Farkle Mounting to the Handlebars - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2008, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

Farkle Mounting to the Handlebars

The back side of the handlebars has two black Allen bolts that seem to do little other than hold a retainer for electrical cables to the switchgear. These can be used to conveniently hold various farkledge with a little work using handheld power tools on extruded aluminum stock you can get from a home improvement center. There’s no permanent modification to the bike itself. A 3/8” hole in 1/8” aluminum still leaves adequate thread on the Allen bolt to screw it into the handlebars. The cable retainer includes a soft pad, potentially providing a little vibration isolation to the farkle as well.

The first pic shows using one Allen bolt to mount a small and light farkle. The aluminum is a half-twist of 1x1/8” stove-bolted to a piece of an old shower curtain for holding something intended for tubular handlebars. In this case, it’s holding the black rail-mount adapter of the Garmin eTrex that I used before getting a Zumo. The stubby 90-degree bend at the bottom of the aluminum braces it against the bike’s cable retainer to keep the aluminum from rotating about the Allen bolt.

The second pic shows aluminum for using both Allen bolts. It’s 1” L-shaped stock in which I made cut-outs to clear the handlebars. Brushed finish with emery cloth gives it a modern look, and, more importantly, hides the teeth marks I clumsily made in using a vice with metal jaws.

The third pic shows the two-bolt aluminum at work holding a Zumo. The Allen bolts are almost exactly perpendicular to my line of sight so the Zumo adapter could be simply bolted flat on the aluminum with no need to adjust elevation to optimize viewing angle. The fabrication of the cut-outs in the aluminum can be avoided by turning the aluminum 180 degrees to bolt it on, but I wanted the Zumo mounted as high as possible to be sure it wouldn’t be occluded by a tank bag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mount1Bolt.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	7531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mount2Bolt.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	7532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mount2BoltWZumo.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	7533  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2008, 12:30 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
I like your Zumo mount a lot better than the one from BMW.

It looks like it will not interfer with my bigger tank bag the way the BMW mount does.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode