Wheel damage due to bent valve stem or vice versa? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 9:32 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Wheel damage due to bent valve stem or vice versa?

Has anyone had a wheel get damaged from a bent valve stem? It's a chicken/egg question.

When getting a new rear tire mounted today, the dealer discovered that the valve stem is bent about 5*, but the really weird thing is that where the valve stem comes out of the wheel the raised section around the valve stem hole is actually separating from the wheel, i.e. there is a crack visible about half way around the circle. Very strange. The dealer is claiming that something must have impacted the stem hard enough to damage the wheel, BUT there is no visible sign of any sort of impact to either the wheel or the stem.

One of the techs thought that it might have been a casting flaw that caused a weak spot on the wheel, although this begs the question as to what caused it to crack.

I'm stumped on this and am hoping (probably the wrong word) that someone else has come kind of information or experience about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 9:54 pm
Veteran

I took the rubber stem off my rear wheel and replaced it with a 90 degree (might really be 80-85 degrees) aluminum one from Dennis Kirk. Much easier to get air into the tire than the straight stem. Cost about $15 or so, but you need to get a rubber o-ring and a larger washer as it is built for a smaller hole than the BMW stem. I used a lot of aluminum colored RTV on the stem when assembled and wiped it off. Almost looks like part of the wheel.

Mack
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2008, 10:49 am

Mack,

How hard was it to balance the wheel with the extra weight on it?

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2008, 11:56 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJeff
Mack,
How hard was it to balance the wheel with the extra weight on it?
Jeff
Jeff, it wasn't that hard. The Dennis Kirk stem is all aluminum and pretty small so it doesn't weigh much. It may even weigh a bit less than the BMW rubber one.

Using Marc' Payne's balancer, one tire only had about 3/4 ounce worth of weights, but the last one had 3 ounces. Seems it's more of a problem with the tires than with the stem.

I'm just glad I got rid of the old stem. It was a PITA to try and measure the pressure much less try and snake an air hose onto the stem. I positioned the new one to point towards the same side as the front rim's stem so it's much easier to air the bike up.

Here's a link to the Dennis Kirk Right-Angle Tire Stem. The ad's photo looks to be almost the same size on my computer, maybe a tad smaller but not by much.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode