Front Wheel Removal - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2008, 6:39 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Front Wheel Removal

Greetings fellow GT heads. I hit a pothole a few days ago on the 405 going about 75. It was a slot shaped hole and my wheel went right into it. It was pretty dramatic and my hands hurt afterward. But the bike seemed OK so I kept going. Now, I thought I looked things over when I got to where I was going. But it's a bit foggy. It was early. It maybe it's old age. But I obviously didn't see anything. So yesterday, my wife and I ride out to the Rock Store and three guys come up to check out my bike. Within seconds one of them says, "Wow, you've got a bent rim!" "I do?!" I said. Sure enough, I did. Pics to follow.

A call to the BMW dealer spelled almost $900 for a nice new wheel - mounted and all. The guys admiring my newly customized rim mentioned places who fix them. I've found a few online. They are: MC Wheel, The Wheel Warehouse, Metro Wheels, The Frame Man and Frame Straight Systems. If anyone has any suggestions of other places or has any comments on these, let me know. I'd appreciate it.

Also, I've read the manual on removing the front wheel. It's not real descriptive on the actual tools you need. The torx screws for the brakes and the axle release make sense. But what kind of tool do you need to remove the quick release axle? It looks like I need an allen wrench the size of my thumb. And, are there torque wrenches available with such attachments (and the torx) for putting this stuff back on at the right tension?

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0021.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	7578   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0022.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	7579  

Jeff

'07 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2008, 7:29 pm
Veteran

Dude, how is it you didn't notice it?

Any how, if it were me......there is no doubt in my mind .......no way would I ride it and I'd be getting a NEW rim. No way I'd get it fixed either and ever feel confident. Way too big of a safety concern in my mind.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2008, 8:38 pm
Addict

Jeff, I believe that the quick release is a 22mm, however, if you don't want to spend 30 bucks for a 22mm to fit it, most spark plug sockets mounted backwards will fit perfectly. Here is a link to the spark plug socket.http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost...79&postcount=1 Also a lug-nut from a truck (as in 18 wheel type) will also fit and you can buy those at any auto store for under 5 bucks. I took a truck lug-nut, screwed a piece of all-thread into it and then screwed a nut on the other end, welded both nuts to the all-thread and walla, a custom wheel removal tool. If you don't want to do any welding, most truck lug-nuts are plenty long to go into the axle recess and still give to enough to put a wrench on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2008, 9:53 pm

Jeff,
Keep an eye on ebay. I have seen several there and you can expect to pay 175-250 for a rim in great shape. Your rim does not look to bad, I would feel okay with having it repaired if done by a pro. Its just metal.... But it will cost you almost as much as you could buy one on ebay. You also might check with your local dealerships. My shop had a front and rear takeoff with tires that had less than 1K on them and I paid 550 for the set.

Brian Ley
2007 GT
2010 650GS
2000 LT sold but not forgotten
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2008, 3:11 am
IBR# 366

Some spark plug sockets work if you put them in backwards. You can also find pipe couplers with a 7/8" outside diameter that slip right into the 22 mm hole and are long enough to put a wrench or socket on. I may even still have a couple of those hanging out in the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
JMy shop had a front and rear takeoff with tires that had less than 1K on them and I paid 550 for the set.
Man, I'd love to find a deal like that. I have so many half-used tires where it would be so much easier to just swap rims around.

Of course, a set of those black rims off the K12R would also look great on my graphite GT.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2008, 10:00 am

I had the same experience with my front wheel. I was going to order a new wheel but after a long conversation about safety the dealer suggested I try The Frame man. He fixed it perfectly with the exception of the paint. .02
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2008, 11:44 am

If you're the kind of guy who likes to have the right tool rather than making one from old pieces lying around in your garage, there are at least two sources for the 22mm hex socket. Motion Pro: Hex Axle Wrench (Part #08-0397). Snap-on: Socket, Motorcycle, 1/2 " drive, 22 mm external hex (Stock # HXD22). They're both a little pricey.....will run $25 to $30.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2008, 1:43 am
Veteran

i bought a universal(not completely) external hex socket. it is a pretty handy tool. it has 18mm, 19mm, 21mm, and 22mm, i think. i know it has the 22mm. it works great and is about the same price. i started changing my own tires and others have used my equipment. the socket is good for a few other bikes also, just in case you have more than one in the stable. it cost around 20 bucks.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2009, 5:46 pm

I sent a bent rim to frame straight. They have had it for 6 weeks. Just got an email saying it's ready and will be shipped out. Hope it's good. They charged me 220.
Anyone know where I can find touch up paint for the rim?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2009, 7:39 pm
2 heads are better than 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixdude
Greetings fellow GT heads. I hit a pothole a few days ago on the 405 going about 75. It was a slot shaped hole and my wheel went right into it. It was pretty dramatic and my hands hurt afterward. But the bike seemed OK so I kept going. Now, I thought I looked things over when I got to where I was going. But it's a bit foggy. It was early. It maybe it's old age. But I obviously didn't see anything. So yesterday, my wife and I ride out to the Rock Store and three guys come up to check out my bike. Within seconds one of them says, "Wow, you've got a bent rim!" "I do?!" I said. Sure enough, I did. Pics to follow.

A call to the BMW dealer spelled almost $900 for a nice new wheel - mounted and all. The guys admiring my newly customized rim mentioned places who fix them. I've found a few online. They are: MC Wheel, The Wheel Warehouse, Metro Wheels, The Frame Man and Frame Straight Systems. If anyone has any suggestions of other places or has any comments on these, let me know. I'd appreciate it.

Also, I've read the manual on removing the front wheel. It's not real descriptive on the actual tools you need. The torx screws for the brakes and the axle release make sense. But what kind of tool do you need to remove the quick release axle? It looks like I need an allen wrench the size of my thumb. And, are there torque wrenches available with such attachments (and the torx) for putting this stuff back on at the right tension?

Thanks in advance

The cheap way to get the axle out is to get a Craftsman 13/16 spark plug socket, about $5 at Sears. The "nut" end of it (opposite end from where the spark plug would go) is a perfect fit for the axle. Remove the rubber plug from inside the socket well, insert a 3 inch 3/8 drive extension inside the socket well, attach your socket to the extension, and, well, you should be able to figure it out from there.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode