BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Windscreens

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  JamesM 
#1 ·
I am just about to take delivery on a 2007 K1200GT. My dimensions are 5'10", 150 lbs, and I have a 30" inseam and I would like to know what windscreen dimensions would work out well for me. I am considering Cee Bailey, Aeroflow, and Z Technic screens at the moment. I am open to considering other windscreens as well.

#2 ·
kriemer said:
I am just about to take delivery on a 2007 K1200GT. My dimensions are 5'10", 150 lbs, and I have a 30" inseam and I would like to know what windscreen dimensions would work out well for me. I am considering Cee Bailey, Aeroflow, and Z Technic screens at the moment. I am open to considering other windscreens as well.
Search around there has been plenty of discussion. MY +5+3 CB cracked at a 100mph going straight into about a 45 mph headwind. Others here have reported the same thing, although rumor has it they are now making it thicker. Again search, lots of discussion.

#3 ·
At 5' 10" you'll be fine with the stock (tall) shield. I'm 6'4" and I'm not fine with it - too short. I'll look at the rally next week for an option. The CB +4+2 blocked the mirrors sight line and was optically incorrect. May the Ztechnik or Aeroflow will work.

#4 ·
Screen

Woud suggest that you consider the -2tall/+2 wide Cee Bailey for the summer. I had posted on this earlier. Have made a long trip with this combo and cant be happier.

I am a bit taller - just about 5'11" and this works terrific for me. The +2 wider i think is a critical issue in keeping noise to a minimum.

Oh yes, the dark tint looks terrific.

#5 ·
kriemer said:
Windscreens are like seats - everyone's opinion varies about what's best for them. I'm just a little shorter than you ... the bike came with the tall factory screen which I thought had pretty bad buffeting. Changed for a +2,+2 CeeBailey, positioned at about 1/3 up ... works fine overall and haven't moved it. I comfortably look over the top of the screen and the flip throws the windstream over my helmet.

#7 ·
EzyMount said:
Now that opinion depends on who your passenge is, that is if you have one ?

I thought my screen choice was fine, until my wife put her .02 in ! Seems like
the C.B. does not work for my passenger ? too much wind ?
That would be the flip ... works great for solo, but actually increases turbulence after the fact - i.e. pillion gets real dirty air.

#8 ·
why change

kriemer said:
You will be fine with the BMW "tall" shield. It's way too short for normal size people, though. :rotf:

#9 ·
I have the CalSci XL screen, posioned just a tad up. Could have done with the Large version, though.

This is the difference with the BMW tall screen:

The shape seen from the side is also different. The BMW bends towards the rider, while the CalSci screen goes straight up. The CalSci screen guides the wind higher over the rider.

BMW tall screen:

CalSci XL screen:

I'm happy with it. Finally there is silence...

#10 ·
Aero Flow

Here is the link to Aero Flow. It got a good review on another site and you won't need to wait for the new style LT. It looks like you could remove the wind screen and just ride with the inside air dam in hot weather.

http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/K1200GT.htm

I bought an XL Cal Sci a couple months ago. It gives better protection than the BMW tall on a low saddle. I'm a long bodied 5'11". It is really only somewhat better. I run it up till the back pressure starts, then edge it down a bit to reduce the turbulence.

I hear at least one supplier is working on a cab for the KGT for us older guys. :dunno:

#11 ·
At 5'08" the stock tall screen was definitly tall enough to keep me out of the elements, but man was my helmet getting bounced around by turbulent noisy air. I picked up a Ztechnik and couldn't be happier. I run with the shield down lower than I had the stock screen and it's still quieter and less turbulent. Downsides are when the windshield is all the way down part of my review mirror view is through the sides of the windshield and obviously less airflow on those warm days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.