Fuse panel relay? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 6:47 pm Thread Starter
Lieu

Fuse panel relay?

I am installing a Centech fuse panel which will be wired to the low beam. I believe I need a relay installed between the panel and the low beam. I will be using the panel to supply power for higher draw accessories such as heated clothes, aux. lights, etc. What relay (type and ratings) are you guys using? I am not much with electronics but I don't want to pay the $500 the dealer quoted me for wiring up my bike.

TIA

Ken
Elgin, IL

2007 BMW K1200 GT
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCSE2 (totaled)
2005 Honda ST1300 (traded-in)
2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Standard (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 7:05 pm

Relay from an Old Berekely Boy

I just wired my new RT with a Relay and Centech fuse block. Get a Bosch 30A, I use the wires from the rear Aux Plug. This gives me 30+ seconds of power once the Key is turned off.

Wire this way:
#85 & #86 power from the Aux Plug, or from the Right Parking Lamp. Your Choice
# 87 Power from the Battery, fused with a 30 amp fuse
# 30 to your Centech.
The inline fuse will protect your Relay and Centech, the fuses in the Centech will protect your (said items). My Heated clothes only draw 6.5amps, Zumo 3.5amps, Aux horn 9.8amps (when held for 10seconds). Even Motolights draw 5.1amps. Everything is protected by the Centech and down the road the 30amp fuse

Ron L
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 9:14 pm
Addict

Use the power from the Low Beam(yellow/white trace). The low beam is not hot until the engine is running. If you use the wire from the aux plug, the centech will be hot before the engine starts, and if you ever want to run aux lights, that would be to much draw for the battery alone, and the bike may not start.
If you give centech a call, they have a relay that is designed for their fuse block (50 amps). There are undoubtedly other relays that will work and some that will work but not for long , I don't know what the Bosh is designed for, so I can't advise you on that. I wouldn't use a horn relay, most of them aren't designed for constant current.
If you get the centech and the relay, we can help you hook it up. Heck, if you want to come to central Texas, I'll do it for you.

Last edited by JamesM; Apr 20th, 2008 at 9:20 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 9:42 pm Thread Starter
Lieu

Grounding options?

Thanks for the quick replies. I will be using the low beam for the fuse panel. I plan on using the accessory plug to power my zumo and autocom. Everything else will be off of the Centech.

One other question. Should I be running my ground wire all the way back to the neg. terminal of the battery, or can I just tie into the frame of the bike somewhere?
I ran across this item related to grounding for motorcycles. Anyone have any info on whether they would work on a K1200GT, and if they work as they claim with increase in HP?
Motorcycle Grounding Kit

Ken
Elgin, IL

2007 BMW K1200 GT
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 10:10 pm
Strafist

Run it to the ground on the battery. Modern BMW frames are famous for not being grounded well.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 10:17 pm Thread Starter
Lieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM
If you get the centech and the relay, we can help you hook it up. Heck, if you want to come to central Texas, I'll do it for you.
Heck, if you knew how much time I waste "teaching" myself how to do this stuff, the ride down to TX would be the wiser choice!
Would certainly be more fun!!!

Ken
Elgin, IL

2007 BMW K1200 GT
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2008, 10:20 am
Addict

As Grif said, run the ground to the battery. If you get the relay from centech, they supply a nice diagram, that is very easy to follow. They also supply the wire (10 ga.) and terminals to hook it up. If you have trouble finding access to the low beam lead (yellow/white trace), here is a pic that shows easy access under the right panel.
I forgot to mention, that centech now has two fuse panels, one of them all the circuits are connected together through fuses so that once power is supplied to the panel, all the circuits are "hot". The other fuse panel (newer model) the circuits are split, some will be hot all the time, and some won't be hot until the relay is activated. They didn't make this panel when I installed mine, so I installed two centechs and made one hot all the time and ran the other off the relay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lowbeam lead (2).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	7668  

Last edited by JamesM; Apr 21st, 2008 at 10:31 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode