BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

The '08 Montana GT Meet and Ride. Any interest?

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Robert_W 
#1 ·
Alright folks, this got some interest in another thread so instead of hijacking that I thought I'd give it a semi official thread of it's own. This would be the place for any one to express thoughts, ideas, yeahs or neahs, and if you'd really be showing up or not. And while I think this would be a great idea for a certain # of people, if there's any single riders out there that want to pass through at any given time of year that's fine too. I don't want a "rally" so to speak, just an informal gathering in an absolutely wonderful part of the country to ride.

If this gets the interest I'll post something more official with tons more info on the area, roads / rides to get here, dealers along your route, places to see, eat, etc etc.

One caveat before I get started. This is really hard to do without some thinking it's shameless self promotion so before anybody goes down those lines, please, all I'm trying to do is make a good offer to those fellow riders of similar interest.

So here's what I'm thinking. This is great riding country in every direction. You could spend a lot of time and not get sick of it. We're sort of centralized. We're also off the beaten path but easy to get to. Still the "undiscovered" part of Montana. Incredible scenery. Glacier NP is 2 1/2 hours away, BC and the Canadian Rockies 1 1/2 hours (passport needed now), Idaho is next door, lots of mountain roads with lakes and rivers, 70 - 90 mph sweepers, twisties, straight 100+ shots, vistas, or just sit back and cruise and lots more. And very few LEO's! :teeth

This is what I do: http://www.kroutfitters.com There's tons of info about the area and maps on the site so take a look.

Most of you will be interested in the lodging part, though if any one wanted to fish while they were here we can talk about that separately. We are also very spouse friendly gentlemen, so if you need to talk a SO into this, just direct them to the pics of where they would stay on our site. Trust me, if your looking for an excuse to get your wife out or the only way she'll go is if she has a nice place to stay, she'll love it. I get this all the time with fly fisherman.

So here's what I'm offering to the members of this board: (Any bike welcome, not just GT's) Realizing that not every one's time table can fit together I would also make this offer available to you folks if you're just passing through this way and need a place to stay. Though in our busiest season, 7/1 - 9/30 I'd have to impose a 2 night minimum. Off season though if you just wanted a night or two that would be fine.

OK, here's the deal for the meet up: My thoughts are 2 or 3 nights @ 30% off our regular rates which are $200 a night. So that's $140 a night for the guest house. We have 3 and they will each sleep 2 to 5 depending on configuration and how well you know each other. My thinking is that if a couple or more of you guys know each other well enough you could split the lodging fee. So that would only be $70 or less a night each. Dates TBD. We do some riding, gathering for burgers and such at the local watering hole's, day trips here and there etc etc. As informal as possible. Every body does what they want. Ride together, or not. A few this way and a few that. Maybe meet at a different suggested spot, maybe back at the ranch for a BBQ. That kind of thing. This could be a destination or just a stop along the way if you're already thinking of a road trip out this way. (Personally I think it's just a stop as I could spend a lifetime riding in the northern Rockies and BC.)

I also have a couple of other cabins and rooms elsewhere off the ranch too, they're a little more rustic, but they have H/C water, showers, electric, etc. If we get enough folks interested I'd open those up. There's also a couple of hotels in the town 30 minutes away that could be utilized. Actually there's a few but only 1 or 2 that I would recommend any one sleep in.

And, if any one is a camper and just wants to pitch a tent, we have a couple of stellar campsites on the ranch that are creekside with shelters, fire rings and picnic tables. There's also a shower and laundry to use. We charge $20 night for those and you could put 1 or 2 bikes / small tents at either. Though 1 site is more suited to a GS, it's possible on the GT and the views are stunning.

A couple of other things before I forget. The ranch is 1 mile off the pavement on a WELL maintained dirt road. Quite ridable on any machine, but worth mentioning none the less. Also, there's a big shop for those of you that like to or would want to work or do any maintenance on your bike. IE... oil change, cleaning, yada yada.

If we can do this in our off season, that would be great as I'd like to ride with some of you folks too, though any time is a great time to ride, middle to end of June is prime riding season up here. So is mid Sept thru mid Oct. The tourists and RV's have all but disappeared. Also the weather is nicer. You're out of the heat of summer, and it does get hot here in July and August especially. 100's +. Cool nights though. However I'm open to discussion to any time. But if we were to do this during our prime season it would have to be something to get booked and reserved soon.

Anyway, I'm rambling and the purpose of this was to see if any one would want to do this in the first place. So:

Who's up for this? Seriously? Thought's, ideas, suggestions? Dates? Consenscious? Let me know.

Robert

See less See more
#2 ·
My fault on hi-jacking the other thread also, I do tend to butt in when the subject gets interesting, ha!

I started OTC elk hunting in CO in 2001, with 3 other internet traditional hunters. I went to NM 05 and 06 (lottery only) by myself, well with my 3 llamas. MT was always on the long list, but the drive with trailer always snuffed it.

Anyhoo, SO has never been to JellyStone, so I promised her a trip, missed the window last year when we went to West Virginia with the Un-Rally crowd (great fun by the way). So this year we will try and take it in on the way to Oregon around July. Bottom line I am limited by SO's vacation time, but we will be watching this thread with interest.

Noticed the temp up there on your website, 30, it was 27 this am on picking up my GT. The GT has a little snow Icon that flashes, it was 29, temp flashes also, ha.

#3 ·
conrocks said:
How about doing it when the Bear Tooth Rendezvous is going in August? I know the roads around there are great but I'm sure there some others that are just as good.
Sure, great, no problem. Any and all ideas welcome. Keep them coming. Beartooths are awesome. A good days ride away so it could would work out great for any one coming or going.

#4 ·
Great idea, Robert. I am planning a two week trip next year that will include Montana and I was going to Pm you and see if you could maybe "take off" for a day or two. I was thinking late June or September, to miss most of the tourists, but I am retired and any time would be ok, as long as I don't have to worry about snow in the high country. :D Yeah, I know it can snow in July, but it is usually just slush.

#5 ·
I'm a tentative "IN." Money will be a major issue for me this year, but I have a bit of vacation to burn, so the steep discount and the chance to play with fellow riders is always good for my soul!

I've got Aug. 7-19 off, around Sept. 1-9, or May 7-27 off, and i might be able to move some of those around a bit...

I hope something firms up soon, as my schedule becomes less and less flexible as the year progresses...

Thanks so much for the offer Robert!

#6 ·
Great, more interest. Keep em coming and maybe we can get together some sort of consenscious on dates. I still would suggest steering away from July or August cause it's just down right HOT in the inter mountain west most years. However if those are the dates that seem to work best for most folks we'll go with it. Just have to wait and see how much interest this generates and take it from there.

#9 ·
Interested here as well, if you'll allow a K12RT to attend. :D

I'll be watching for the dates to firm up.

#11 ·
grifscoots said:
When y'all firm this up, we'll do a seperate heading and sticky it to make it more manageable.

Good idea Grif. Might wait a while though and see if we get some more dates thrown in. Then if it looks like they're all leaning towards a certain range it could make it easier. It may just come down to setting a date and just going with it but we'll see. Sometimes it easier to just make a decision and do it. Lets give it a few days or a week or so and see where this goes. Then I'll set out some dates and more info. Remember guys, this is all just supposed to be an informal gathering amongst fellow riders. There's enough rallies and big organized events out there already. Think of this as your own private get together. Thanks.

#12 ·
Well my ride this year was the reason I bought the GT. Wife, I, Brother, another couple and another friend will all be meeting in Durango, CO and heading north to Banff.

Montana and the Great White North are fantastic riding roads. Been through there before.

I'll check with the others and see what they think of a visit.

So is the week of Jul 14-18 off-season for you?

Mike

#13 ·
Well, mid July is definitely busy season. But like I said, if it works for you guys we'll do it. I'm traveling for the next 3 weeks but will check in periodically. If there doesn't seem to be a consensus, or if there really isn't enough guys wanting to meet up here, the offer still stands for any of you folks that want to come through when ever. It's still a great place to be even if there aren't a bunch of you. Just contact me via our site. Email is best as I'll be on the road for a while.

#15 ·
Best week

I too could be convinced to come hang out with you guys, since I am going to be in the area for the 3rd week of July for the BMW MOA Rally in Gillette. However that is just an excuse for me to get away on my bike for 10 days or so in the western US...

Also if anyone is going to the BMW RA Rally in Houghton Michigan in the 3rd week of June, I am going to run up for that one too!

Pete

#17 ·
Well gentlemen, I'm back from the first of my annual road trips. (Business, not bike) Got another one to do in March but at least that one takes me to warmer weather.

Anyhow I haven't been able to check in much. But it doesn't look like this has garnered that much interest except from a few. July is pretty much out of the question at this point cause we are almost filled up with our regular clientèle even this early in the year. Probably what would be best is that instead of trying to coordinate it so every one were here at the same time, lets just keep it at this.......if any of you guys / gals want to, or are heading up this way, when ever, just contact me and I will set you up with lodging @ 30% off. It;s great riding country.

Grif, you can "un-sticky" this if you want as I'm pretty sure it's been seen by all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.