Prospective owner with questions. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2008, 2:53 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Prospective owner with questions.

Hello all,

I am currently in Iraq and I am trying to decide what bike to order and have waiting for me when I return to Kansas. I have only owned sport bikes in the past; I guess I love the speed. As I get older, my tolerance for being hunkered down on a sport bike is getting lower. I never could really stand driving more then about a hundred and fifty miles distance at a time on sport bike being 6'4" tall. I still love acceleration but I am also looking for much more comfort! That obviously brings me to the sport touring arena.
The three bikes that I am doing research on are the FJR1300, the Concourse 14 and the K1200GT. The bike I sold before leaving for Iraq was a Honda CBR 954RR. Although it was a great bike and Honda makes good machines, I am not even considering their ST1300 or whatever the model number is. Not enough "sport" in their sport touring offering. I am not really a brand loyal kind of guy. I go for whoever makes the best product at the time of the decision. I am sure the bikes I am considering have been compared many times on this board. The FJR and the C14 come out to around $14K out the door making them a really great bang for the buck.
The 1200GT from using BMW's web site with all of the accessories added comes to $24K, or about ten grand more. Being a gadget guy and having the money to purchase the BMW makes it very appealing. Now the fiscal side of me does hesitate at spending ten thousand dollars more then competitive bikes in their own right. Have many of you gone through a similar thought process? In the end, did any of you ever regret spending such a large sum of money more over the other bikes out there?
Another thing that gives me slight pause is the styling. Although it is attractive, I would not rank it as a really visually stunning bike. I think the FJR 'looks' faster and more aggressive (must be the sport bike lover coming out of me). But of course that is all subjective. A lot of the bike magazines also seem to be all over the road rating wise. One magazine will have the GT at the top and another will have it at the bottom. Although I do think it does average higher ratings overall then lower.
Does BMW ever do special pricing and/or rebates on the GT? Also, when do the new model year bikes hit the dealers? It would be interesting to see what colors and additions/changes are added for 2009. Have people found that buying slightly used might be the route to take? I am sure one could save thousands of dollars taking that route. I am just wondering how hard it would be to find a fully loaded one in the color I prefer.

-Vega
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2008, 3:26 pm
IBR# 366

First of all, thanks for your service, and may you and your buddies accomplish your mission and come home safe.

The best advice is to ride them all and decide for yourself. Obviously, that's not really an option here.

Most guys on this site will be BMW biased, although I have read some comparisons here that are much fairer than the moto mags.

I bought the GT and love it. It's a stunning combination of power, technology, and comfort that you just can't get anywhere else. Pure sports bikes are a blast, but after 150 miles you're ready to crawl off of it while I'm not even through my first tank of fuel yet.

As for the three you mentioned, the FJR is like a Camaro: fun, fast, and a bit basic. The C14 is like an NSX: powerful with a bit of technology and styling but still a bit simple. The GT is like an M5: tons of technology married to a killer motor and suspension that you can just as easily ride 1,000 miles in a day, 150 mph, or leaned full-tilt through your favorite twisties.

I don't have a car so I need a bike that can pretty much do everything. For me, the GT just fits.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2008, 4:23 pm
Addict

I think pretty much everyone will tell you to test ride them all, and you really need to.

I test rode the FJR. Nice bike, but the one I rode was a bit buzzy up through the seat.

I test rode the C14. Nice bike, but the one I test rode wanted to stand up in the corners.

I test rode the GT. Nice bike, but the one I rode had the servo assist brakes.

I then started to do some shopping and at the time the C14 wasn't released yet, but I guessimated the price to be somewhere near the FJR. Then I started looking at used GTs and found that for about $2500 more than the FJR and what I THOUGHT the C14 equipped with ABS would come in at, I could get a fully loaded '06 GT ('07s weren't out yet) and decided to go that route. I have not regretted my decision. I like the C14. I like the power. I like the smoothness. But I wanted factory cruise, heated everything, electrical windshield, and the most marvelous thing BMW has ever installed - ESA. Once you've tried the ESA, you'll be spoiled.

Do yourself a favor and test ride each of them. Find the one that speaks to you. It's the only way you'll be sure.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2008, 4:32 pm

good choices

First, thank you for your service. We all appreciate what you have done.
Second, I did the same type thinking. I had a K1100LT that was perfect. I put 94,000 miles on it and it fit my wife and I for all we wanted to do. I am also 6'4".

BMW did not replact the K1100LT. The K1200LT is a boat, the K1200RS (and old GT is just an RS) is too much a sport bike and has half a bag on the left.

The K1200GT starting in 2006 is the replacement (finally). We looked at the FJR1300, Conny, and the ST1300. The GT fits and is worth the extra $10K. I say, "go for it. And welcome home"
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2008, 9:39 pm
Enthusiast

I'm the odd man out here. I am a Viet Nam vet, so thanks for picking up the torch!

Never did the sport bikes, motocrosser in the 70's instead. Did the cruiser thing mostly since. Got tired of the noise, and short trips between eats, the formation riding was kinda cool tho! Now what was the subject here, oh yeah.

The C14 was on my list along with the GT to test drive, my dealer just sold both, so nothing to ride but an RT. Ended up getting a used GT for just a few thousand over the C14.

C14 is touted as being faster than the GT, but at the kind of speed this beast runs, that must be best out 3 thing I think. C14 gets like 37mpg, my GT gets 43 inbetween severe wrist twists

I don't know if the GT will hit 159 like a lot of people say, but I know it will cruise like on a rail around 120 -130. If we could get a GT lane put in on some interstates, well!

I can cruise down the hiway 2up with my wife, the ESA set on 1 helmet + luggage, dampening set to normal, what is that up ahead twisties, push button to firm on dampening, rock and roll. Just too cool in my book.

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:45 am

Thank you for your service and the freedoms you provide.

I think all of us went through the same debate. I ride year around, unless there is ice, so heated grips and seat was a must. Mine was made easier after do the comparisons of bikes from the manufacturer web sites. T
he Kawa dealer had one Connie, would not even start it, no test rides, it looked cheap, and they were asking sticker plus.
The FJR had to be ordered ( 1-3 months) and paid in advance, if I didn't like it "something could be worked out", yeah right.
Bob's BMW had a few GTs (all blue, oh well, custom paint will be coming) and let me ride it as much as I wanted, both single and 2 up. After the wife got off, the smile on her face locked the deal. After negotiations I have a 2007 with everything other than TPM for under 19K. I hate getting off of it at work and can't wait to mount up after work.

Good luck and get back here safe.

Terry

2007 K1200 GT
1998 R1100 RT traded in
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2008, 4:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
First of all, thanks for your service, and may you and your buddies accomplish your mission and come home safe.

The best advice is to ride them all and decide for yourself. Obviously, that's not really an option here.

Most guys on this site will be BMW biased, although I have read some comparisons here that are much fairer than the moto mags.

I bought the GT and love it. It's a stunning combination of power, technology, and comfort that you just can't get anywhere else. Pure sports bikes are a blast, but after 150 miles you're ready to crawl off of it while I'm not even through my first tank of fuel yet.

As for the three you mentioned, the FJR is like a Camaro: fun, fast, and a bit basic. The C14 is like an NSX: powerful with a bit of technology and styling but still a bit simple. The GT is like an M5: tons of technology married to a killer motor and suspension that you can just as easily ride 1,000 miles in a day, 150 mph, or leaned full-tilt through your favorite twisties.

I don't have a car so I need a bike that can pretty much do everything. For me, the GT just fits.

Fantastic post as it is exactly what I think too. I am 50 and I am not getting younger but I often think of adding an S with a GS and keeping my GT so I have the best of three worlds.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2008, 11:26 pm
TJD
Rookie

GT Decision

Thanks for your service over there brother. Your country really does appreciate it.

The GT really is the ultimate combination of performance and options. All three bikes are nice though and you could probably be happy with any of them. The only thing I can add is that there is no way you should have to spend an extra $10k to get the GT. I bought mine last year and also spent under $19k for a well equipped bike (everything except the TSA and Traction Control.) For me, the beemer package was well worth the extra $5k.

Get home soon -
TD

TJD
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2008, 12:43 am

I just bought my '07 GT a month ago. I have a '94 Honda VFR 750 which I've had since 1996. Going from the VFR to the BMW is a HUGE departure. I like the VFR, but I found that I didn't ride it enough and carbs would get gummed-up and require TLC. I wanted to go to something with EFI so after getting the VFR sericed for the carbs yet again, I drove over to the BMW dealership to check out the bikes. Now I needed a different motorcycle like I need a third nut, but I like riding from time-to-time, so I gotta keep a bike around. So the sales guy offers me test ride on the GT and I literally come back speachless. It was like riding on a cloud. Nice protection from the wind....variable suspension settings....handled much lighter than I expected for a substantially bigger bike. It was such a sweet ride compared to the VFR. One thing I did notice is that the VFR seems to have much quicker raw acceleration. You flick your wrist on the VFR and your heart skips a beat and you feel like it's going to throw you off the back. You flick your wrist on the GT and it's strong, powerful, and smooth, but it doesn't seem to have that raw and scary acceleration you get with the rice rockets. Just my perception and I don't have any data to work from, just an off-the-cuff comparison. So I bought a used '07GT with 5,000 miles on it from a private party and I'm pleased with my purchase. The VFR is for sale.....was a good bike, but I think my older, fatter body will enjoy the GT. I'm a little worried about maintenance braindamage with the tech-heavy GT, but it came with an extended warranty and I'll just have to cross fingers. Like other have suggested, take a test-ride and see how it strikes you. Compared to a rice rocket, the GT is cush and comfortable...I'd even venture to say it will give you a false sense of security with respect to one's riding ability as it handles so well and the suspension is so forgiving, but it's solid as sh*t and I can see why those who ride BMW's do so with such brand-loyalty.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2008, 1:54 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks to all of you for your input. I am definitely leaning toward the 1200GT, it just sounds like the right bike for me even if the admission price is a little high. I also looked up the Ducati 1098. Has anyone seen this bike? A truly gorgeous and fast sport bike. Ducati even lowered their prices; you can get one of these beauties for like 15K. It is the sport bike rider in me being tempted! Although I know I could not buy one in the back of my head. All I have to do is imagine myself once again crouched over with neck pain and there goes that idea.

Has anyone had any dealings with these BMW dealers:

ENGLE MOTORS, INC. 6633 TRUMAN ROAD
KANSAS CITY, MO 64126

and

BMW MOTORCYCLES OF OMAHA 6775 S. 118 STREET
OMAHA, NE 68137

Those are the two closest dealers to where I live and I will contact them about the GT. I will also ask the dealers but does anyone know when the 2009's would be available for order? I am not sure what kind of timetable BMW uses to release their new model year bikes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode