'll get many different opinions but in the end what best meets your expectations will be the best bike for you. i purchased the "S" because I'm more on the sport side of touring and all i take is day trips less than 300 miles. if you're more touring than sport go with the GT. if you ride two up a lot without a doubt go with the GT. the "S", at least for me, sucks big time riding two up because my girlfriend slides down into me forcing me into the gas tank making for a very uncomfortable ride.

#3 ·
DueNrth said:
Looking for inputs both for or against...

I'm scheduled to pick up my GT this Friday, and am having last minute questions on whether I should go with an "S" instead. Background...

I am a "aging" (read 35+) WERA/CCS road racer, with an tendency for sport riding. Have a few sport bikes (race), and have owned a BMW GS in a fashion or another for about 15 years. I have been looking for a "Sport-touring" bike for a while, and after some contemplation last year, and riding an ST1300, I purchased an 2005 BMW R1200RT, with all the reviews saying how "sporty" it was for a big bike. I was disappointed. From the beginning it was far off a "SPORT-tourer", but a fantastic touring machine. After two 1000+ mile trips, the bike did not "grow" on me, and luckily I was able to sell it privately for only a small loss.

Fast forward...

After seeing a K1200GT at Daytona, and after some deliberation, I put a deposit on one, and am supposed to pick it up this week. I have not ridden one, but have heard great things about it, have sat on it etc... I have experience with ESA and the techno stuff, and am comfortable with the details. Last minute thoughts are my issue. Since they share basically the same platform suspension etc... is the K1200GT a 90% (except top speed I know that) bike compared to the K1200S (i.e. it will do 90% of the sport riding of the S) and if not, how far off is it? Otherwise, how good a "Sport tourer" is the K1200S? I'm leaning toward the GT, but want to make sure I'm not dissatisfied like I was with the RT.

Thanks, Walt
I picked the K12S over the GT because I wanted a comfortable sportsbike. A sportsbike I can take to the track. And I can easily spend a whole day (500 miles) on the S. It's just as comfortable for me as the "old" K12GT.

The new K12GT is a strong, very powerfull and capable tourer. But it's not a sportsbike.

Good luck

/Michael

#5 ·
DueNrth said:
Thanks guys,

I forgot to add..

I never ride with a pillion, but wind protection is important, as I have four racetracks within 4 hours, but any twisty roads worth riding are about 350 miles away.

Still deciding...
Re. wind protection.

This is tricky.

If it's because of wind noise the lower screen on the S create much cleaner air and a much more quiet ride. At least compared to my old GT. I even ordered a lower sports screen for my S. Try to stand up on any bike and put your head in the clean air and you understand ;.)

If it's because of protection from the weather then the GT is much better (I guess). So was the old GT. In rain I get much more weth on the S. ;-(

The wind pressure is not significant different between the S and the GT below 80-90 mph. Above 100 - 120 mph the wind pressure on the S, especially on the shoulders, is heavy.

On a long 300+ miles day I therefore travel below 100 mph.

/Michael

#6 ·
I'm kind of in the same quandry.

I test rode the S this past weekend. I love the styling, but the ergos were a little more extreme than I thought. I found the heals of my hands hurting after as short ride. So, now I want to try a GT.

Another thing I'm looking at is adding the bags to the S. That's an added cost. And silly me, I want a center stand - added cost on the S. No cruise available on the S, a downside. Bar riser? Another cost. Heck, by the time I get the S where I want it, I'll be at the price of a GT - or darn close to it.

I figure the way I ride, either or would work. Just gotta find a GT for a test ride now.

#8 ·
I sold my Ninja ZX-11 and my K1200LT to get the GT. Basically, you can sum up my reasoning like this. I wanted one bike that would merge the two philosophies. I wanted a long-distance tourer that was focused on SPORT! The GT has fulfilled my desire. In fact, it has surpassed it! I rode my ZX-11 800 miles/day, but the fatigue from being beaten up by the wind was not fun. The LT was great, but I simply got tired of scraping hardware in every turn. The GT has AMAZING wind protection (with the Cee Bailey's shield), and is great in the twisties. In fact, I can ride the GT way quicker than I could my ZX-11.

I wouldn't even try to compare the GT to your R1200RT. They are worlds apart! I would not be happy on an RT either.

As for the 'S', I just wouldn't want to ride it more than 400 miles a day tops. And my riding style dictates that I cover more than that per day. So the GT wins hands-down.

#9 ·
Thanks M13 and all...

Thats kinda what I was looking for, I want to be able to ride hard sporting (80+%) when I'm on the twisty's, and as long as the K1200GT will do about 90% of the S, I think that's about right. When I want to ride harder I'll take the race bikes to the track...Although the KS is gorgeous.

WJL

#11 ·
S or GT

Agree with the test ride crowd. The one short summary I would add is that the S is a SPORT-touring bike and the GT is a TOURING - sport bike. They have many similarities and many differences. Both work for touring - the GT does it with a bit more traditional feel.
If you do a lot of 2 up or long distance week/multi week riding; then the GT. If you are more inclined to take day rides with the occassional 2 up and occassional week/multi week trip then go with the S.
I stupidly have both and love both. Also use both for the touring and for day trips - go figure. By the way - am way past 35 years young.

#12 ·
Rick,
What's your opinion on KS track ability? Isn't it too heavy for a track day? Would any R600ccm(R6/GSX-R/CBR-RR) give more "sense of a bike"?
Thanks in advance.

#13 ·
Gt Or S

Not a track guy but would not think that the S is not the bike best suited for the track. Again, think that the S is a great SPORT-tourer. Does both well but not the full on sport bike like the GXRs and others. Could be done but would not be my choice.

I read something that the Pirate posted the other day on this, which I think provides a nice summary. I think it is posted under the S section and in my opinion is worth a read and provides a good overview.

#14 ·
I'm not sure if this helps or not but this is my take. At least until tomorrow I currently own a 95 KLT and an 03 Ducati ST4s. I traded a 91 KRS for the LT and while I didn't regret it, in almost 12 years of ownership, I never fully warmed up to the LT. I was always trying to figure ways to make my LT more like the RS and believe me I tried. So two years ago I purchased the Ducati. The ST4s is a fantastic machine with a race track heritage. Just not the long distance mileage eater that I wanted either. So tomorrow I'm trading in my KLT for a 2006 KGT. I test rode the K1200S and it was fine but I wouldn't want to a 600 mile plus day on it. For me the KGT is the ticket. It should provide me with the best of both worlds satisfying my extreme corning desires while not beating me silly on long distance daily rides.

Good luck on your decision and let me know if you know anyone looking for a great Ducati!

#15 ·
I can speak to your question a little bit. I am an avid track rider and have raced in the afm here in ca some. I sold my 02 bmw r1150rt because I wanted an 05 gsxr 1000. I like the sport in sprt touring too. I have done some 500 mile days on the gsxr and it was not bad .. Anyway, last friday i went over to marin Bmw and spent the entire afternoon testriding all the current models . or four of them.. I rode The K 1200 s, the GT, the GS, and the RT. i was surprised by the RT i have to say. because after all the improvements i had heard about I felt immediately at home. The engine even "felt " the same to me albeit a bit more juicy. That same engine in the GS though was great, it must be tuning and gearing. I could definitely see getting a GS, it felt like a dirtbike and flicked back and forth effrtlessly. I rode the k1200 s but I have to sayI dont see why you wouldnt get a gsxr 1k if that is the kind of bike you want. Its nice BUT its heavy and long.. I was doing my testing on Lucas Valley Road out to highway 1 at Point Reyes Station. This is a classic twisty Road in the norhtern Ca style. The Gt just ate it up, Its not a 600 superstock but it does handle quite nicely and the power is really useable. I was over 100 mph for a few sections just to check itout and it made everything feel easy and low stress.. Can you tell I liked it? I wouldnt hesitate to recommend it from a riders stnadpoint and hope to maybe pick up a lightly used one in a year or so. Right now I am on an Aprilia Futura I picked up very economically that is all tricked out already but I could definitely see myself on the GT in the future. you feel like your onthe starship enterprise.. aAre you not near a dealer with demo's?

#16 ·
Snoggin,

Sounds like you ride a lot like me, track time and such, appreciate the feedback. The closest BMW dealer is about 100 miles from me, and he does not have demo's (small dealer, only demo's a couple times a year) The next one is about 5 hours away (Atlanta or Daytona), so no real chance to demo.

I think I'm going with the GT, based on what you guys have said, and the fact that I'm keeping my track bikes. I appreciate the feedback. Ome of my friends described what I am looking for as a Honda VFR, with a little better wind protection, but a lot more power...that sounds about right I guess....GT! :)

Thanks everyone..

#17 ·
DueNrth said:
Snoggin,

Sounds like you ride a lot like me, track time and such, appreciate the feedback. The closest BMW dealer is about 100 miles from me, and he does not have demo's (small dealer, only demo's a couple times a year) The next one is about 5 hours away (Atlanta or Daytona), so no real chance to demo.

I think I'm going with the GT, based on what you guys have said, and the fact that I'm keeping my track bikes. I appreciate the feedback. Ome of my friends described what I am looking for as a Honda VFR, with a little better wind protection, but a lot more power...that sounds about right I guess....GT! :)

Thanks everyone..
dont forget the twice the price part :D :hanged I am tempted though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.