OK, the new box / software and my take so far. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2008, 8:10 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

OK, the new box / software and my take so far.

Well it was a cold and wet 130 miles home but none the worse for wear. I'm going to get out of MT for a couple of weeks or so in a few days and head to hot weather and put on a few thousand miles. That will be the real test. But for the time being here's what I think.

Rode the bike through stop and go and open highway. 0 to 120mph and everything in between. Stop and go and throttle response is definitely improved. How much....eh....maybe 30% or so. It's definitely NOT as touchy though still more sensitive than my old RT ......but improved. Riding in city traffic light to light was easier, though not perfect. However I attribute a lot of that to the sheer power of the bike in the first place. I'm not so sure I'd want to tame it down any more.

Absolutely no BBS at all. Put the bike through the paces like doing 30 mph in all gears. No problem. The roll on power across the board seems to be much smoother. No hesitation at all. No more or less power than before just smooth across the power band. Also the touchy throttle at speed is improved. IE .......if I bump my throttle rocker ever so slightly as in the past while cruising.....it doesn't send me from 70 to 80mph in a heartbeat.

I guess High Idle will have to wait and see until I spend some time at speed and in the heat. That was my biggest gripe. Jumping to 4000 rpm at a light with a car in front of you is very sphincter puckering! However, I never had the problem in the colder weather. Only after time in the heat.

So all in all a welcome change. Night and day different? No. So far I'm happy with the throttle response and power band. But if the High Idle never rears its ugly head again I'll be a very happy camper. Time will tell. And so will I.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2008, 8:18 pm
Enthusiast

Good report Robert. You might notice a slight hesitation when engine braking to a turn with throttle closed then beginning to add some throttle to help stand the bike up out of the turn. It is like a 1/4 second pause is the best I can describe, no biggie.

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2008, 8:31 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Yeah you know, I should have mentioned engine braking because I thought about it several times on the way home. Purposely trying to make it misbehave. If anything I'd have to say that it's some what more reserved. Just about as smooth on the power band coming down as it was accelerating. Before it would kind of grab real good now it transitions smoother. Seems fine though. No complaints in this department.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2008, 9:12 am

I had mine done on Thursday along with changing the final drive oil again with AMSOIL. To tell you the truth the changes to the bike are subtle to me although it does seem to shift better. I have close to 10k miles now and rode yesterday about 200 miles.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2008, 12:11 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanson
You might notice a slight hesitation when engine braking to a turn with throttle closed then beginning to add some throttle to help stand the bike up out of the turn. It is like a 1/4 second pause is the best I can describe, no biggie.
Biggie for me. This sounds like the 3,000rpm flat spot, which bugged me. I lived with it for the first 8K miles because the bike was such a great machine otherwise. The fix was the new airbox and software.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2008, 8:57 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
Biggie for me. This sounds like the 3,000rpm flat spot, which bugged me. I lived with it for the first 8K miles because the bike was such a great machine otherwise. The fix was the new airbox and software.
I still have the 3,000 rpm flat spot with a recent software only upgrade (v10). I'll let you know if replacing the airbox fixes it. I expect to have it done in a couple weeks or so.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2008, 9:54 pm

I had my airbox changed, updated to v10 software and added ASC over the winter. Yesterday was the first time schedule and weather cooperated in upstate New York to get out and ride the bike with the changes.

My experience was very much like Robert's. In normal acceleration, deceleration and throttle transitions, the bike is much more smooth. Jerkiness is almost all gone and the bike is much easier to ride without thinking about throttle control.

One trigger for BBS on my bike was cruise control. The use of cruise control would almost guarantee BBS would occur after the cruise was turned off. On my 120 mile round trip I used cruise liberally and no signs of BBS. Keep in mind that some believe heat can cause BBS and temperatures did not get above 50 degrees F on my ride, but temperature did not seem to have an impact on BBS on my bike, it was just cruise control useage and thankfully BBS did not occur with cruise control use yesterday.

'12 K1600GTL
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2008, 9:59 am
Noob

I just got my Gt back from having the new airbox and the software upgrade......So far I think it is a huge difference......the bike seems to have more ummph in the lower RMP's and the jerky throtle is gone. Hopefully the high idle is history, but will have to wait until warmer temps to know for sure. I also installed a Two Brothers pipe. Seems to work good...sounds a lot better....I have noticed that it backfires some.....anyone else notice this??
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2008, 2:58 am
I'm riding

Picked up my bike from the dealership yesterday. Had among other jobs the new airbox installed with new software 11.1(they assured me that was real 11.1 ).
Yes, it's different - I was able to maintain 2000 rpm in 1st and 2nd gear when filtering and the bike was solid and consistent. No jerks, no BBS, no jumps, nada. But the reverse side was hesitation to start at 100mph/160kmh at the 6th gear - it requested "confirmation" after I opned the throttle.
The rest were - new shock absorber(warranty), new brake fluid and oil.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2008, 8:39 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybmw
I just got my Gt back from having the new airbox and the software upgrade......So far I think it is a huge difference......the bike seems to have more ummph in the lower RMP's and the jerky throtle is gone. Hopefully the high idle is history, but will have to wait until warmer temps to know for sure. I also installed a Two Brothers pipe. Seems to work good...sounds a lot better....I have noticed that it backfires some.....anyone else notice this??
The poping (more like puff puffing) is a ver 10 thing according to my mechanic. I noticed it when first going to version 10, but don't notice it anymore, but I have a stock muffler.

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode