Stebel Installed, CanBus Shuts it Down - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2008, 5:29 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
MikeM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Posts: 364
Stebel Installed, CanBus Shuts it Down

Hello guys, I had my dealer install the Stebel I bought from Pirates website. In fact, I gave the tech a copy of Messenger13's install instructions from this site.

the issue is that if I hold the horn button for more than a second or two, the CanBus shuts it down. Turn off the bike and restart, the horn will work again....but same thing, only a second or two then shut down.

I have a CanBus-helper unit installed for a couple of accessories I have, so can I have it re-wired there to bypass the CanBus?

Mike M
MikeM is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2008, 6:41 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: camarillo, california, usa
Posts: 101
Angry Another Dealer Pretending to be a BMW Mechanic

The dealer must have missed the part about the RELAY. That is the component that sends the power from the battery to the Stebel.

The OEM horn is left in the CanBus circuit and an added wire closes the RELAY to activate the Stebel. If the dealer just wired the Stebel to the CanBus circuit, it will think there is an overload and shut the circuit down.

Good Luck,

jim
spafxer is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2008, 8:00 pm
Strafist
 
grifscoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Outside New Braunfels, TX, USA
Posts: 2,544
Or, they don't know how to wire a relay, so didn't. I've seen that one too many times.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
grifscoots is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2008, 9:05 pm
Enthusiast
 
dhanson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Doyline, Louisiana, USA
Posts: 302
Installed 55 watts moto lights on the front fender mount this afternoon. I have the HID kit, so tied into the red coming from the old low beam connector for my trigger/switch to relay, works great.

Does not come on till the motor cranks and lowbeam fires. happy camper.

Gots to have that relay in there for sure!

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)
dhanson is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2008, 2:16 am
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Arnold, CA, USA
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanson
Installed 55 watts moto lights on the front fender mount this afternoon. I have the HID kit, so tied into the red coming from the old low beam connector for my trigger/switch to relay, works great.

Does not come on till the motor cranks and lowbeam fires. happy camper.

Gots to have that relay in there for sure!
Do you mean there's a low beam signal accessible from an unused connector on GTs that have the HID option installed? Oh happy days! Where is it?

Thanks.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
howfly is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2008, 8:04 am
Enthusiast
 
dhanson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Doyline, Louisiana, USA
Posts: 302
If you mean the factory HID, I don't know (my bike did not have the factory HID), I installed the HID kit that Griff details in the technical section, and used the red wire that comes from the old headlight connector. That is, the kit has a plugin that goes to the original headlamp connector, I spliced into the red wire coming from that.

The part number on the fancy splice connector is: PTA 1618 It is the blue connector below the XM antenna.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1478.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	7631  

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)
dhanson is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2008, 12:48 pm
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Arnold, CA, USA
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanson
If you mean the factory HID, I don't know (my bike did not have the factory HID), I installed the HID kit that Griff details in the technical section, and used the red wire that comes from the old headlight connector. That is, the kit has a plugin that goes to the original headlamp connector, I spliced into the red wire coming from that.

The part number on the fancy splice connector is: PTA 1618 It is the blue connector below the XM antenna.
Thanks. Pic very helpful. Do you know whose part no. that is for the splice connector?

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
howfly is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2008, 1:28 pm
IBR# 366
 
Meese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oxnard, CA, USA
Posts: 3,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by howfly
Thanks. Pic very helpful. Do you know whose part no. that is for the splice connector?
The cable with the inline fuse is part of the HID upgrade kit. The blue tap connector is a Posi-Tap. Check here for some examples.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Meese is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2008, 12:38 am
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Arnold, CA, USA
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
The cable with the inline fuse is part of the HID upgrade kit. The blue tap connector is a Posi-Tap. Check here for some examples.
Ken,

On another thread (on another forum), you recommended that people not use insulation displacement taps. I agree with that recommendation, having had problems with them in the past, although I have never seen the PosiTap before. Your post above seems to conflict with your earlier post. Is the PosiTap different in some way from other displacement taps, or have you softened some?

I'm trying to find a good way to get to the low-beam signal on my GT, without mucking up the wiring, and haven't found a way, yet. I was hoping that maybe someone had made up a pigtail that would go inline with the headlight connector and provide a righteously sealed tap. I've given up on the dream that BMW provided it somewhere.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
howfly is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2008, 8:43 am
Strafist
 
grifscoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Outside New Braunfels, TX, USA
Posts: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by howfly
Ken,

On another thread (on another forum), you recommended that people not use insulation displacement taps. I agree with that recommendation, having had problems with them in the past, although I have never seen the PosiTap before. Your post above seems to conflict with your earlier post. Is the PosiTap different in some way from other displacement taps, or have you softened some?

I'm trying to find a good way to get to the low-beam signal on my GT, without mucking up the wiring, and haven't found a way, yet. I was hoping that maybe someone had made up a pigtail that would go inline with the headlight connector and provide a righteously sealed tap. I've given up on the dream that BMW provided it somewhere.
First off, I don't believe a Scotch lock or any other type of connector should be used on a bike. The environment is purdy harsh and years down the road they could cause a problem. Soldering is the way to go.

I hacked into the wiring once to run my Painless fuse block using the low beam as described in the Canbus 101 article. All has been good.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
grifscoots is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canbus 101 randy K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 38 Jul 30th, 2007 9:45 pm
Chuck to the white courtesy phone- Stebel grifscoots K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 22 Apr 8th, 2007 8:40 am
Stebel Nautilis Air horns on New GT? pmorritt K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 22 Jan 17th, 2007 3:59 am
Autocom & Canbus Problem 2wheeler K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 13 Nov 16th, 2006 9:29 am
Radar detector installed raffyk K12/1300R/R-Sport 2 Feb 15th, 2006 12:07 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome