How reliable is the Zumo 550 on the bike? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2008, 12:29 am Thread Starter
Addict

How reliable is the Zumo 550 on the bike?

I used for many years the Garmin 2610 with no issues on several bikes. Software become obsolete (v6), instead of upgrading i got the new Zumo 550. Unit is fast, sensitive and has buil-in MP3 and bluetooth. Fact is that it only last 3 days on the GS, even with Touratech vibration-free mount. It was shaking very bad and as a result one of the pins in the craddle was damaged, powering off the unit. I wonder how reliable is your Zumo on the bike (yeah I know K is not shaking that much). I updated the 2610 to same v9 software as Zumo and thinking to install that back instead.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2008, 12:56 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doru-in-Romania
I used for many years the Garmin 2610 with no issues on several bikes. Software become obsolete (v6), instead of upgrading i got the new Zumo 550. Unit is fast, sensitive and has buil-in MP3 and bluetooth. Fact is that it only last 3 days on the GS, even with Touratech vibration-free mount. It was shaking very bad and as a result one of the pins in the craddle was damaged, powering off the unit. I wonder how reliable is your Zumo on the bike (yeah I know K is not shaking that much). I updated the 2610 to same v9 software as Zumo and thinking to install that back instead.
I don't think the 2610 and the Zumo use the same maps. The 2610 series used the non-NT (compressed) maps where the Zumo does.

The Zumo can cut out audio and power if it vibrates around. Suggestions are to anchor it better with some foam or Velcro on the cradle behind the unit. Some also use dielectric or Anti-Seize lube on the pins as well.

Mack
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2008, 1:21 am Thread Starter
Addict

talking about the maps not how the maps are compressed. yes, zumo is using nt version, better compression but maps are the same in v9, nt or non nt.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode