Documenting owner performed 24K service? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2008, 2:47 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boulder, CO, USA
Posts: 376
Documenting owner performed 24K service?

If I do my own 24K maintenance, can this cause a problem w/ potential future warranty claims? Both w/ BMWNA or an extended warranty. Do I have to document what I've done? If so, what would satisfy this requirement?
DavidS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2008, 4:42 pm
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Arnold, CA, USA
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS
If I do my own 24K maintenance, can this cause a problem w/ potential future warranty claims? Both w/ BMWNA or an extended warranty. Do I have to document what I've done? If so, what would satisfy this requirement?
I did a lot of the services on my K12LT, and my dealer told me to document everything. Details about what you did should be included, for example write down the valve clearances if you check. Save all parts receipts.

My dealer said that they would honor any warranty claim as long as they determined that lack of service didn't contribute to the failure. That really means can you show that you didn't completely neglect the bike. A receipt for oil and filter is enough evidence that you changed the oil.

The other issue would be you need keep yourself abreast of service bulletins, for example the need to change final drive oil at 600 miles so it doesn't self destruct. I'm guessing that in this case they would honor the warranty anyway, but it might get sticky if the bike never saw a dealership after the sale.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
howfly is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2008, 6:16 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boulder, CO, USA
Posts: 376
Thanks Howfly. I will document what I do.

It is just that they want $315. for the 24K, and it is just an oil change, hook up the GT1, and 'check' various fluids, pads, lights, stands, etc. Seems high to me for a once over and an oil change.
DavidS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2008, 3:00 pm
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Arnold, CA, USA
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS
Thanks Howfly. I will document what I do.

It is just that they want $315. for the 24K, and it is just an oil change, hook up the GT1, and 'check' various fluids, pads, lights, stands, etc. Seems high to me for a once over and an oil change.
Did you buy the GS-911? You can read and reset all the computers with it, and future software will allow you to read analog engine sensors, as well.

Take your time with the services. I'm thinking of doing mine as well, though the valve clearance check at 18k looks a little daunting, with the radiator removal and all.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
howfly is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2008, 3:22 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boulder, CO, USA
Posts: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by howfly
Did you buy the GS-911? You can read and reset all the computers with it, and future software will allow you to read analog engine sensors, as well.

Take your time with the services. I'm thinking of doing mine as well, though the valve clearance check at 18k looks a little daunting, with the radiator removal and all.
Need a special tool to repressureize the coolant system. Grifscoots posted a link for the tool somewhere. I will not be doing my own valves. If the engine blows, I do not want any warranty hassles. The minor service stuff looks like a rip off IMHO.
DavidS is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Arnold, CA, USA
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS
The minor service stuff looks like a rip off IMHO.
300 smackers for an oil change does seem stiff. My dealer only wants 160. They must also be hooking up a computer, taking a test ride, etc.

With a brand new design, like the GT, I want the dealer to look up service bulletins now and then, although some dealers do a good job with that and some don't. If I don't give my money to the service department now and then, I can't ask for service bulletins, which are not public.

I figure it's a 2 way street, and it's gotta cost something now and then. Making a good relationsihp with a good dealer takes a lot of time and effort, but is definitely worth it.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
howfly is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2008, 4:08 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boulder, CO, USA
Posts: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by howfly
300 smackers for an oil change does seem stiff. My dealer only wants 160. They must also be hooking up a computer, taking a test ride, etc.

With a brand new design, like the GT, I want the dealer to look up service bulletins now and then, although some dealers do a good job with that and some don't. If I don't give my money to the service department now and then, I can't ask for service bulletins, which are not public.

I figure it's a 2 way street, and it's gotta cost something now and then. Making a good relationsihp with a good dealer takes a lot of time and effort, but is definitely worth it.

Yep, we have to support them on some level or they will all disappear. I am good personal friends with the service manager where I bought it, but that said, his hands are tied and they charged me over $1K for the 18K miles service. I'll be doing what I can myself from now on, and only go in for the 'biggies' that require stripping the bike down and doing the valves.
DavidS is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2008, 11:37 pm
IBR# 366
 
Meese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oxnard, CA, USA
Posts: 3,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS
The minor service stuff looks like a rip off IMHO.
It's still about half of what we were paying for LT services.

I just had the dealer do the 36K along with some other warranty work. It's out of warranty now, so I'll be doing all the services myself from now on. I'll let y'all know when I get to the valve check.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Meese is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Performing your own scheduled service maintenance pier1 K1200RS/GT (Classic) 17 May 8th, 2008 4:31 pm
Service & Maintenance Schedules chuckheinch Bike Talk 0 Jan 30th, 2008 6:04 am
If anyone cares, CIP 10.0 is out eljeffe K12/1300R/R-Sport 5 Sep 10th, 2007 9:12 am
If anyone cares, CIP 10.0 is out eljeffe K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 1 Sep 4th, 2007 7:02 am
Need Advice: Vibration after 12K Service Michael_Perry K1200RS/GT (Classic) 8 Feb 10th, 2006 3:23 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome