What if.... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2008, 4:21 am Thread Starter
Capn' Blowhard

What if....

I had my airbox replaced last week.

When I called to schedule the appt, they told me that they would not update the software because the last two ECU's they updated ended up fried. It was going in for new tires and recalls, but figured I'd try for a new airbox and software update.

Figuring I wouldn't get an airbox or software update, I took a pic of both the airbox and ecu dongle in their old, original state.

Well, the new airbox is new...but the harness/dongle used for software updates wasn't touched. I know, conspiracy theory in full effect here but it seems I had a reason to take the picture before taking the bike in. I had the cap installed loosely in a certain orientation and the dongle reinserted into the cradle in such a way that it would be tough to put back just like that.

Comparing notes tonight, the dongle wasn't even touched.

SO.....what if the airbox is new, but the software 'aint?

The bike is running fine but I only have 30 miles on it so far post airbox swap - no CEL or obvious issues. But I recall reading that the new airbox required 9.x or above. The last software update I had was 7.1 in Dec of 2006.

If it hasn't thrown a code by now, I assume it's okay but who knows.

Looks like I'll be riding down to Austin to visit a dealership that will take care of me.

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2008, 7:50 am
Enthusiast

I would like to go back to my original software if I could. Also, I had the ver 10 software loaded several weeks before the box, noticed it acted different but still had some high idle issues. The air box was the big change in my bike, very smooth operation now.

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2008, 8:27 am
Strafist

Part of any service is to hook the bike to computer to get a feeling of it's "wellness". I think the issue went deeper than what you were saying, like their machine is broken, or the guy who knows how to use it is on vacation.

I've never heard of BMW's own machine frying an ECU.

The GS-911 is kewl, git you one and have some fun with it.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2008, 1:47 pm Thread Starter
Capn' Blowhard

grif, you're right - I forgot to mention that the impression they left me with was that their 'puter was borked. BUT, that said, I told them to keep the bike as long as they needed 'til they got it fixed so they could update the software. Ultimately a dealer should fix their stuff to take care of us folks and not pass the burden on. When they said they'd replaced the airbox, I figured that just meant that they had fixed their equipment and were able to do the swap with new software, etc.

A few google searches brought up instances of this happening elsewhere and the bike appears to run fine across the board with other folks. I'm heading out for a 6,500 mile trip in June that will take me through some areas with other dealers so I'll likely get it updated or checked out at one of those.

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2008, 5:01 pm

Thumbs down How to fry an ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I've never heard of BMW's own machine frying an ECU.
The service manager at the BMW dealer here in Wichita (no longer a dealer as of Feb.) told me they had ECU's fry, lock-up, whatever you want to call it on several K1200S's. They had to be replaced, warranty of course!

P.S. BMW is not the only company out there with fueling issues. I saw a Moto Guzzi Norge with HI. I saw a ST1300 with fueling problems, Honda was no help at all to the dealer. They learned it from the Germans!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:53 pm

Hey Nexus,

Theoretically an airbox swap without software update would fix the high idle (no more air door shaft binding) but would retain the BBS/touchy low speed throttle problem.

Take care,
Jeff
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2008, 9:54 am
Addict

I also just had my airbox replaced last Friday. On the work order it stated:

Warranty cliam, work done to replace airbox
Part# 13717672549 2 striker plate (airsnorkel clips)
Part#: 13717705470 1 Air Box
Installed new airbox, checked software with CIP.
No programming was needed, therefore None was performed.

Now this from a K1200GT website when I asked the question about our infamous problem.

"every VIN below ZN47596 has the old air box, and every VIN below ZN47568 has the old software. That is according to the BMW Bulletin 13 003 07 (058) of December 2007"

I'm sure this is why I didn't get the new SW and maybe also your reason.

My bike runs fine but after only a few commute rides nothing is for sure.

Sometimes we all seem to be looking for problems it seems. If it works then hey its okay.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2008, 1:09 pm

So if my VIN is WB10597097ZN46200, it means I have the faulty airbox and dated software?

Thanks,

Scott
San Diego, CA
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2008, 3:25 pm

Wink Do the math

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectSwitch
So if my VIN is WB10597097ZN46200, it means I have the faulty airbox and dated software?
It's only faulty if it doesn't work!
But yours was produced before the new airbox/software came on line!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2008, 4:16 pm
Enthusiast

Nexus,

Not that I'm asking you to call out the specific dealership, but might they be a Mom & Pop operation on Avenue K in Plano, TX also selling Ducati and Triumphs?

I've been trying to negotiate with this certain dealership over a 2008 BMW and they aren't offering hardly anything to move the bike. No coming off MSRP and no free first 600 mile service. Just a small discount on their already overpriced gear hanging on the walls.

Don't mean to hijack your thread. Is this the customaryl level of service at this fine dealership?

Thanks and good luck with your SW,

David

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode