Aux lighting - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2008, 8:04 pm Thread Starter

Aux lighting

I am looking for a good set up for aux lighting on my 07 GT. I have been searching around for awhile now and have not found anything that I had to get. I am looking for mounts and lights that I could use all the time in traffic and out in the country. I am thinking aux Hid's will be too bright. I am running out of time for an upcoming long trip and would like to have the lights before I go. Any mounts I could use with my Hella micro's would be a plus. But I am ready to buy new lights if necessary. I appreciate any ideas.

Brian Ley
2007 GT
2010 650GS
2000 LT sold but not forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2008, 8:18 pm
IBR# 366

Hey Brian, you might wanna ping Ernie. He's got a set of HIDs that he says he can use full time. I think he wanted more serious driving lights so he's probably gonna pass those along.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2008, 9:27 pm
Veteran

I have run Piaa's on bikes for years but they are probably too bright for full time use.

1100X

I have them mounted down by the brake calipers. I found that I like them better lower as they light the road up just a bit more at night down that low. I also have them wired directly to my high beam switch as it really got to be a pain to hit two switches every time I wanted high beams. They are quite bright.

Don't have a direct on shot but you can see where they are here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike_sawtooths.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	7583  

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2008, 10:42 pm
Enthusiast

I'm having Motolights mounted on the brake calipers. I don't do much night riding but frankly, I am looking to be more conspicuous to other drivers. I feel sure that the PIAA's I added to my GS do just that, so I am making the investment of additional lighting on the GT.

I will add pics once the install is done.

Mike M
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2008, 12:24 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I am also looking to be more conspicuous. As important I want better lighting down the road to try and make my night time sight distance a little better.(Which means faster speed safer) And also means mounting higher than the brake calipers. The big question I have is which brackets? If I can not find a better idea I may go with those under mirror mounts from Denver Bmw?

Brian Ley
2007 GT
2010 650GS
2000 LT sold but not forgotten
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2008, 9:52 am
Veteran

I got just as much distance out of mounting them on the calipers, actually just above them, as I did anywhere else, they just light up the immediate area in front of the bike better, first 10 feet or so, down low. Also helps at slow speed in parking lots and follows the turns better. I find they cast enough light to give me a safe 70 or so mph. All the faster I ever need to go at night.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2008, 10:46 am
JCW
contributor

I have a pair of Hella FF75's I was planning on using but changed my mind.

New in box. You'll need to fab your own mounting hardware to the bike though...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2008, 3:25 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I am also looking to be more conspicuous. As important I want better lighting down the road to try and make my night time sight distance a little better.(Which means faster speed safer) And also means mounting higher than the brake calipers. The big question I have is which brackets? If I can not find a better idea I may go with those under mirror mounts from Denver Bmw?
PIAA 1400s for conspicuity. I use the ion color. Since these are fog lights, you can run them all the time. I have the HID low beam, and fill above the light block with the 1400s.

Mounts from denverbmw, headlight level, under the mirrors.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode