Synthetic mineral oil for clutch - when to switch? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2008, 3:34 pm Thread Starter

Synthetic mineral oil for clutch - when to switch?

So who has switched over to the synthetic mineral oil for the clutch?

Or will it go if we use synthetic?

Serious answers only please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2008, 3:52 pm

What kind of question is that? Mineral Oil? I use that on my old joints. Besides, with a name like Sucati...it could only mean one thing...You only have a jap bike! Right?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2008, 4:51 pm
Capn' Blowhard

See here.

Extra virgin olive oil clutch fluid flush, bath, wrassle and fill

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2008, 7:38 pm

Syn Oil

Rookie;
I am not sure about the "mineral oil" part, but I have recently (18K mile service) converted from petro based oil to synthetic in an attempt to reduce/eliminate clutch squeal.
As a background, the noise was first detected and noted at the 600 mile service and got progressively worse until BMW (at my dealer's insistence) finally (at 16K miles) agreed to replace clutch basket assembly and misc hardware even though my 07 had the newly redesigned assembly installed. Wear in the basket area and on various hardware pieces were noted. After the replacement work the squeal ceased.
However, after about 1K miles it began again and was noticeably increasing in audibility. With the conversion to synthetic oil, the noise has been greatly reduce, but still present. My intent is to monitor this condition until the next oil change and determine what action will be required. At this point my opinion is that the input shaft needs to be reworked per the factory's direction for the 06 and early 07 models in order to improve lubrication.
More to follow.
Good luck to you in your querying.
EJ
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2008, 1:52 am
Veteran

i believe they are discussing the fluid in the reservoir in the hydraulic clutch. not the oil shared by the wet clutch and motor.

the question that the original person who started the thread......is there an optional synthetic mineral oil or is the one from A&S the only fluid that should be used? i have a k12r 05 oct build and i did my 12k scheduled maintenance. A&S said that it still doesn't need to be changed. they even the brake fluid and clutch fluid doesn't need to be changed for 4 years.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2008, 4:01 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniejen
Rookie;
I am not sure about the "mineral oil" part, but I have recently (18K mile service) converted from petro based oil to synthetic in an attempt to reduce/eliminate clutch squeal.
As a background, the noise was first detected and noted at the 600 mile service and got progressively worse until BMW (at my dealer's insistence) finally (at 16K miles) agreed to replace clutch basket assembly and misc hardware even though my 07 had the newly redesigned assembly installed. Wear in the basket area and on various hardware pieces were noted. After the replacement work the squeal ceased.
However, after about 1K miles it began again and was noticeably increasing in audibility. With the conversion to synthetic oil, the noise has been greatly reduce, but still present. My intent is to monitor this condition until the next oil change and determine what action will be required. At this point my opinion is that the input shaft needs to be reworked per the factory's direction for the 06 and early 07 models in order to improve lubrication.
More to follow.
Good luck to you in your querying.
EJ
I had the larger oil nozzle work done on my 06 and while the noise is largely reduced its still there if i have to start off on a hill or if i have the minister for war on the back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode