cruise control question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 11:09 am Thread Starter

cruise control question

If you set (like in my case) your cruise to 78 and then get off the highway and you come to a complete stop go twenty miles sit and idle for a couple of minutes. Then you take off and you are in second gear going 25 is it possible to accidently hit the resume button... will the bike try and go back to 78? My bike has a problem and I don't want to try to see if this is possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 11:19 am

I would say it is possible, as long as the cruse and bike has remained turned on, the resume should remain active and waiting.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 11:35 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfjohn
I would say it is possible, as long as the cruse and bike has remained turned on, the resume should remain active and waiting.
I suppose it is. Has anyone tried this? I know it will do this on my cars but not sure on the bike as you have to shift and that will disengage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 11:44 am

Exclamation

Yes, is goes back to the last speed set as long as the engine has not been shut down or cruise turned off. Doesn't matter what gear your in.

What is your problem?

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 11:52 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncooper
Yes, is goes back to the last speed set as long as the engine has not been shut down or cruise turned off. Doesn't matter what gear your in.

What is your problem?

06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
The problem is what I posted in a thread below. I am wondering if in my panic I grabbed the throttle at the same time I grabbed the clutch??? I have been thinking about this all night long.

I had my airbox replaced 600 miles ago. I went for a little over 250 mile ride today. I was in the rain for about the last 80 miles. I was a quarter mile from home and my idle takes off while in 2nd gear and I am trying to control the bike. I squeezed the clutch and it goes over 7k going not before going from 25 to 50. Thank God there was no curb because I hit the brakes and found myself in the wet grass trying to keep it from going down. I did not have to shut the bike down as it calmed itself before scaring the shit out of me.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 1:02 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophool
The problem is what I posted in a thread below. I am wondering if in my panic I grabbed the throttle at the same time I grabbed the clutch??? I have been thinking about this all night long.

I had my airbox replaced 600 miles ago. I went for a little over 250 mile ride today. I was in the rain for about the last 80 miles. I was a quarter mile from home and my idle takes off while in 2nd gear and I am trying to control the bike. I squeezed the clutch and it goes over 7k going not before going from 25 to 50. Thank God there was no curb because I hit the brakes and found myself in the wet grass trying to keep it from going down. I did not have to shut the bike down as it calmed itself before scaring the shit out of me.
Good thinking. It is highly likely as I've bumped the cruise accidentally before, but without the fun you experienced.

Everytime I've gone down, or messed up, I kind of analyze it to death and eventually get an answer to learn from.

You could very easily bump the activation switch, especially if you had cold weather gloves on, and get the reaction you had on your bike.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 1:13 pm
Veteran

Quote:

Re-think your chain of events. When you pull in the clutch the cruise control SHOULD have dis-engaged instantly.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 1:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
Re-think your chain of events. When you pull in the clutch the cruise control SHOULD have dis-engaged instantly.
I am starting to think this one was totally my fault. If this was to happen again I hope I am much more prepared than I was because boy that girl took off. I was wearing the Gerbing winter gloves and I was so close to home that I was not paying attention like I should have been.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 1:43 pm

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
. When you pull in the clutch the cruise control SHOULD have dis-engaged instantly.
I will second that. The clutch and brakes all have switches that shut off the cruise.
In the old days I would advise to check your throttle cable routing. It could be pinched.

06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 2:00 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
I am starting to think this one was totally my fault. If this was to happen again I hope I am much more prepared than I was because boy that girl took off. I was wearing the Gerbing winter gloves and I was so close to home that I was not paying attention like I should have been.
Glad you posted this. I have been monitoring your posts on the other site. This is something I hadn't considered with this bike. A little bit of throttle goes a long way, and a resume while in 2nd gear will produce dramatic results. Think I'll try this in controlled (dry road and sober) conditions. Maybe we should put this in the sticky section.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode