How do you rationalize the 'issues' w/ this bike? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2008, 2:36 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

How do you rationalize the 'issues' w/ this bike?

I am not posting this to stir up a huge debate, but am honestly asking the question. I have had a series of problems w/ this bike, and they just keep coming: ESA, TPM, final drive failure at 18k, dealer incompetence and poorly performed service, BMWNA's lack of response to issues, and now an apparently freak rear wheel 'casting flaw' which requires another warranty fight. I have spent a lot of time dealing w/ fixing issues and not out riding.

Yesterday I went and looked at the FJR and the C14, but what a sacrifice of features that would be. Thus I'm sitting here trying to come up w/ a story to tell myself that will reduce the cognitive dissonance and frustration. Especially from you guys who are still dealing w/ the BBS/HI issues on '06's....how do you put up with it? Fabulous bike when it runs and nothing available like it...BUT what a PITA!

Help me out here gang.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2008, 2:57 pm
Capn' Blowhard

I've been in the very same spot as you.

My Suzuki dealer treats me like I own a friggin' MotoGP bike compared to my experience with BMW. I'm a long time BMW car customer and haven't had any issues with them in the past.

By contrast, their bike side of things makes me feel like I've purchased a used Huffy on ebay. From Zimbabwe.

When the new Connie came out and had all the reviews hitting the newstands and websites, I paid attention.

Heck, I even went so far as to Google Goldwings. GOLDWINGS!!! I had been drinking that night, but still. Actually, I was drinking a lot come to think of it because I even considered a new 'Busa as a touring bikes (hey, some guys make it work!).

Eventually, even though I knew from my initial research when buying the bike, what you said in your email yourself dawned on me - there simply isn't a bike out there like the GT. The Connie has great power, but lacks features that I consider imperative on the GT. My GT is my travel bike. Around town or on the weekends, I hop on the Gixxer or Duc most of the time. I keep the GT limber so she never sits for more than 2 weeks at a time, but honestly I use her for the long trips and there simply isn't (yet) another bike out there that will replace her for -my- touring needs (moderate weight, great power, acceptable comfort, great feature list, great handling).

So far, my only big issue has been the airbox related BS - with a new airbox (and new software coming sometime come hell or high water) I think I'm in the clear. It's a bit sad that my sense of relief in owning this great bike is associated with never having to see the representative dealer ever again, but I'm starting to find that it's not every single dealer in the network that treats us like used Huffy owners - just most of 'em.

All kidding aside, I do find myself pretty madly in love with my GT when she's gotten me someplace totally out of the way, off the beaten path. She feels like a true friend in those moments.

Then she'd high idle and I'd have to file divorce papers again.

(new airbox = new lease on life!)

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2008, 3:54 pm
Addict

I guess I'm lucky so far. 24K and no FD issues. No high idle. The throttle is a bit twitchy, but I found a little clutch helps ease that. I really do love my GT.

I several friends that own C14s and love them, too. Some have added the Audiovox cruise. One has even added heated grips. You can make the Connie and the FJR to be very similiar to the GT, but you have to like adding things that really don't look factory no matter how hard you try.

The one thing they cannot add is ESA. What a dream that is!

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2008, 3:58 pm
Veteran

Well I suppose these are really issues that you have to decide for yourself if they are worth keeping the bike or not. There do seem to be a higher percentage of this model with problems than other machines but truthfully I'm not sure that any one can put a realistic number on that percentage. Is it 1% or 10% or less than 1%? Also I'm not sure if it's because I only really follow what's going on with the BMW's and the GT in general. I'm sure other bikes have issues too. Remember, this machine has more stuff and technology to break. It's kind of the price we pay for having the best.

I will admit that at times I worry about having spent 20+ grand on a machine that might give me problems but so far, knock on wood, nothing has left me stranded. I've been on beemers for 12 years or so and have had nothing but good experience. I had the box replaced and got new software and it runs great.

Some dealers are great, mine is, some suck. Find another dealer if possible. BMWNA has always been professional to me but then again I've never had a real issue to deal with them. They just want to know if I'm satisfied or not.

Just got back from spending 10 days traveling around the west and the bike was flawless. There's nothing else like it for 1 up touring. The only thing that could make it better is an endless wallet supply and add a GS to the stable. Maybe next year.....on the GS, not the endless wallet!

Sorry for your problems dude. I'd be pissed too. Maybe get a different GT?

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2008, 5:03 pm

Hi idle 07 GT

I posted this yesterday on the "other" site. I'm not riding it again until they tell me what is wrong.

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=14692
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2008, 5:13 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophool
I posted this yesterday on the "other" site. I'm not riding it again until they tell me what is wrong.

I saw your post today and thought about your careening out of control. Good you were not hurt!

Your post is the reason that I posted this question over on this forum. I am really trying to love the bike, but need some help when it screws up and BMWNA is so lame.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2008, 5:14 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS
Fabulous bike when it runs and nothing available like it...BUT what a PITA!
Our expectations of a BMW product is quite a bit higher in the reliability department than what we're getting. Over the past 16 years I have purchased 6 BMW bikes, 5 different models. My expectations are much lower than they were 16 years ago. I believe BMW believes we will buy the features and just live with it.

If we could count on BMW keeping a design in prototype for 3 years with lots of time on the platform, we would get a relatively trouble free bike. However, BMW wants to keep us excited with performance and features. They only have so much engineering time, and I believe they have made some bad calls.

My bike is my daily commuter, and if I had suffered with these issues as some of you had, I think I would have had no choice except to go with another manufacturer with a better reputation. So far I've been lucky with my GT.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2008, 5:18 pm
Capn' Blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophool

JEBUS!!!!

Fer crying in the sink....

I hope they can tell you what happened and don't just shrug.

It makes me wonder about intent - the fact that they asked you if the bike went down as almost their first reaction. Of course it's good to be concerned, but it almost seems like the answer to that question dictates the seriousness of the reaction they provide. Did he go down? No? Well, okay then. Sucks, but okay. Did he go down? He did?! SHIT! Call the lawyer!

Sigh.

Hope they get you set up and explain what happened so the rest of us don't end up developing a post-new-airbox paranoia.

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2008, 11:36 pm
Rookie

Can you invoke the "Lemon Law""?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS
I am not posting this to stir up a huge debate, but am honestly asking the question. I have had a series of problems w/ this bike, and they just keep coming: ESA, TPM, final drive failure at 18k, dealer incompetence and poorly performed service, BMWNA's lack of response to issues, and now an apparently freak rear wheel 'casting flaw' which requires another warranty fight. I have spent a lot of time dealing w/ fixing issues and not out riding.

Yesterday I went and looked at the FJR and the C14, but what a sacrifice of features that would be. Thus I'm sitting here trying to come up w/ a story to tell myself that will reduce the cognitive dissonance and frustration. Especially from you guys who are still dealing w/ the BBS/HI issues on '06's....how do you put up with it? Fabulous bike when it runs and nothing available like it...BUT what a PITA!

Help me out here gang.
It is amazing what you are going through, maybe BMW can take the bike back and give you a new one for a few dollars? i have had a 2007 for 8000 miles w/o any problems at all. Sorry to hear about it -- amybe talk to N.America BMW?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2008, 11:53 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlander123
It is amazing what you are going through, maybe BMW can take the bike back and give you a new one for a few dollars? i have had a 2007 for 8000 miles w/o any problems at all. Sorry to hear about it -- amybe talk to N.America BMW?
I have 22K miles on this bike and have talked to BMWNA numerous times, but all to no avail since it is not one problem but a series of them. They do fix the issues, but they keep coming, they keep fixing them, but the down time is pushing me over the edge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode