ZUMO Auto Power Off - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2008, 10:44 am Thread Starter
Veteran
 
SKIZIKS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: , NS, Canada
Posts: 838
ZUMO Auto Power Off

I have my Zumo connected to the factory can-bus adapter in front of the battery box. When shutting down the bike the Zumo would stay on for about 30 secs and then bring up a screen asking if I wanted to continue on battery power. If nothing was selected it would switch itself off automatically.

For some reason that feature is no longer working. Any ideas on where to look to fix this?

Thanks.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
SKIZIKS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2008, 11:47 am
Rookie
 
boydgti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: calgary , alberta , canada
Posts: 49
zumo

So what happens now when u shut down the bike, does the zumo shut down? I would make sure with a meter that the power suppling the zumo is switched power. Go do a search on this site also
http://www.zumoforums.com/
boydgti is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2008, 1:03 am
Addict
 
Doru-in-Romania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bucharest, , Romania
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
I have my Zumo connected to the factory can-bus adapter in front of the battery box. When shutting down the bike the Zumo would stay on for about 30 secs and then bring up a screen asking if I wanted to continue on battery power. If nothing was selected it would switch itself off automatically.

For some reason that feature is no longer working. Any ideas on where to look to fix this?

Thanks.
i have a defective pin in the craddle and zumo stays on battery until drained if not shut off manually. check if it gets power from bike or runs on battery. use car holder and pull out cigarette lighter power adapter.


2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner
Doru-in-Romania is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2008, 6:30 am Thread Starter
Veteran
 
SKIZIKS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: , NS, Canada
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doru-in-Romania
i have a defective pin in the craddle and zumo stays on battery until drained if not shut off manually. check if it gets power from bike or runs on battery. use car holder and pull out cigarette lighter power adapter.
When the bike starts, the Zumo starts. It just doesn't shut down after the bike. It's like the Can-bus is staying active when it shouldn't be . . . .

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"

Last edited by SKIZIKS; Apr 16th, 2008 at 9:41 am.
SKIZIKS is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2008, 4:37 pm
Would rather be riding
 
bonafidebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA
Posts: 537
Nav III

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
When the bike starts, the Zumo starts. It just doesn't shut down after the bike. It's like the Can-bus is staying active when it shouldn't be . . . .
My NavIII (aka StreetPilot 2820) does stay on for a few minutes after you turn off the key. There's no internal battery on this thing (why not I can't say, there's certainly plenty of room for one and it would be very useful) so I know exactly when it's powered. It's probably plugged into the same accessory plug as the BMW Zumo.

Anyway, it comes on when you turn the key to the on position. Sometimes when I start the bike the unit resets, like the starter draws enough current to starve the GPS, but this doesn't happen every time. When I turn the key off the GPS stays on for a couple of minutes, then shuts off. That appears to be by design.

Maybe it's the same with your Zumo. Try waiting a little while after you turn off the bike.
bonafidebob is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2008, 6:32 pm
Veteran
 
allikanbe1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Yorktown, VA, USA
Posts: 969
My zumo stays on about 10 minutes after I shut down the KS. BMW dealer hardwired the zumo.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
allikanbe1 is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2008, 10:11 am
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
.... When shutting down the bike the Zumo would stay on for about 30 secs and then bring up a screen asking if I wanted to continue on battery power. If nothing was selected it would switch itself off automatically.
....
That's the way mine works when I just turn off the ignition. However, it also does some other weird things.

If I turn off the Zumo before I turn off the ignition the Zumo will turn itself back on when the CANbus shuts down. And it comes on under bike power, not the Zumo's internal power. Not good if you walk away from your bike too soon and don't catch it. Potential here for the Zumo to drain your bike's battery!

Another CANbus related issue. I noticed that when the bike is on a BMW CANbus-aware battery charger using the stock accessory socket that when you remove the battery charger the Zumo will turn itself on and be operating under bike power. Again, not good.
wyeknott is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 8:34 pm Thread Starter
Veteran
 
SKIZIKS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: , NS, Canada
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyeknott
That's the way mine works when I just turn off the ignition. However, it also does some other weird things.

If I turn off the Zumo before I turn off the ignition the Zumo will turn itself back on when the CANbus shuts down. And it comes on under bike power, not the Zumo's internal power. Not good if you walk away from your bike too soon and don't catch it. Potential here for the Zumo to drain your bike's battery!

Another CANbus related issue. I noticed that when the bike is on a BMW CANbus-aware battery charger using the stock accessory socket that when you remove the battery charger the Zumo will turn itself on and be operating under bike power. Again, not good.
Mine behaves similarly. For some reason, this week, the unit has begun switching off the way it's supposed too. After about 20-30 secs, a screen comes asking if you want to continue on battery power, if you say yes it runs from the internal Zumo battery, if you tap no it switches off immediately, if you do nothing there's a countdown timer on the selection screen and once it's count down, again the unit switches off. I'm happy. The bike battery drain is manageable as long as one remembers that anything "opening the port" (like a the battery charger) powers up the Can-bus and if the Zumo is connected it too powers up. Hence the potential drain.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
SKIZIKS is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Absolutely the most detailed description of the K1200S I've come across... sinc K12/1300S 20 Jul 19th, 2014 10:04 am
MP3 on Zumo 550 taxswami K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 9 Mar 10th, 2009 11:01 am
Shortening Zumo 550 Power Cable Marty2 GPS 5 Mar 2nd, 2008 6:51 pm
Auto Mount Needed for zumo mikec GPS 0 Nov 20th, 2007 8:46 am
Power Hookup Zumo to KRS... JMertz GPS 2 Jul 21st, 2007 10:25 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome