My dealer went out of business and other local dealer is giving me problems - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 10:01 am Thread Starter

My dealer went out of business and other local dealer is giving me problems

Last September I bought my 07 GT. I called my dealer to schedule a 600 mile service, and I discovered they no longer sell BMW! They can do basic service, but nothing electronic.

So, I call another dealer nearby, and tell them I am needing a service appointment, and that I am having some abrupt throttle issues. First question he asks is "did you buy the bike from us". I told him no, it was bought from another dealer who no longer carries BMW. He then tells me that since I did not buy it from him, he will have to put a tech on the bike to verify if there is a problem, and he was reluctant to put too much time into that?

I ended the conversation by saying that this is a well doccumented issue, and I would be surprised if it were not immediately noticeable to his tech, and that regardless of where thebike was purchased...BMW should make it right.

Any tips on how to handle this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 10:56 am

Notify BMWNA. That's not acceptable.

I can see the dealer's possible point, if there isn't a problem then they have expended x hours of time for which you might be reluctant to pay. However, as a dealer they are responsible for providing service to BMW bikes, including warranty service which is what I suspect will be your case. For that they are compensated by BMW.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 11:07 am
Veteran

If I were the dealer I would have asked you why you have only put 600 miles on the bike in 8 months?

Just be nice to them and build a relationship with that dealer. Then worry about any issues you might have with the bike. They should be looking at it as a way of earning all the business from the other dealers loss.

As for notifying BMWNA I would only use that as a last resort. Last thing you want to do is take a hard line and piss them off. I would never want a disgruntled tech / employee / dealer working on my bike. Take the high road and let them know you'll be spending money with them in the future.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 11:34 am

8 mo., 600 mi.? I didn't even look at that! Wow, poor guy.

Robert, you are certainly more diplomatic than I and make a very strong point. A good relationship with the dealer is certainly important. I tend to get feisty about poor service because I was a field service engineer for 10 years and have developed high standards based on my own conduct.

That being said, a properly working GT won't garner the dealer a lot of service revenue. These bikes run forever with virtually no maintenance required. And if our man is only logging 1000 mi/yr...

Jeff
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 11:51 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
If I were the dealer I would have asked you why you have only put 600 miles on the bike in 8 months?

Just be nice to them and build a relationship with that dealer. Then worry about any issues you might have with the bike. They should be looking at it as a way of earning all the business from the other dealers loss.

As for notifying BMWNA I would only use that as a last resort. Last thing you want to do is take a hard line and piss them off. I would never want a disgruntled tech / employee / dealer working on my bike. Take the high road and let them know you'll be spending money with them in the future.

I have 1,300 on it. Not much better, but in my defense it was a brutal winter in Chicago this year.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 1:04 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng943
I have 1,300 on it. Not much better, but in my defense it was a brutal winter in Chicago this year.
Isn't every winter brutal in Chicago?

Signed,

A Southern Boy

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 1:55 pm
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W

Amen, to that. I purchased my bike from one dealer and mow I am using another dealer for the minor work done( warranty recall), but I became a good cusatomer by buying a suit and heated vest etc. When I had a possuble issue, they looked at it promptly even tho they were not going to make any money on that look see.
Cultivate your new dealer and you will be rewarded!!!!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 2:04 pm
Lieu

Quote:
You should have several options with dealerships in the Chicago area. I'm not sure which dealer you originally bought from that went out of business, but there is TAG in St. Charles, Motorwerks in Barrington, Chicago BMW, plus several more in the southern WI area. I would take your business elsewhere and make sure the "jerk" dealer knows he has lost the potential for future business.

Ken
Elgin, IL

2007 BMW K1200 GT
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCSE2 (totaled)
2005 Honda ST1300 (traded-in)
2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Standard (sold)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 2:29 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
I ended the conversation by saying that this is a well doccumented issue, and I would be surprised if it were not immediately noticeable to his tech, and that regardless of where thebike was purchased...BMW should make it right.

Any tips on how to handle this??
I would schedule the routine service, and take it from there. Be sure they document your report of throttle issues. If they update the software, the issue may just go away. If you experience high idle (different from nervous throttle, or BBS, but often associated), then call them and ask them to tow the bike in, as it isn't rideable in that condition (which I believe is a true statement).

High idle is a little more difficult to verify than nervous throttle, as it happens irregularly to most people, but the symptoms can not be interpreted as 'normal' behavior. Becuase this bike has 152 ponies, throtlle control is a little different than many other bikes, so the cause of nervous throttle is open to interpretation.

Be respectful, but persistent. Try not to show any frustration, no matter how maddening the situation, but don't go away, either. If they are sandbagging, just come back again and say it's still happening. If they don't respond after a few tries, go to a different dealer. If you show them a willingness to leave a few dollars at their dealership, they will have to regret not having kept you there.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 2:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconfire
You should have several options with dealerships in the Chicago area. I'm not sure which dealer you originally bought from that went out of business, but there is TAG in St. Charles, Motorwerks in Barrington, Chicago BMW, plus several more in the southern WI area. I would take your business elsewhere and make sure the "jerk" dealer knows he has lost the potential for future business.
Actually TAG is the dealer that no longer sells BMW. I may try Gina's in Iowa City.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode