Sargent World Sport Seats? Who's got one and.... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2008, 7:49 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Sargent World Sport Seats? Who's got one and....

How do you like it. Really? In comparison to the newest version of the GT seat. Be honest, if you had to do it over is it really worth $800 plus? I've read through everything that I can find and still have mixed feelings on taking the plunge on one. I looked at all, Russells, Mayer, etc....can't get by the wings and the 3 month wait time, but the Sargents seem pretty good. More towards one up and a more aggressive riding style.

But when I look at side by side pictures of my saddle and the Sargent they don't look all that different as far as shape and foam thickness. They sure are purdy though! So please tell, is your butt better for it? Do you really notice a difference after 400 or more miles in comparison to the original seat?

There's still part of me that thinks even a Lazy Boy is uncomfortable after 12 hours and 500 miles. However after market saddles seem to be selling like hotcakes so maybe they're on to something.

Thanks

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2008, 4:48 pm

I'm wondering too...

I made the plunge on both my LT and RT. Both Corbin. Now, I didn't really care for the Corbin on the LT and ended up taking it off and going back to stock. With my RT I went with Corbin and loved it. However, I got it at Myrtle Beach bike week off the truck and had a chance to TRY it before I bought. Now, I'm just waiting for MB bike week in May for the big blue truck to return so I can TRY the Corbin on the GT. We'll see what happens.

Bill
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2008, 5:07 pm
Addict

So I have not been on the bike a lot lately except for a few 1 hour rides to work and back. I installed the seat a few months ago. I had the original BMW seat, the one most seem to hate. I'm 6' 4" and about 260 now.

Observations:

Sits flatter so I don't slide into the tank, I think this reduces wrist stress, which was a problem for me. +

Seems slippery, which seems odd to me. -

I don't think the heater works as good as the BMW stock heater. -
The connector for the heater was a bit hokey and I was tired. -

I only got the front seat and the rear cover (have not installed it yet) but the old stock rear seat now that it sits higher has a bigger lip between front and back which kind of makes a nice little back support. +

Long distance comfort, TBD.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2008, 6:21 pm

Wink Maxi Pads with Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
How do you like it. Really? In comparison to the newest version of the GT seat. Be honest, if you had to do it over is it really worth $800 plus?
But when I look at side by side pictures of my saddle and the Sargent they don't look all that different as far as shape and foam thickness.
They sure are purdy though!
So please tell, is your butt better for it? Do you really notice a difference after 400 or more miles in comparison to the original seat?
Thanks
Robert,
I think it is uglier than stock but not as ugly as the rest of the seats out there; wings as you put it.

I installed a Sargent seat for a different reason. MORE LEG ROOM. That's right! The stock seat was comfortable enough for 13 hour days but my knees would cramp. The Sargent does not compress as much and gives me an extra inch of leg room for my 6'3" 36 inch inseamed body. Doesn't sound like much but it makes a big difference. I also use a Sargent on my 93 K1100RS.

I have not tried the v.2 BMW seat. No help to you there.

I have the Sargent rear cover but have not installed it yet. I will wait for a 100 degree day!

The seat heater works OK for me. I do not use the cheap Radio Shack connectors.

Good company to deal with!!!

Hope this helps.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2008, 7:58 pm

Sargent Saddle

After trying to keep the stock seat, a ride from Ft. Lauderdale to my home in NC proved to be painful . . . no kidding. I was hurting before I got into SC. I ordered my new saddle from Sargent as I had tried a Corbin during Daytona Bike Week. I've had several Corbins on other machines and like them but my wife doesn't.

My first trip with the Sargent saddle was from NC to CA on a month long trip. About half way across Texas, the new saddle "broke in" and we've been friends since then. I now have over 34,000 on the saddle. I just got back from another west coast ride, doing well over 8,000 miles in 29 days. There were several 600-700 mile days and the saddle performed well. It's a keeper.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elephant Mtn, Big Bend 003.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	7556  
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2008, 11:28 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Great info gentlemen, thanks!

Norris and Hazard you mentioned cheap radio shack / hokey connectors? Looks like on their web site that they supply a different size / version that I would need to cut and crimp onto the existing wire. No problem really. Are you saying they don't work well? Did you use a different solution?

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:44 am
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Norris and Hazard you mentioned cheap radio shack / hokey connectors? Looks like on their web site that they supply a different size / version that I would need to cut and crimp onto the existing wire. No problem really. Are you saying they don't work well? Did you use a different solution?
Check post #9 in this thread for the BMW part # for a connector cable that mates to the factory seat plug.

Or you could try and find one on eBay.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 6:33 am

Sargents uses the Molex type connectors and I've used them on other motorcycles. They work fine. I did, however, cut the BMW connector off of the stock seat and, with a little flux and solder, I was in business in no time.

Mike
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 7:41 am

Robert_W, if you're interested I have the Sargent world sport seat for the front, bought it before they had released the rear seat. It didn't work for me and I am planning on selling it. If you are interested in it let me know. It is heated but I never changed out the plug to hook it up. I am thinking $250 plus shipping.

Steve
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:11 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Check post #9 in this thread for the BMW part # for a connector cable that mates to the factory seat plug.

Or you could try and find one on eBay.
Oh you're on a roll today huh!? Thanks though....I think.

But here's a great case for your proprietary rights run a muck. (Not that I don't believe in them it's that some times it's just plain stupid.) I mean come on.....it's 2 pieces of plastic pigtails that apparently Tyco made. Then they license their use to BMW, but no body else? PPPPAAALLLEEEAAASSSEEE. WTF. It's two pieces of plastic! And because one company trade marks, or patents something as inane and daft as an angle 2 degrees different on a pigtail adapter.......it's got to be a better idea than if they hadn't.....then it trickles right down the line to either make it a pain in the ass for some one to work around it, or very expensive to buy. $20 for an adapter that contains 20 cents worth of parts? No wonder guys were going to radio shack!

Believe it or not I found the seats.....not heated.....for about $200 less than Sargents site:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-S...spagenameZWD1V

Which just goes to show you that there's the normal 40-50% mark up cause that guy isn't going to give away $$$.

If I buy one I'll probably ride it for a bit and if I like it I'll solder the old connector onto the new seat. I looked at a PDF I found on the Sargent site and it seems pretty straight forward. It's just two wires and no matter what if I want heated with these seats something has to get cut.

sep999.....appreciate the offer but I think there were some changes made back when they had the single seats only, to accommodate for BMW's change on models after Dec 06 production. Which mine is. Besides, if I don't like it I want the option to send it back to them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode