GT2 pannier liners - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 1:23 pm Thread Starter
Addict-oholic

GT2 pannier liners

I ordered a BMW liner bag that "fits" the RT and the GT from A & S. I don't think it is a good fit. The bag is very well made with lots of pockets, zippers, carrying handle and strap. When I emptied my pannier, I found that I have to shove really hard on this liner bag to get the pannier closed. I am not very happy.

Is there anyone out there that makes liner bags specifically for the GT.? I like the look of Kathy's bags made for the RT. They supposedly also fit the GT. Anybody have a set of any brand that fits well??

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 2:06 pm
Strafist

I use the Kathy liners and am happy with them.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 2:06 pm
IBR# 366

I have used Kathy's bags with my LT and was very happy with them.

I ordered my saddlebag liners from Cee Bailey's. They're well made and a decent price, plus I liked that they come in grey and not just black. Like any soft-sided bag you can overstuff them and have trouble closing the lids, but that's more operator error than anything else.

BTW, the GT and RT use the exact same saddlebags, with the only difference being paint colors. So anything made for the RT bags will fit the GT as well.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 2:59 pm
Enthusiast

+1 on CeeBaileys liners. I had a set for my RT and ordered a set for the GT when I got it. About $15 - $20 less than Kathy's if I remember correctly. I like the reflective piping for safety at night and the zippers on each side so there's really no front or back. The shoulder straps are a good idea but I never use them because they take up space.

2006 GT
2002 RT sold
1985 Maxim X sold
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 3:01 pm
Veteran

My vote goes to BMW's own liners. They are extremely well made. Far superior to Kathy's product (have a set for an RT). Expensive but worth it.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 3:24 pm
Veteran

I've got all three of the BMW liners. Fit is fine once I took out the cardboard stiffener and discovered they only go in one way. The shoulder strap I leave in the bag until I really need it.

BUT...

They are "very well made" with the rubber bottom that keeps them clean and helps keep them open while stuffing. I've got some Helen-Two-Wheels are they cannot compare (hers are more flimsy) in quality.

With regards to closing, I've often stuffed so much crap like liners and clothing into those side bags I need to sit on them in the motel room to get them closed. Since getting the liners, it's much nicer to leave the carriers on the bike and just carry the bags into the motel. More so, if you don't want to scratch the cases on doors and walls.

Best bet is to learn how to pack. Get a few of those "Eagle Creek Pack-It" folders and cubes (i.e. compressor bags). They'll help to keep the BMW liner from bulging making it difficult to close. Plus, they help keep clothing organized and wrinkle free. They're cheap too.

Mack
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 7:41 pm

Thumbs up +1 on BMW bags

I've had the OEM BMW bags for both an RT and GT for both panners and top case. The only time I use the (49L) topcase liner is when travelling. It's just good open space otherwise. I leave them in the panniers unless there's something special I don't want to leave out in the temps. I've found you have to zip the zippers up at least up around the corners on top to avoid catching the zipper pull itself in the lid edge. They're stiff and make it easy to just throw stuff in and be able to rummage around to find something on the bottom. You can keep the carrying straps/handles tucked in the top and the shoulder strap inside, they'll be out of the way, unless you have the bags fully packed for a trip or something.

They'll loosen up a bit after time.

Oh, and as GMack said, "they only go in one way". The "BMW Motorrad" logo towards the front.

Bill

Last edited by 07K12GT-Pilot; Apr 3rd, 2008 at 7:46 pm. Reason: add text
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 8:14 pm
Veteran

Another +1 on the BMW bags.

They are a perfect fit for the side cases (no wasted space), but if you overstuff them, the side cases won't close. All materials are top quality. The people above are right, you have to orient them correctly, but that's because the side cases aren't symmetrical.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2008, 5:44 am

What Do You Think Of This

Reading the the post Icame up with this solution,Get 2 long staps with buckel, squeez the bag back to size and buckle tite, or have the straps sewn so you never loose then.or maybe some long velcro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode