BMW short -> tall windscreen upgrade, pics - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2008, 2:52 pm Thread Starter
Would rather be riding

BMW short -> tall windscreen upgrade, pics

After reading this thread I bought a like-new tall BMW shield from another K-Bikes reader. For the record I'm 6'2" and 240 lbs, my seat is in the tall position, and my bars are on the lowest position.

The tall shield is only about 2" higher than the short one, as you can see from the pictures. There's no additional flip or curve or extra width.

At first I was really aware of the extra height, and it felt like the top of the shield was a lot closer to my face. After an hour of riding I was totally used to it.

With the short shield I pretty much always rode with it up just a little, or else the airstream would hit on my neck and shoulders. With the tall shield that's gone, and I kept it all the way down on the backroads. (I like my helmet out in the airstream, I find it the most comfortable and quiet.)

On the highway I put it up a few inches to quiet the wind noise, and honestly I don't notice much difference between the shields at 70+, probably because I just don't put this taller one up quite as high.

After washing the bike I took a quick freeway spin to dry it off and put the shield all the way up to try it out. I normally only do that in the rain, in the high position I notice a distinct downdraft on the front of my helmet, which pushes the water off nicely. Again I didn't really notice much difference between the shields here, I can still see over the top of the tall one just fine.

So overall I'd say it's a modest improvement. But then I wasn't all that unhappy with the short shield. Both seem to me preferable to the Cee Baily shield I tried once, as neither of the factory shields induce the buffeting and turbulence I got from that one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tall+Short on bike.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	7636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tall+Short loose.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	7637  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2008, 5:03 pm

+1 on the tall screen

Just enough, not too much

Bill
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2008, 12:33 pm

glad it helped

glad it helped. Now I still have to sell some stuff from the garage..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2008, 6:22 am
KJG

The tall screen

I have the lower seat and the shorter windscreen. I've been interested in upgrading to a taller screen. I also stand 6'2" and have noticed that when the screen is all the way up, I still get a fair amount of noise and wind. My wife, when riding with me, also gets a lot of wind. She is 5'6".

I have the feeling that the tall screen offered by BMW isn't going to help me too much and I was thinking of looking at some of the other screens that are offered. I was thinking that one that had a lip at the top might be a good idea.

Thanks for the information about the tall screen.

Ken
[email protected]

1982 Yamaha Vision
2007 BMW K1200GT
2009 BMW K1300GT
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2008, 9:54 am
Enthusiast

Yes, I am also very pleased with the BMW tall shield (I'm 6'1"). I ride with my seat and bars full-down. I keep the shield in the low position except when at highway speeds, then I raise it a couple of inches which pushes smooth airflow to the top of my helmet. When raised more than that, the windshield angle becomes too upright and there is a significant amount of buffeting. Will only use the screen full-up in rain.

Mike M
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 12:22 am
Veteran

Does anyone look through the windscreen?

While riding at highway speeds, there is a pocket of still air behind the tall windscreen. Above that, I can feel a strong blast that hits me in the chest. As I raise the windscreen, the wind blast raises with it. When the tall windscreen at the top position, the blast hits the top of my helmet just above the faceshield. The wind noise is quieter, but still very loud.

If I duck my head down a little, my helmet is in the still air behind the windscreen. It is VERY quiet there, but I have to look through the windscreen.

If I raise my head to the point where I can barely see over the top of the windscreen, the wind blast touches my helmet, and the loud wind noise is there again.

Is this a common experience for everyone with the tall screen? What do you do?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 8:42 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Buy an aftermarket windscreen. I rode my bike home from the dealer with a tall screen on it and immediately changed it (I had preordered all the farkles while waiting for the bike). A screen with an outward curve at the top will redirect the wind.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 3:28 pm
Noob

I am looking into a new shield. Which one did you buy?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2008, 3:23 pm Thread Starter
Would rather be riding

I never look through the shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Does anyone look through the windscreen?
I never look through the windscreen. Come to think of it, I never have on any of the bikes I've owned. Maybe that's why I prefer to keep my helmet out in the wind... habit. What I do is wear earplugs under the helmet. (See this WebBikeWorld article on helmets and hearing damage. I like the Extreme HEAROS when I'm not wearing in the ear headphones.)

I think wind noise is just part of the motorcycle experience. Heck, even in my Z4 I get a fair amount of wind noise at highway speed when the top is down.

I only ride with the windshield all the way way up when it's raining, it keeps the rain off and I get a nice stream of air down over the faceshield which blows away any errant drops.

Last edited by bonafidebob; Apr 21st, 2008 at 3:31 pm.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2008, 1:29 pm

I never look through the screen, always have my visor up and it is super quiet
Made locally, about $80
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen 1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	7906   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen 2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	7907   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen 3.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	7908  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode