Gas guage bit me again! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2008, 9:46 am Thread Starter

Gas guage bit me again!

I went for a ride the other day and the bike (07 KGT) ran great. I was coming to a stop light and the bike died like someone shut it off. I knew I was getting low on gas because I was trying to run all the old gas out of it before I filled up.

It was empty and the gauge said I had 1/4 of a tank left and 98 miles to go. I had gone 209 miles. I was lucky to be 30 feet from a gas station! The bike took 6.4 gallons which is listed as the "usable capacity" in the manual. There was not a drop of gas to be seen with my flash light. The manual then talks about 1.1 gallon "reserve". WTF is that. to my knowledge there is no way to access it.

I had this problem when I bought the bike and they fixed it. It was fine all last season but what ever the issue is, it is back.

I am told I am the first one (my dealer knows of) who has had the gauge fixed and had the problem come back. They pulled something out of the tank reset it and then updated the computer. I was wondering if anyone else has had the problem come back after having the fuel gauge reset?

I am not worried though I am lucky to have a great dealer (Second Wind in Merrimack NH)who does not try to deny any problems and they will dig until they find the right fix.

I did a search on this and read a few posts but no service update or defined fix that I could see. I thought this information might be helpful to someone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2008, 12:40 pm
Addict

I haven't seen or heard of many of the gauges or the miles to empty reading that are very accurate on any of the GT's or RT's. I just use the trip meters. I know that the fuel gauge is a small thing, in the grander scheme, but damnit, I paid for it, and I want it to work correctly.
The 1.1 gallon reserve is "included" in the 6.3 total. It just means that the little yeller light comes on when there is approximately 1.1 gallons left. 209 miles seems kinda low for a full tank (33.17)mpg. Most of em get around 45.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2008, 1:20 pm
Enthusiast

And this brings up the question to everyone: At what reading on your odo do you start really looking for gas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2008, 3:48 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS
And this brings up the question to everyone: At what reading on your odo do you start really looking for gas?
I usually fill up between 225 - 250 miles on the trip meter. At that pont my reserve light comes on and I know that I have a gallon (give or take) left. If I'm going on a trip, I usually try to plan my gas stops ahead of time at 200 mile stops.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2008, 4:27 pm

Had the same thing on my KGT at about 3000 miles - quarter tank showing and 50 miles estimated by the computer and it came to an abrupt halt.
New sensor fitted and so far okay.
Dave

If it's not fun - your doing it wrong !!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2008, 7:26 pm

The Liquid Fix!

I was perusing a dealer's website and found the cure for this problem!

Regular use of BMW Fuel System Cleaner Plus can prevent fuel gauge malfunction caused by harmful sulfur components found in some fuels.

The bottle looks suspiciously like Chevron's Techron to me.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2008, 8:19 pm

Knock no wood but haven't had this problem yet. In fact, the only real problem I've had was the sensor for the key went south. Another good reason to use the trip odometer between fill ups.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2008, 1:04 am
Enthusiast

I never start lookig for fuel until the bike says zero km to go, well after the orange warning light comes on. At this time there is about 60km (37.5miles) to go before empty. I usually fill up after about 40km (25m) and put around 22.5l. It is supposed to hold 24l. I once put 24l in the tank and it was still running.

For commuting that includes lots of city riding I get 360km (225miles) for my 22l of fuel. When riding on the open road two up, I get around 350km till the computer tells me zero km to go, which takes about 20l to fill up.

This has been consistent for 13 months and 23000km (14000m) of riding.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2008, 1:32 am Thread Starter

After it was fixed the first time it was pretty accurate. I was waiting for the amber light to come on. I was tracking the miles on trip 2 but I got too trusting of the gauge. I think the reason for low mile count was that it was the tank of gas that was put in for the winter and there was some evaporation and several start and warm up periods on that tank of gas. It is no big deal but it was funny that I happened to be right in front of a gas station!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2008, 3:05 am
2 heads are better than 1

I haven't had that happe on my 08, but I wouldn't be surprised. The gas gauge isn't calbrated well at all, and distance till empty calculations are all over the map all the time. For example, I drove to work Friday and got there with 92 miles left. Got on it at lunch and rode 2 miles on surface streets, and when I got the the restaurant it showed 56 miles till empty. Rode 10 miles to the BMW shop after that and it bumped up to 72. Gas gauge was showing a little over a 1/4 tank to about 1/8 at various ponts throughtout this little adventure. I filled up as soon as I saw a station.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode