Crazy throttle & TPM - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2008, 4:20 pm Thread Starter

Crazy throttle & TPM

Greetings,

2 days ago I got me an 07 KGT and boy does the bike ROCK! I have 2 questions.

1) The throttle is crazy. From what I read in the forum, I noticed that 06 KGTs have an old software that did a bad job controlling the throttle, is it possible my GT is suffering from an old software hence the throttle is crazy? All I can say I can't manage the throttle and I am not new to riding bikes! the bike I had before this one is K1200RS. The throttle is crazy in the sense a slight twist makes the bike jump which is scary if you ask me.

2) My bike doesn't have TPM and I wonder if I can order it from BMW and have it retrofitted in my bike? I have on board computer on my bike.

Many thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2008, 5:51 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bususu
Greetings,

2 days ago I got me an 07 KGT and boy does the bike ROCK! I have 2 questions.

1) The throttle is crazy. From what I read in the forum, I noticed that 06 KGTs have an old software that did a bad job controlling the throttle, is it possible my GT is suffering from an old software hence the throttle is crazy? All I can say I can't manage the throttle and I am not new to riding bikes! the bike I had before this one is K1200RS. The throttle is crazy in the sense a slight twist makes the bike jump which is scary if you ask me.

2) My bike doesn't have TPM and I wonder if I can order it from BMW and have it retrofitted in my bike? I have on board computer on my bike.

Many thanks guys.
The crazy throttle is cause for BMW to install new airboxes and software. That is purdy much the cure.

I don't believe TPM or ASC can be retrofitted without insane costs.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2008, 5:55 pm
Addict-oholic

There are many threads here and in all the BMW forums about these problems( we call them Bucking Bronco Syndrome and High Idle, BBS & HI). There IS a solution to both problems, and does occur in 2006,2007 & early 2008 GT's. The airbox AND software must be updated, and it is all being done under warranty.
Go to your local BMW dealer and describe the symptoms and solution. There is a technical bulletin to this effect from BMW.
Do it NOW and your bike will be tamed a bit!!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2008, 11:28 pm
Veteran

So far, I have had only the software upgrade, and it solved the "crazy throttle" problem. The throttle is far less touchy, and engine braking is less drastic. This one change made a very big difference for me.

Nonetheless, I will be getting the airbox replaced in a couple weeks or so, along with a fix for the broken brake pad wear indicator wire and a normal 6,000 mile service.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2008, 7:50 am
TJD
Rookie

TPM Question

I just called my local dealer this week to see if I could get TPM fitted to my 2007. The guy told me the cost was around $2k and it really wasn't worth it. Too bad - it would be cool to have it. Figure I could buy a solid gold tire gauge for that kind of money... always wanted one of those

TJD
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2008, 10:07 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
There are many threads here and in all the BMW forums about these problems( we call them Bucking Bronco Syndrome and High Idle, BBS & HI). There IS a solution to both problems, and does occur in 2006,2007 & early 2008 GT's. The airbox AND software must be updated, and it is all being done under warranty.
Go to your local BMW dealer and describe the symptoms and solution. There is a technical bulletin to this effect from BMW.
Do it NOW and your bike will be tamed a bit!!
Thanks Lary,

Would it be too much to ask for the URL (if any) on the technical bulletin from BMW?

Many thanks.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2008, 10:36 am
Addict-oholic

technical Bulletin

Quote:
Thanks Lary,

Would it be too much to ask for the URL (if any) on the technical bulletin from BMW?

Many thanks.
Here it is!

http://www.i-bmw.com/attachment.php?...4&d=1197590686

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2008, 11:51 am

Quote:
Thanks Lary,

Many thanks.
Here's the pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf K1200GT Airbox Bulletin.pdf (171.6 KB, 41 views)

07 K1200GT

You can't have everything! Where would you put it?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2008, 4:24 am

My dealer absolutely assured me that my '07 has the new airbox and software. How can I tell for sure? This is the most sensitive throttle that I've ever had to manage. Appreciate the help!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2008, 7:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdane
My dealer absolutely assured me that my '07 has the new airbox and software. How can I tell for sure? This is the most sensitive throttle that I've ever had to manage. Appreciate the help!
Somebody smarter than me should confirm but, I'd say only the dealer can verify SW version by hooking your bike up to their computer. As for the box, you'd have to get at the air box and look for the part number listed in the bulletin: 13 71 7 705 470

07 K1200GT

You can't have everything! Where would you put it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode