BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

07 GT engine toast

5K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Bitwobbly 
#1 ·
I have reached the end of my rope with this bike, while riding on the Oregon coast I experienced the bbs and throttle sticking, the bike was a handfull riding through construction areas trying to put it in gear at 4 thousand rpm, a couple Harley guys were giving me funny looks. I cut the trip short and headed to Eugene, Oregon on the way back to Idaho where they upgraded the software which seemed to help for awhile. My dealer ordered a new air box, throttle pos?, and new software which they said would cure the problem. While waiting for the parts that never came, I told my wife lets make a loop through Oregon, spend the night in Hood River, if at any time the bike acts up we will head home. As we got off the freeway and only a few miles from home I thought I could hear some valve train noise. The following day I dropped the bike off at the dealer, got a call later that day telling me that the oil holding tank and oil pan was full of bearing material ( made me feel all warm and fuzzy when 50 miles ago my wife and I were doing 70 mile an hour sweepers). Im frustrated with the bike as well as BMW, their technical expertise seems to be waning, thursday will be 3 weeks and they still have not responded with what they are going to do. This bike was a blast to ride for awhile, nearing retirement all I wanted was a smoother motor than my RT with a little more soup, my sife says we should have kept the 03 RT, I think shes right.

#3 ·
Well sorry to hear it. Just another in what seems to be a problem prone machine. Though this is the first I've heard of an engine giving up the ghost. I got to ask though....how many miles on the machine? Were you good about maintenance? Sounds like a fluke thing with the engine. Let us know if you find out what caused it. Hope your dealer makes it right, mine just sort of looked like a deer in the headlights when I brought up the new air box and high idle issues. They will be replacing it whether they like it or not. As soon as the new air box is available.

#5 ·
Nowooods said:
Robert, the bike has 4400 miles on it, 6 months old, dealer did 600 mile service. Oil consumption was 2-3 ounces every 300 miles or so.
2 to 3 ounces every 300 miles or so?! :wtf :yeow: That's a veritable Exxon Valdez of oil! That should have been the first warning sign. Something was definitely amiss in the first place. These engines tolerances are so good now that they shouldn't give up a drop. I've run the shit out of mine for days straight for 10+ hours at a time averaging 70 mph or better in 100+ degree heat and never burned / used a drop. Period. Have used Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40 since first change.

Sounds like at least you'll be covered under warranty. Sorry for your dilemma. :(

#6 ·
Your experience with the high idle is similar to mine. The new software makes the bike rideable but with the original software it idled at 4000 + rpm and was a real handful. At least now it idles at 2200 mostly once warmed up and will slow to idle properly if you brake and force the engine to slow down. I am still waiting for the fix from BMW and sent an email yesterday to the dealer to find out what is happening. so far no reply.

The silly thing for me was that I couldn't fault the engine management until I rode it away from the 10000km (6000 mile) service. After that it got terrible high idle and it was reduced to a manageable but still annoying level by the the software upgrade.

Your oil consumption seems very high. I never have to add oil between 10000km services. So far I'm up to 16000km and still on the original Z6 tyres, so according to most guys on this site I don't know how to ride!! Maybe there has been a problem with your engine since the bike was new.

Hope you get it all fixed and are happy again with a superb bike in the near future.

#7 ·
BobD said:
So far I'm up to 16000km and still on the original Z6 tyres, so according to most guys on this site I don't know how to ride!!
Not that you don't know how Bob, just that you're not using the throttle correctly! ;) ;) :p: :D

#9 ·
That seems like a lot of oil to swallow. I can understand oil swallowing on the boxer, but not the K. Mine doesn't - and hasn't - used any oil between changes.

Someone sounds like they were asleep when they assembled your engine. I'd also demand they replace that stinkin' airbox if you ever want to see your idle again while they figure out how to replace the $10,500 (U.S. dollars) engine.

Doesn't sound like your dealer is doing their best either.

#11 ·
Nowooods said:
Robert, the bike has 4400 miles on it, 6 months old, dealer did 600 mile service. Oil consumption was 2-3 ounces every 300 miles or so.
One thing you should be aware of is BT in Boise lost their premier "K" bike tech about 3 mos. ago. I bought the first GT in '06 in Idaho and have had some issues but not like yours. I would speak directly with Henry on this, if you're firm with him, he will put pressure on BMW.
Part of your problems may be the lack of anyone qualified at the dealership. Don't give up on the GT yet. I came from an '04 RT, and wouldn't go back.

#12 ·
Robert_W said:
Just another in what seems to be a problem prone machine.

I respect most of what you post here but I just have to disagree with this statement.

I know you and others are dealing with the BBS and high idle, and I do feel for you and your frustration. But lots of riders hear love the bike and are riding it hard.

But I guess only really time will tell....

#13 ·
Well Hazard I love the bike too but that doesn't mean it's not problem prone. I mean come on,...... high idle, BBS, air box, ECU, software issues, rear drives, ignition antenna, heat issues, brake wires / sensors, etc etc. And now we start to read about guys with blown engines / oil burning. There are other things too but I think you get the idea. These aren't just a few isolated bikes, but what seem to be a fairly decent percentage of them with at least some of these issues. Yes there are guys out there that haven't had too many if any real issues, however far too many are having them for a 20 some odd thousand dollar machine. I'm just calling a spade a spade is all. I realize that there are issues with almost any new model machine, however, once again, it's a freakin' BMW and it cost a shitload of cash! We should expect more and not settle for less. Way too many people just accept poorer quality and workmanship nowadays but maybe that's just a sign of the times and another thread.

I still would like to get a definitive answer to the "production numbers" thread cause even if we take the high side and say that maybe there's been 2500 of these machines produced each year, then as far as I'm concerned there's an awful large percentage of folks having issues for what we pay for them. I was very surprised at how many people have had at least minor issues when I asked for those that had any kind of mileage without problems. Most responses were something to the effect of "minor problems, but we can deal with them, great bike though." Also, very few responded with any kind of real mileage, say 40 to 50k or more. And yes I realize that it's a fairly new model, however there are die hards out there. (Maybe they all blew FD's in the Iron Butt and are too afraid to post!) However, as I said.......I love my bike and hopefully it won't leave me stranded! 11k and going strong and 98% of the time I can't seem to wipe the grin off of my face! ;) :D

(Except when the idle jumps up to 4 grand as I'm downshifting to 1st or 2nd gear in the rain and traffic :yeow: )

#14 ·
Robert_W said:
(Except when the idle jumps up to 4 grand as I'm downshifting to 1st or 2nd gear in the rain and traffic :yeow: )
Robert, at least it keeps our brains active. You are never sure what the bike will do when slowing down so it makes life really interesting as you say. The other day I was going around a roundabout in second gear with my 13 year old son on the back and it decided to stay at 2500rpm. I didn't want to brake so my foot peg scraped unexpectedly as I turned.

The good thing is that I had 10000km with perfect throttle control that you couldn't fault so I know what the bike can be like. My high idle began when I noticed a difference driving away from my 10000km service and the next day it got full blown high idle syndrome after doing 40km at freeway speeds in cool weather, in the middle of our winter.
the first 10000km was mainly in our summer with 90 to 115 degrees and everything was perfect.

#15 ·
Nowooods said:

Nowoods,

There is a service bulletin for a recall on the oil tank level sensor. The sensor was belatedly replaced on my 12/06 build 07 model. As I remember it, oil can drain from a failed sensor cover. Was that fix performed on your bike, or has someone verified the need for it on your bike?

When I had my airbox changed, at 2k miles, the tech found a cracked secondary air valve. I believe this happened as a result of extremely high temps in the airbox region during early ring seating that were exacerbated by excessive leaning during airbox warping and idle control valve hangups. Your current engine problems may also be related to damage during excessive temps and excessive leaning.

I've got my fingers crossed that the new airbox next month will bring my bike back to normal. I'm a little worried that there may have been heat related damage to the engine that won't surface for another 20-30k miles.

If you get a new engine (presumably with the thermal design issues resolved) as a result of your current issues, and I can't imagine any other outcome, you may be the lucky one here!

#16 ·
I had a Aprilia Futura so I was on those forums. I have been looking at these sites, Yamaha sites (fjr) and Kawasaki sites (concours) and Ducati sites (ST3). It seems to me that what happened to me with the futura and a Jetta I have is that you have a problem so you get on the internet looking for an answer. If they had been one of the ones that were fine I never would have even been on here looking, I would have been out riding. I think the responses to something like this are extremely weighted toward problem bikes.

#17 ·
You Betcha

bird said:
I had a Aprilia Futura so I was on those forums. I have been looking at these sites, Yamaha sites (fjr) and Kawasaki sites (concours) and Ducati sites (ST3). It seems to me that what happened to me with the futura and a Jetta I have is that you have a problem so you get on the internet looking for an answer. If they had been one of the ones that were fine I never would have even been on here looking, I would have been out riding. I think the responses to something like this are extremely weighted toward problem bikes.
Amen

#18 ·
Howfly, my GT was built in Nov. 06, one month before yours, they did a recall on oil tank screen at 600 mile service, don't remember anything about sensor. They still don't know what caused the engine failure, but I hope to hear something positive this week where were going with this.

#19 ·
Nowooods said:
Howfly, my GT was built in Nov. 06, one month before yours, they did a recall on oil tank screen at 600 mile service, don't remember anything about sensor. They still don't know what caused the engine failure, but I hope to hear something positive this week where were going with this.
Nowoods,

Very interested in your report.

Guy

#20 ·
I'm afraid my GT's is no more.
At 9,500 miles main bearing failure and seized crankshaft.
With compensation from BMW now changed back to an R1200RT.

What a great bike the GT was though, fast, comfy and handled well. I have been loaned the dealers 07 GT demo 'till the RT arrives and I have to say it is a different bike to the 06. Really sweet gearbox NO CLUNKING, better brakes NO SERVO seems much better all round.

I'm sure going to miss the 'missile' but can't trust it to be reliable as I'm doing seven European tours next year.

Dave

#21 ·
Out of curiosity, how did you know the oil consumption was so high, in particular, did you check the oil that regularly, or was the oil warning light (!) coming on? I think most here would agree that this consumption is very unusual.
Thanks, Greg

#22 ·
Bitwobbly said:
I'm afraid my GT's is no more.
At 9,500 miles main bearing failure and seized crankshaft.
With compensation from BMW now changed back to an R1200RT.

What a great bike the GT was though, fast, comfy and handled well. I have been loaned the dealers 07 GT demo 'till the RT arrives and I have to say it is a different bike to the 06. Really sweet gearbox NO CLUNKING, better brakes NO SERVO seems much better all round.

I'm sure going to miss the 'missile' but can't trust it to be reliable as I'm doing seven European tours next year.

Dave
And yet another one bites it? :wtf :( Well that sucks! Sorry to hear it. Can you give us details? Were there warning signs? Oil consumption? Noise? Vibration? Was the bike serviced properly? Did you beat the hell out of it? Etc Etc.

I can understand your hesitation about getting another but maybe you should get an '08 out of the deal. You're going to miss it! ;)

#23 ·
GregC said:
Out of curiosity, how did you know the oil consumption was so high, in particular, did you check the oil that regularly, or was the oil warning light (!) coming on? I think most here would agree that this consumption is very unusual.
Thanks, Greg
The bike has used oil since day one, (had a 03 RT which used oil, never thought anything about it), on a few rides over 1000miles I would pack oil, after a 400mile day would check oil right after shutoff and it would be between high and low marks, would add about 2 ounces to bring to high mark. I check air pressures once a week and generally oil level at the end of a long ride. I feel like I know half of you guys (never having anything to contribute untill now) there has been much information on this and other sites as far as break-in, I would say Im somewhere in the middle. I did not baby this bike, top speed is not important, but I love acceleration, most of you guys are too young to understand when I say this bike sounds like a 4-barrel Holley kicking in when you reach 7000rpm, I'm going too miss that going to a RT but I won't have issues like I do now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.