49 liter top case - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2008, 9:39 pm Thread Starter

49 liter top case

I have the 49 liter top case for my 2007 GT. I want to drill holes to install a luggage rack and realize that this top case is double walled.
Does anyone know if the inside wall is removable? I'm concerned that if I drill though both walls then attach the rack, the walls may collapse and not be structurally sound. Has anyone had any experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2008, 9:55 pm
Noob

Sorry I don't know the answer, but the case is mounted pretty high, I would be reluctant to put very much on top of it!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2008, 12:10 am
Would rather be riding

Maybe heat would help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGT-Rider
I have the 49 liter top case for my 2007 GT. I want to drill holes to install a luggage rack and realize that this top case is double walled.
Does anyone know if the inside wall is removable? I'm concerned that if I drill though both walls then attach the rack, the walls may collapse and not be structurally sound. Has anyone had any experience with this?
I wouldn't worry about hurting the structural integrity by drilling a few small holes, even through two layers. That case is bombproof.

See this short thread for a couple of pictures of a HD rack on a BMW top case.

I spent about half an hour trying to remove the inner layer of the top case prior to having it painted. It appears to be held together mainly with double-sided rubber tape. Once you get the passenger rest off, there's nothing obvious holding the inner and outer shells together. I pried around a little while and managed to start to separate the tape, but I got worried I was flexing the plastic to much and stopped. Heat might help soften the adhesive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2008, 12:17 am
Veteran

Ditto on putting anything on top of it. Don't think I'd do it. You'd be asking for trouble.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2008, 1:44 am
I'm riding

Do a search among the posts two years ago - there was a guy who fixed the rack on top of the case. There were some pics attached. He lived in Florida, AFAIK.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:47 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
Do a search among the posts two years ago - there was a guy who fixed the rack on top of the case. There were some pics attached. He lived in Florida, AFAIK.
If I remember correctly he used the ultra chrome rack that Harley sells for their boxes. After he put the chrome thing on top of his box, Harley dudes started waving to him.. He also got an overwelming urge to drink beer and and wear a do-rag under his skull cap helmet.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2008, 2:53 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
I'm pretty sure that was Jpalamaro...

Yep, found it! The pictures are gone, but here's the thread:link

Here are pics of his awesome looking stead...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2008, 3:07 pm
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniciaRT
I'm pretty sure that was Jpalamaro...

Yep, found it! The pictures are gone, but here's the thread:link

Here are pics of his awesome looking stead...
Yep, that's him. Thanx!

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2008, 4:32 pm
fas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGT-Rider
From an aero POV, you can do it but what happens in high lateral winds at high speeds.

The force against the plane of whatever you add on top is multiplied times the distance you are adding vertically. Remember the warning about riding with the top case at speeds over 112 in the owners manual? They are covering their butts. You are adding lift/drag above that stated limitation.

Rob Nelson
http://www.linkedin.com/in/robnelson44140
www.e-bikefun.com
2007 Super Duke 990
Orange Juice
2006 BMW K1200GT (now lives in Wisconsin)
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC (now lives in Georgia)
Toscana Temptress
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2008, 4:57 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
From an aero POV, you can do it but what happens in high lateral winds at high speeds.

The force against the plane of whatever you add on top is multiplied times the distance you are adding vertically. Remember the warning about riding with the top case at speeds over 112 in the owners manual? They are covering their butts. You are adding lift/drag above that stated limitation.
Yeah, but you could at least salvage the trunk rack and use it for a fire grate.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode