2007 K1200 GT Issues - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2007, 4:36 pm Thread Starter
Noob

2007 K1200 GT Issues

I am seriously considering purchasing a K1200 GT very soon and I am interested in hearing about the major complaints concerning the motorcycle from current owners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2007, 5:06 pm
Veteran

Dude, not trying to be smug, but seriously......this is an issue that has been beaten to death here and on other boards too.

Please search and read a bit and you'll find LOTS of info.

BTW, there are NO complaints. It's a wonderful machine. Buy one.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2007, 5:27 pm
"DELIVERS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
BTW, there are NO complaints.
You gotta be kidding!

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2007, 1:19 am
IBR# 366

Yep, just start reading here.

If my GT was to get crashed or stolen tomorrow I'd buy another one just like it. 'Nuf said.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2007, 4:54 am

Thumbs up

Kriemer,

Excellent question deserving of an answer. The top 10 major complaints I have about my '07 K1200GT are as follows:

1- It is way too fast
2- It is way too good looking
3- It is way too comfortable on long rides
4- I tried like he_ _ to break it during the last 2 weeks during a 4600 miles stomp thru the mountains and I just wasn't able to do it....dang
5- There are far too many OEM and Aftermarket accesories and gear available to make the bike your very own...just to dang many tough decisions.
6- Almost once every 500 miles at least 1 person who I'm passing by, pedestrian and/or other bike/car driver just has to stop and tell me just how much they like my ride taking valuable time away from riding it. :wtf
7- Almost once every 100 miles at least 1 female person who I'm passing by, pedestrian and/or other bike/car driver just has to stop and tell me just how much they like my ride taking even more of my valuable time away from riding it.
8- It starts way too easily :p
9- It stops in a much shorter distance than any other bike I've owned
10- It will actually muddle along reasonably well on unpaved hard packed dirt and/or gravel roads making it far too tempting to get intentionally lost.

All kidding aside, on this and other forums you'll see the posting-gamut run from those who've purchased it and within a very short time and very low number of miles riden decided they just couldn't live with the bike and traded it in for something else. Simply did not fit them. All the way to the other end of the spectrum to folk like me who are happy as a clam with no major or minor complaints.

There are also some issues which for some reason certain of these K12GT bikes seem to be prone, others not without much in the way of definitive empiricale evidence as to why. You are doing well to research your decision. Keep looking/searching thru this and other similar forums then try to find a dealer that allows test rides...between them, you'll have your answer.

Regards,
Mike
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2007, 11:50 pm
Addict

Just bought my '06 GT around 90 days ago with 3,300+ miles on it, and have put on almost another 3k. I too asked questions on this and another forum, and even found and communicated with the previous owner via this method. I am very appreciative of every response I received, and took the plunge.

I'm a 20 year owner of a 1985 K100RT- its direct ancestor, and it’s the only other bike I've ever owned (of course I've kept it.). So I have appreciated the quality of the product and knew what to expect from dealer relationships surrounding BMW ownership before I began with the forums. Therefore, there was no consideration of another brand, and the GT was what I wanted, as it is now the only K-bike BMW offers like the K100RT- the LT is too "over-equipped" for me.

I'm very impressed with the GT. The “new generation” GT is an animal, plain and simple. Okay, I haven’t had or been on a new bike in 20 years, but WOW! It IS a FREAKING screamer. The raw qualities aren’t its only appeal- it definitely has the ride, feel and quality I’ve expected and been used to over the years, and I feel the style has updated lines that aren’t an overly freakish departure and will be awesome, classic BMW style 20 years from now, just like my RT. Parked side-by-side in the garage, it is a cool pair to own, and it is enjoyable to compare the two that are separated a by career-span of engineering, and most certainly, many technological revolutions. The GT so far, has been a great new experience that I am really happy to have.

If there have been issues, I have experienced the "touchy throttle" issue but seem to have quelled it with the "TPS Reset" procedure I only learned of from the forums, and I do also think from learning to ride it- it is from the start, a much more aggressive bike than the K100RT. I have been "concerned" about the various software revisions available and potential issues, so I don't think I'm compelled to change anything about my particular GT in the foreseeable future, and my dealer concurs- no further updates will be applied to my bike until other GT owner's experiences stabilize, or something creeps into mine. A big change I need to get used to is the sparse storage overall. The upfront storage- one little pocket on the right that barely anything fits into is not only small, but the door on it needs reversed- one can’t see into it because it opens TOWARDS the rider. It is a very illogical design to be sure, barely useful if at all for a touring bike. The side bags appear to be smaller than the integral bags of the K100RT, but I don’t have the actual specs. Please note that my bad experiences are therefore, not too bad at all.

A huge part of my total BMW bike-owning experience has been to be able to learn about the technology of the bike from the knowledgeable people who sell it- it adds a lot to the appreciation of the machine and the brand as a whole. This is important because one may easily own and ride one of these machines for 20 years and beyond. I think riders of other manufacturers products just can't say that as a routine. From my recent experience though, I think the dealers are being kept in the dark about information regarding GT issues. I have purposely asked several dealers A LOT of identical questions about the bike both before and after I bought it, and the honest, straight answers vary greatly. Through their frank comments, the information pipeline from BMW to the dealer seems to be short, and "they get what they get" for maintenance information and diagnosis updates. It also appears that the information is still changing- not a great situation, but has some parallels with the K100RT when it arrived.

My point here is that oddly enough, the dealers don't have the information I'd like to discuss a full year after the bike was introduced, but at least they (mine) are honest enough to admit it. Dealers who would rather like to give short, “vanilla” answers, or especially just don’t seem to care to take time to answer questions about what work they will perform in utterly complete detail regarding my $20,000.00 luxury investment, aren’t my dealers for service, period, and at $80 an hour, need to get a grip on reality and come up with a serious plan to get my business ever again. I've paid half as much for aircraft maintenance shop rates- maintenance that is highly regulated and where their liability, not to mention my reliance, is astronomical. Actual career maintenance professionals where numerous lives depend on them. Recently, one BMW dealer actually told me to call back with my questions immediately after my scheduling the upcoming 6k service for my GT, because they were “busy”. Yeah, they were busy- they were busy talking to me. They obviously did not get my business.

The bike is awesome, the technology is awesome, the information is getting there, and this forum helps out a great deal. However, a great piece of advice my dealer gave me to was to learn about the bike any way possible, but don’t get so caught up in potential negatives so as not to enjoy it. It still is a new machine. It isn't a toaster, it is a high performance machine. The dealers seem to be generally doing the best they can with the information they don't have. Some just more than others. Overall, it is artwork- go get one.

Last edited by Brahma; Jul 1st, 2007 at 12:53 am.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2007, 1:28 am
JIS

I guess you’ll have made up your mind by now? I own a 2003 K1200GT and the bikes are completely different. The things I love about the “old” K1200Gt are precisely the things that I dislike about the new 1200. Admittedly I have “only” put 100 miles on the new K, but, for what it’s worth, the following things make be pleased to have the old model :-
• The engine is as smooth as silk with a gorgeous roar above 5000 rpm
• The brakes are incredible; smooth progressive and VERY powerful
• The gearbox is smooth compared to other BM’s (including the new K1200GT, which I found clunky)
• The seat comfort is excellent and I prefer the slightly forward position; the new GT is “sit-up and beg”
So, in a nutshell; engine, gearbox and brakes. BUT, as you’ll have read, there are many people who love the new K1200GT, which is just as well. For me however, it’s hard to know what on earth I could change to and the new K forward-inclined in-line 4 is rough compared to the “brick” (flat four); and that means a lot to my riding enjoyment.
Good luck !

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2007, 3:35 am

Just bought on 07 GT and I have 500 miles on it. So it is just about perfect for me. My only complaint is it comes with everything therefore not allowing me to stuff to make it better (which I usually do). It is awesome.

I am very glad I bought it! The brakes require the least effort of any bike I have owned, the motor is awesome. It does make want to do some squid stomping way too often! I find the cancellation button for the directionals a bit hard to reach. Other than that, I love it. The throttle is a bit touchy, but that is what I expected on a bike this powerful.

My only real complaint is I have a Garmin GPS I want to mount using my touratech mount (for the vibration insulation, strength and to be able to lock it on the bike) and I have been unable to find a mount that puts the GPS low between the handle bars so I can still me my gauges and lights. I have one from Gadget Guy (puts it up too high) and several others but nothing I like so far. This is to be expected with any new style bike. I expect that soon someone will make a good one. This bike is too damn pretty to mount something on it that looks like a small mountain of aluminum.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2007, 9:52 am

Get the Garmin motorcycle mount and a piece of 1/8 aluminum 2.5" x 4" and shape your own GPS mount. Mine (picture attached) is totally clear of all my gauges, locks, and pops off easy at the end of the day.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill
Just bought on 07 GT and I have 500 miles on it. So it is just about perfect for me. My only complaint is it comes with everything therefore not allowing me to stuff to make it better (which I usually do). It is awesome.

I am very glad I bought it! The brakes require the least effort of any bike I have owned, the motor is awesome. It does make want to do some squid stomping way too often! I find the cancellation button for the directionals a bit hard to reach. Other than that, I love it. The throttle is a bit touchy, but that is what I expected on a bike this powerful.

My only real complaint is I have a Garmin GPS I want to mount using my touratech mount (for the vibration insulation, strength and to be able to lock it on the bike) and I have been unable to find a mount that puts the GPS low between the handle bars so I can still me my gauges and lights. I have one from Gadget Guy (puts it up too high) and several others but nothing I like so far. This is to be expected with any new style bike. I expect that soon someone will make a good one. This bike is too damn pretty to mount something on it that looks like a small mountain of aluminum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	5503  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2007, 7:07 pm

I use the ZTechnik mount that uses the unused mirror mounting hole in either the left or right handgrip control and mounted the cushioned Touratech Garmin mount on it. It doesn't block any gauges or warning lights. Installation or removal is 1 bolt and a single 2-pin SAE plug. You can see the mount HERE.

Rusty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode