Hesitation & lighting questions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2008, 8:42 pm Thread Starter
BCC

Hesitation & lighting questions

Every once in while when I crack the throttle at around 4000-5000 rpm, it feel like the bike hesitates before accelerating. It's an '08 and is about to go in for it's first service. Is this something to mention or do "they all do that"?

I'm used to having auxiliary lighting on bikes. This time I want to go with something that blends in with the bike, until turned on. So motolights attached to the calipers are probably out. And I'm not too concerned about making myself more conspicuous, I just want to avoid critters at night. Any suggestions?

I must say, I really like this bike. I'm following the break-in pretty well by the book. Can't wait to let her fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2008, 10:02 pm
IBR# 366

When was your '08 built? The early '08 bikes came with an old version air box that sometimes gives hesitation and idle problems. There's a Service Bulletin that we can check against your VIN to see if you're affected.

Does your '08 have the Xenon HID low beam? If not, there are retrofit kits available that will make a huge difference.

And don't be too timid with the throttle. These engines love a few high-rpm runs during break-in. Just vary the throttle position often and don't lug it. Other than that, just ride the wheels off it and enjoy yourself.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2008, 9:57 am
Noob

I've been looking around for a good looking lighting option too. So far I like this one the best. http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showpo...92&postcount=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:20 pm Thread Starter
BCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
When was your '08 built? The early '08 bikes came with an old version air box that sometimes gives hesitation and idle problems. There's a Service Bulletin that we can check against your VIN to see if you're affected.

Does your '08 have the Xenon HID low beam? If not, there are retrofit kits available that will make a huge difference.

And don't be too timid with the throttle. These engines love a few high-rpm runs during break-in. Just vary the throttle position often and don't lug it. Other than that, just ride the wheels off it and enjoy yourself.
Sorry to take so long to respond to your question on my bike.

The VIN number on the bike is WB103970X7ZP60859. I had just assumed the '08's would have the latest fixes.

Yes the bike has the Xenon HID

Thanks for any insights.

BCC
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2008, 7:50 am
Enthusiast

My favorite, so far:

http://www.bmwofdenver.com/eshopprod...GT_Light_M.htm

I'm planning on mounting a pair of PIAA 1400 ion instead of the 1100x shown.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2008, 9:57 am

My bike does the same thing when hot and at all speeds, especially on shifting getting back to the throttle. (06). I have the 3rd gen air box.
These are available at BMW of Denver Co.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BMW of Denver (Matt Notebloom, 303 755 6400) offers a neat (albiet expensive) mount set for PIAA 1100's. I have used them in conjunction with lights from Walmart, which do the job, for me. They were created by a BMW Denver customer, and I think they have exclusive rights to sell them. $170. Can't figure out how to include pictures.
contact me off line, and I can send you a couple.

Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC
Every once in while when I crack the throttle at around 4000-5000 rpm, it feel like the bike hesitates before accelerating. It's an '08 and is about to go in for it's first service. Is this something to mention or do "they all do that"?

I'm used to having auxiliary lighting on bikes. This time I want to go with something that blends in with the bike, until turned on. So motolights attached to the calipers are probably out. And I'm not too concerned about making myself more conspicuous, I just want to avoid critters at night. Any suggestions?

I must say, I really like this bike. I'm following the break-in pretty well by the book. Can't wait to let her fly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode