Oil change question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2008, 10:46 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Oil change question

If you use a pump to drain the oil, which hole in the tank do you pump from? Any access tricks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2008, 10:55 am
Addict

A little more searching on the forum and you would read all about detailed oil changes....

On the right side is the sight tube for the oil tank. This can be disconnected at the top and rotated down to drain into a container. Use a foam ear plug or the like to pug it while you do this to prevent spillage. This way will take quite a long time but it is doable.

Other methods would include using a oil pump to extract the oil through the top cap.

Your choice.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2008, 6:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS
If you use a pump to drain the oil, which hole in the tank do you pump from? Any access tricks?
Hi David,
Someone on this site got me hooked on THIS and I love it. Forget about that messy straw technique -- even with the ear foam fix,
The evacuator comes with three "straws" and he largest diameter one fits in the straw hole like a glove. Pinch the straw retainer and pull it out of the way. Snake the evacuator tube down that hole on the tank(see pic). Much faster and gets more of the oil out because you can get down below the flexy straw drain pivot point.
I now use this thing for my cars as well!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp tank.bmp (821.3 KB, 98 views)

07 K1200GT

You can't have everything! Where would you put it?

Last edited by Uzirider; Apr 8th, 2008 at 6:33 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2008, 6:45 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I went and got a hand pump siphon at Checker and the hose will fit right in either hole. I'll give it a shot when I get the filters. The straw technique does indeed look too messy, not to mention the flimsy straw doesn't look like it will hold up to too many oil changes before it bites the dust.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2008, 9:38 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzirider
Hi David,
Someone on this site got me hooked on THIS and I love it. Forget about that messy straw technique -- even with the ear foam fix,
The evacuator comes with three "straws" and he largest diameter one fits in the straw hole like a glove. Pinch the straw retainer and pull it out of the way. Snake the evacuator tube down that hole on the tank(see pic). Much faster and gets more of the oil out because you can get down below the flexy straw drain pivot point.
I now use this thing for my cars as well!
That thing looks like it would probably work on the final drive as well. The tube on the one that I have is to big to get in the "straw" hole, and that is about the size that you would need to get past the gears in the final.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2008, 6:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM
That thing looks like it would probably work on the final drive as well. The tube on the one that I have is to big to get in the "straw" hole, and that is about the size that you would need to get past the gears in the final.
Hmmmmm -- Haven't used it on the final drive. Looking at the supplied tubes, the small one may just slip in there under the gears. The main tube is the one that I use for the oil.
Fluid evacuator
0.23" OD x 5' long (5.7 mm OD x 1.5 m long) dipstick tube
0.26" OD x 5' long (6.6 mm OD x 1.5 m long) dipstick tube
0.41" OD x 5' long (10 mm OD x 1.5 m long) main evacuation tube

07 K1200GT

You can't have everything! Where would you put it?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2008, 1:58 am
Veteran

will the tube fit into the speedo sensor hole when removed? i think it is a straight shot and you don't have to fight around the gears. i have never used that hole, i fill through the drain hole with a syringe. if you can drain through the speedo sensor hole it may be worth removing.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2008, 9:52 am
Addict

I don't know about the speedo sensor hole, but there is a guy on the BMWLT site that uses a syringe with a with small tube attached through the drain hole.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode