Next Gen K1200GT - Rumor Watch - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 11:05 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

Next Gen K1200GT - Rumor Watch

Welcome to the November issue of the Next Gen K1200GT rumor watch. The little birdies have been chirping a lot today and the air is abuzz with excitement. Like giddy schoolchildren with super duper double stick a needle in your eye best friends promise secret, some sources just can't keep from spillin' the beans. So here it goes...
  1. The K1200GT is officially on the production calendar and is slated for production beginning in January. The pre-production mules have been through their paces, logging over 200,000 miles (or would that be kilometers), and the new K1200GT has been ready for production since the break in August. Just with all the attention on the HP2, GS Adventure, and the new R1200S and F800 bikes, the GT had to wait its turn.
  2. Some US dealers have been given details on the new K1200GT, including available colors, options, and delivery dates. I can't get a single person to spill the beans on pricing. That probably means they don't know. The January production date, along with certain dealers getting an advance product update still leaves the march/april timeframe rumors alive and well.
  3. While there's no hard data on the specifications, the general rumor consensus says that the new GT will have 153 or 157 HP (can't remember if it was 10 less than the S or 10 less than the R), have an electronic cruise control, electric windscreen, heated comfort seat, and heated grips. Rear cases will be identical to the R1200RT, and the front fairing will be larger than the current K1200S and smaller than the R1200RT. "Think something more ST-ish, but not" (that's a quote). The spy pictures from Spain are fuzzy, but they are the "real deal".
  4. No word on whether or not the GT will be shown at the Milan show later this month or shown anywhere before the dealer meeting in Q1 of 2006.
More news as soon as I get it...

Last edited by eljeffe; Nov 3rd, 2005 at 11:15 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2005, 1:27 pm

Thanks for the Heads-up Jeff; it's been just about a month since I've discussed "new" bikes (the upcoming GT) with anyone in the dealer net-work around here.

One other little comment at that time was that BMW is planning a more "organized" advertising blitz than acompanied the release of the K-S, ST, and RT last spring in the U.S.
Sure hope that includes the K-GT.

Based on a few leading comments already seen on this forum, it sure looks like the first real pictures of the GT will be greeted with a chorus of combined Cheers and Boos depending on how the styling is accepted by those interested in the new bike. That'l be first, then comes the technical analysis of the features, dimensions, and engineering.

Looking forward to anything else you can add before the launch of the GT.

Miles
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2005, 2:36 pm

Pricing

My dealer told me the price he'd sell me a 06 K1200 GT for would be MSRP, whatever that turns out to be.......after giving it some thought, I cancelled the deal thinking that you'd be a fool to pay MSRP for a $20,000 bike. After all, with the economy doing down the tubes, interest rates along with unemployment rising, not to mention insurance rates for performance bikes are going thru the roof. This should meaning BMW dealers are going to have a hard time unloading these cash cows and should be willing to deal...Hell, the Yamaha dealers are discounting the NEW (ALREADY SOLD OUT) 06 FJRAE 15% off MSRP......and the bike is only $15,000

You guys tell me, are BMW dealers so stuck on MSRP that they typically won't budge? How much have you gotten off? Inquiring minds want to know.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2005, 3:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by downn2

You guys tell me, are BMW dealers so stuck on MSRP that they typically won't budge? How much have you gotten off? Inquiring minds want to know.....
I will NEVER EVER pay MSRP for a BMW motorcycle. All that dealer loyalty means around where I live is the privledge of being ripped off again. I am quite willing to go back to Florida for my next bike as well.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2005, 6:41 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

That's the price you pay for wanting the newest, coolest thing. Hell, you couldn't get an iPod Nano for less than 10% over MSRP the first couple weeks it came out. Now you can get them for 10% off at various places.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2005, 6:41 pm

Msrp

Hey Guys,

I am the 1st to spend hours or days to get the very best price when it comes to buying anything with a motor in it but........when you wanty to be the 1st on the block to have that new "whatever" the chance of stealing it is slim. From the dealer perspective he realizes that shipments will be small and there are plenty of customers willing to pay
full tilt(ala Harley). And you are right in some areas the economy is in or headed for the toilet and for single branded stores it is going to be tough keeping the doors open. I ride
a 1150 rt that that I got a great deal on so paying more for the gt I have on order
will just average out as do most things in life anyway.

Phil
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2005, 8:46 pm
Enthusiast

Rumors

I was astonished to read that the economy is going down the tubes, interest rates and unemployment are rising, and bike insurance rates are going through the roof.

The exact opposite is actually happening in two catagories. Yes, those interest and unemployment rates have climbed a whole 1/4 point recently (but are still at record lows). The economy is on fire because interest rates are low, and my bike insurance premium has fallen each year for the past three years. If the sumbitch gets much lower they'll be insuring my KRS for free.

Last edited by K_Biker_Bill; Nov 4th, 2005 at 8:52 pm.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2005, 9:43 pm

It's amazing to me what people perceive as "getting a good deal". The 10% off at a dealer that's offering that "big sale" sounds neat, but in reality it may end up costing you money.

Let's make a few of assumptions in my scenario:

1. My dealer is a couple of blocks away.
2. Dealer that as 10% off of a $19,000 bike is about 500 miles away.
3. I am having someone drive me down to pickup the bike and ride it back.

So what it really boils down to is how much your time is worth to you. Let's give a round number of $100/hr. Maybe your time to you is worth less than that, but it gives us a round number to talk about.

My dealer: $19,000
Other dealer : $17,100 (10% off)
Perceived savings: $1,900

Ok, so I'm "saving" $1,900 right?

Now for the expenses:
Cost per mile to drive...let's say $.25 per mile for fuel and wear and tear on the vehicle. 1500 miles round trip (remember, someone is driving you to there and back AND you have to ride your new motorcyle back....that's 3 one-way trips): $375

Time: 20 hours (10 more hours than it would take you at your local dealer). Average 50 miles per hour driving (OK so I drive like a granny). $2000

So that brings us a grand total of $2375 in this scenario. Your time may be worth more or less per hour. Or you may have to buy a plane ticket to Florida or something in order to get another 5% off.

How much did you save?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2005, 10:40 pm

Good Math, Except...

Hi GSDave,

Yup, that's what is interesting about anytime you think you're saving money - it may not actually be a savings.

FYI, the IRS has ruled that until 12-31-05, the deduction for mileage is 48.5 cents. Yup. Darn near half a buck!

"The rate will increase to 48.5 cents a mile for all business miles driven between Sept. 1 and Dec. 31, 2005. This is an increase of 8 cents from the 40.5 cent rate in effect for the first eight months of 2005, as set forth in Rev. Proc. 2004-64."

That puts the 1500 mile trip at $727.50, which is a sizeable dent in the original savings!

Have a great weekend!

JS
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2005, 2:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdave
It's amazing to me what people perceive as "getting a good deal". The 10% off at a dealer that's offering that "big sale" sounds neat, but in reality it may end up costing you money.

Let's make a few of assumptions in my scenario:

1. My dealer is a couple of blocks away.
2. Dealer that as 10% off of a $19,000 bike is about 500 miles away.
3. I am having someone drive me down to pickup the bike and ride it back.

So what it really boils down to is how much your time is worth to you. Let's give a round number of $100/hr. Maybe your time to you is worth less than that, but it gives us a round number to talk about.

My dealer: $19,000
Other dealer : $17,100 (10% off)
Perceived savings: $1,900

Ok, so I'm "saving" $1,900 right?

Now for the expenses:
Cost per mile to drive...let's say $.25 per mile for fuel and wear and tear on the vehicle. 1500 miles round trip (remember, someone is driving you to there and back AND you have to ride your new motorcyle back....that's 3 one-way trips): $375

Time: 20 hours (10 more hours than it would take you at your local dealer). Average 50 miles per hour driving (OK so I drive like a granny). $2000

So that brings us a grand total of $2375 in this scenario. Your time may be worth more or less per hour. Or you may have to buy a plane ticket to Florida or something in order to get another 5% off.

How much did you save?

How about forgetting about all the "my time stuff" and just ship it back. You can ship a bike pretty much anywhere in the US for $500 delivered to your door. I bought my K 2 years ago and saved $2k from local dealer prices, and added $500 shipping.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode