Should I get the new airbox now? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2008, 11:02 am Thread Starter
Noob

Cool Should I get the new airbox now?

What do you guys think. I have a 2007 K1200GT, 1600 miles, and so far no BBS or high Idle. I keep reading about all the bikes developing this at some point. I know some of you think that if it is not broke don't fix it, but I plan on going on several rides this summer and don't want to get away from home and have this develope. Should I tell my dealer I have this problem and have the new airbox and software installed, or take my chances.

Thanks for your input
GT Wheels

Last edited by GTWheels; Apr 11th, 2008 at 12:21 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2008, 12:41 pm
Noob

I also have a 2007 and have not had this problem. There are no guarantees in this world. I am a "if it ain't broke don't fix it guy". Search some of the threads on this forum and you will find disquieting evidence that bikes that have had software upgrades and new airboxes have other problems such as backfiring or still have some other behaviour problems. My advice is to leave it alone!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2008, 1:04 pm
Would rather be riding

+1 if it ain't broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz_drfritz
I also have a 2007 and have not had this problem. There are no guarantees in this world. I am a "if it ain't broke don't fix it guy".
That's my plan as well. I've also got an '07 with about 4K miles so far, and as far as I can tell the throttle is solid, even at low revs, so I'm not going to mess with it. (But it's good to keep the issue in mind -- if I ever notice any sign of HI/BBS I'll know exactly what to do about it.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2008, 2:56 pm
Enthusiast

I'd consider the cost and where you'd be riding the bike (in the future if you don't have the issue) or even if you may consider selling it, having the modifications will be less hassle down the road (for everyone).
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2008, 3:09 pm

I did it

I have close to 10k on my 07 and I never had any problems nor did I want to find out. I had mine done last Thursday just for peace of mind and if is just as great as it ever was. No backfiring or anything sort of problem on the 120 miles back. I even got a new air filter while the fairing was off. I would do it again.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2008, 3:39 pm
IBR# 366

I'd get it done if for no other reason than to hold BMW responsible. The bean counters measure warranty claims closely, and if the numbers get too high then they push for changes. So if you just let it go then they have no real incentive to fix these sorts of problems.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2008, 5:52 pm
Would rather be riding

But I don't have a problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
I'd get it done if for no other reason than to hold BMW responsible. The bean counters measure warranty claims closely, and if the numbers get too high then they push for changes. So if you just let it go then they have no real incentive to fix these sorts of problems.
The problem with this reasoning is that I don't actually have a problem! ...it seems (mildly) unethical to tell BMW that something's broken when it isn't, just to get a new part. And since this has already been changed in the '08 model, my false report won't make any difference. I can't hold BMW responsible for something they haven't done to me!

If this was a problem that might leave me stuck someplace (like a final drive failure), then I'd be a lot more serious about preventative measures.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2008, 6:35 pm

Red face Two kinds of GTs, those that have HI/BBS & those that will

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidebob
That's my plan as well. I've also got an '07 with about 4K miles so far, and as far as I can tell the throttle is solid, even at low revs, so I'm not going to mess with it. (But it's good to keep the issue in mind -- if I ever notice any sign of HI/BBS I'll know exactly what to do about it.)
How about low speed throttle sensitivity.
I didn't have any HI/BBS until 9,000 miles but I did have a touchy throttle which was helped by a software update (to 7.01) but really not completely fixed until the v.3 airbox/software upgrade. It also takes out alot of the up-change gear clunk!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2008, 6:52 pm
Enthusiast

I would get it done now, or at least within warranty period. You might have an easier time convincing dealer that it happened at low miles than at high miles.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2008, 7:40 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidebob
The problem with this reasoning is that I don't actually have a problem! ...it seems (mildly) unethical to tell BMW that something's broken when it isn't, just to get a new part. And since this has already been changed in the '08 model, my false report won't make any difference. I can't hold BMW responsible for something they haven't done to me!

If this was a problem that might leave me stuck someplace (like a final drive failure), then I'd be a lot more serious about preventative measures.
Man, I have to agree with you. I was talking to Robert, one of the owners of Lonestar, told him I'd fettled the airbox and hadn't had a problem since. He said if it popped up to let him know. Well, it did, I did and they're going to on the 16th.

Not all of them do it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it pops up, then do it.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode