Picked Up My New '08 GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2008, 7:54 pm Thread Starter

Picked Up My New '08 GT

Picked up my new baby today and could not be happier. Hardest thing was keeping it below 4000rpm (per break-in instructions). Love everything about the bike...except the seat. Kept sliding forward at stops. Other than that, I'm happy.

Bought a Zumo 550, and had the dealer install and mount it. Also got the Centech AP-1, for future add-ons. I have Sargent seats on their way, and a Cee Bailey windshield. I think I'll be pretty much set once all the items are on the bike. Also got the 49L topcase.

Traded in my HD Ultra Classic, and it feels great to be able to shed the extra weight.

And, the handling, wow, simply amazing. You just have to think where you want to go, and the bike takes you there.

Tomorrow, will continue break-in, going to try for 200 mile day.

Any hints/tips/cautions from you existing owners, farkles, etc., is always appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2008, 8:14 pm
Veteran

Welcome. Enjoy the new ride. Once you put on a few miles you'll never look back you your HD days.

Change the final drive oil at 600 miles, get it serviced, and take a road trip!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2008, 8:38 pm
Strafist

Hey, you found you way over here all by yourself!

Be sure to check out the Hall of Wisdom and let me know if you have anything to put in there.

You're gonna love this bike and wonder why you didn't get rid of the LT sooner. I know I do.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2008, 8:10 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Welcome. Enjoy the new ride. Once you put on a few miles you'll never look back you your HD days.

Change the final drive oil at 600 miles, get it serviced, and take a road trip!
Thanks. I'll be sure to mention the final drive oil at the 600 mile service. I don't know if that's usually included, but I will have it done. Thanks for the tip.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2008, 8:11 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Hey, you found you way over here all by yourself!

Be sure to check out the Hall of Wisdom and let me know if you have anything to put in there.

You're gonna love this bike and wonder why you didn't get rid of the LT sooner. I know I do.
Thanks, you folks only took one or two clicks to fine.

Question - On the way home from the dealer, I rode on all back country rodes shifting through all the gears until my left hand was sore. Gave it a brief rest, then started again. I plan on doing the same today. Accelerating, then de-acclerating, putting a load on the engine, etc.

I don't baby the bike during break-in, and am basically following these guidelines - Break In New Bike

I'd love to hear what how others have ridden during the first 600 miles.

Thanks.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2008, 8:14 am
Strafist

I'm not gonna get into breaking in bike procedures- too much like an oil thread!

But, I will tell you that your body will sore till you get used to the GT. Much more physical bike than the LT ever was.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2008, 8:18 am
Enthusiast

Congratulations! Pictures (speak a thousand words and all) are always appreciated.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2008, 11:30 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefeb
Thanks. I'll be sure to mention the final drive oil at the 600 mile service. I don't know if that's usually included, but I will have it done. Thanks for the tip.
I believe that there was a service bulletin issued to the dealers to have it done at the 600 mile. Even if they don't know about it most agree now that at a minimum it goes along way toward no final drive issues.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2008, 12:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefeb
Hardest thing was keeping it below 4000rpm (per break-in instructions).
Humm, interesting. My dealer (San Jose BMW, SF Bay Area) said that there is no break-in period on a K-bike. He said every engine come pre-run on a dyno and you should just ride. Any comments?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2008, 12:25 pm
BCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdane
Humm, interesting. My dealer (San Jose BMW, SF Bay Area) said that there is no break-in period on a K-bike. He said every engine come pre-run on a dyno and you should just ride. Any comments?
The manual on my '08 says keep it under 7,000 rpm until the first scheduled service. That's about 100 mph in 6th.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode