K1200GT Failed Final Drive at 6000 miles - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2008, 2:53 am Thread Starter
Addict

K1200GT Failed Final Drive at 6000 miles

I have had the unfortunate experience of discovering a failed differential while 900 miles from home.
Having said that I am glad that I discovered it before anything catastrophic happened as i had been enjoying some spirited riding in the previous miles.
A stop for fuel and a random kick of the back tyre while it was on the centre stand nearly floored me when I saw the back wheel move nearly an inch laterally.
A 3 hour wait for a 4 hour tow and then a flight home the night before Easter has left me less than impressed and with my bike still 600 miles away.
The BMW warranty will pay for the repairs however it will be a 3 week wait for the part from Germany. The BMW Roadside Assist program took care of the tow and will relocate the bike to me once fixed.
This bike reminds me of some of the more interesting girlfriends that i had the pleasure of knowing in my youth, the ride is just superb, always exciting and keeps me going back for more even though I know the maintainance is going to be painful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2008, 7:12 am
Enthusiast

Sorry for your down time. I had a similiar experience (with the GT and girlfriend), mine turned out to be the rear flange and wheel connection. Replaced new wheel flange and hub, that was like 8000 miles.

No problems since. Good luck and hope you get the GT back soon.

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2008, 10:29 am
Enthusiast

Sorry to hear this - must have been hard to leave her.

Did you get the final drive oil changed at the 600 mi. service?

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2008, 10:40 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by howfly
Sorry to hear this - must have been hard to leave her.
The bike or his early girlfriends?

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2008, 3:45 pm

How many miles and what year. Good thing you noticed it!

2006 K1200GT Crystal Grey
2005 Honda CRF450X Uncorked
2006 Honda CRF250X Uncorked (Sons)
IBA 22690
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2008, 8:18 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Ken, its an October 06 with 9,800 klms or about 6000 miles.
I bought it last year with 6000 klms on it. Since then the ABS modulator failed creating an electrical shutdown as the computer couldnt complete its check sequence on start up, Ive had the Air Box done, I had and still have to a lesser degree the squealing clutch on take off and now this.
Like I said, its just as well the ride is special or she would be with her 3rd boyfriend in 18 months. One more issue and she`s gone.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2008, 5:35 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadicool59
Ken, its an October 06 with 9,800 klms or about 6000 miles.
I bought it last year with 6000 klms on it. Since then the ABS modulator failed creating an electrical shutdown as the computer couldnt complete its check sequence on start up, Ive had the Air Box done, I had and still have to a lesser degree the squealing clutch on take off and now this.
Like I said, its just as well the ride is special or she would be with her 3rd boyfriend in 18 months. One more issue and she`s gone.
Your bike is very similar to mine, an Aussie October 06 bike. So far I have had the squealing clutch (very loud now after 24000km), brake pad warning light issue, high idle, even after replacing the airbox, new style seat under warranty. My ABS light stayed on once but reset after the next start.

I ride mine every day and I am a bit concerned about a computer failure such as you have had or the EWS fault that a guy in Kalgoorlie had on a brand new bike. Not good when a long way from anywhere.

Seems like the rear drive problem is rare, but not good if it strikes you. Let us know what it is when you get it fixed. At least it is still under warranty for a few more months.

The best thing about the GT, I reckon, is the suspension, which works extremely well on less than perfect Australian roads. I find the bike perfect for the daily commute in traffic as well as for trips on the open road. My 13 year old son and I just did a 370km trip to a country old time machinery show and back today and the bike was great. No movement in my final drive yet. Didn't even high idle, which is rare on any long trip I do.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 5:55 am Thread Starter
Addict

Hi Bob, Rolfes BMW in Canberra called me yesterday to say that a new diff was being airfreighted and that I should have the bike back next week. Thats three weeks off the road.
I notice that you are from the West and that is were i bought this bike. I had it freighted back to brisbane from Perth with so much anticipation but like i said I have been pretty disappointed with the reliability issues.
Im interested to hear how you got your seat replaced, when I mentioned how bad mine is to the service manager at my local dealer here he just shrugged his shoulders and said that "seats were a personal thing"
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 6:12 am
Noob

My condolences for my compatriots.
I am so glad I have a 2007, I have clocked 13,000km in 4 moths of ownership and I LOVE my GT. Have had the airbox replaced and not happy with the new found backfiring and loss of toque, all mentioned in other thread. Other than that Farking uncomfortable seat and the trip meter only goes to 999km it's just GROUSE.

PS. Doing a lap of this fair land in the upcoming months if any of you have spare bed, fridge full of beer and an unused harem drop me a line.

2007 K1200GT

1987 Harris Bonnie

Host of previous bikes, first being BSA Bantom 125 my eight birthday present, thanks Dad RIP.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 10:31 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy
My condolences for my compatriots.
I am so glad I have a 2007, I have clocked 13,000km in 4 moths of ownership and I LOVE my GT. Have had the airbox replaced and not happy with the new found backfiring and loss of toque, all mentioned in other thread. Other than that Farking uncomfortable seat and the trip meter only goes to 999km it's just GROUSE.

PS. Doing a lap of this fair land in the upcoming months if any of you have spare bed, fridge full of beer and an unused harem drop me a line.
Do you know which version of software? My 07 with new airbox and CD10 didn't lose any torque and doesn't backfire, much.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode