New Air box Observations / Cruise Control - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2008, 8:44 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

New Air box Observations / Cruise Control

I have done about 8000km since I received the new air box and software upgrade. Most of you have probably seen my comments in various posts of the problems I have been having despite the upgrade.

For the first time in many months I was able to go for a 30km ride today at 110kph on the Freeway without the bike starting to high idle or the throttle becoming ridiculously sensitive. The only difference is that the temperature in Perth is cooling off (Autumn now)and today was 18 degrees C when I was riding. In fact, the bike is running beautifully with no backfiring, more power, smooth as silk etc, just like most of you Americans have been saying during your winter.

Ironically, I am taking it to the dealer on Wednesday for them to reset the the settings to zero to see if it will improve things because it has been so bad for the last couple of months. Apparently, all I had to do to fix it was to wait for cooler weather, unless something else has suddenly changed. Hopefully they are also going to check out my squealing clutch, although I don't hold out much hope of either problem being addressed properly.

On another issue following today's cruise control thread, I tried the resume function in low gears while on the Freeway and found that it accelerates very slowly in any gear with a noticeable delay, so there is no way anything dangerous happens using the resume function, just as others have reported.

However, I did notice one unnerving effect. When cruising with the CC on if one pulls in the clutch to deactivate the cruise control the engine will rev alarmingly. I found that as soon as the CC deactivates the throttle becomes active and then you find that your hand is suddenly holding the throttle open, even though it was in a neutral position and not opening the throttle while the CC was on. This could explain the sudden increase in revs when pulling in the clutch, even though you think you have zero throttle. I tried this several times and each time the same thing happened, even though I was careful to make sure I had zero throttle when deactivating the cruise control.

Anyway, back to the air box. I will be interested to see how you all go as the temperature warms up in the US. You may find that your new found smooth controllable bikes gradually revert to something more like what they used to be with the old air box. As I have said previously, I have had a few episodes of full high idle and other effects since I had the new air box. Hopefully I will at least get the bike running well for the winter if today is anything to go by.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2008, 12:01 pm
Addict

I was in the Big Bend area this last weekend, and had temps in the upper 90's on the way down. I had absolutely no problems at all, even after miles with the CC set on 85. I had one stretch (about 15 miles) where I was cruising at 110. . I put 1500 miles on the bike in 4 days and the bike performed flawlessly.
I have the same experience with the CC as you describe, that is why I use the brake to disengage it.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2008, 2:55 pm
Would rather be riding

CC disengagement

It sort of makes sense that if you just disengage the CC then the throttle goes back to manual control and, if you don't move your hand, would maintain the input for whatever speed you had. ...but it's pretty clear that the CC isn't just a throttle lock and doesn't behave like a servo on the throttle, e.g. you can't feel the CC inputs in your right hand. If you take your right hand away and pull the clutch, does the engine still rev high?

As an aside, I think the CC is pretty friggin' awesome. I've had throttle locks and a throttlemeister on other bikes and thought they were pretty useful, but this is my first experience with "real" CC on a bike.

I really like that you can give small throttle inputs even while the CC is active. I routinely use this to more quickly pass traffic and get out of blind spots while using the CC, or slow down a bit to make a safe lane change. I pretty much always use the CC on freeways, just to keep my speed down. (Is it just me, or does the bike seem to want to go about 100 all by itself??)

I don't think I've ever disengaged the CC with the clutch. Either I hit the brake or less frequently turn the throttle down enough so that the CC cuts out. (I think that's a really slick feature... disengage CC with engine braking only -- brilliant!)

I usually shut off the CC entirely when not using it. (The red light bugs me.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2008, 5:43 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Engine doesn't rev with hand off the throttle.

I never use the clutch to disengage cruise. I was just experimenting yesterday. I also think the cruise control is fantastic and also about as safe as BMW can make it so the high powered engine doesn't throw you off the bike.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2008, 9:21 pm
Addict-oholic

Yesterday after a 200 mile ride with a group of BMW riders out of danbury, CT, i dropped out of the group to super slab it home. Almost 100 miles on cruise control with some manual tweaking to pass. it works flawlessly! A wonderful day even though it was in the high 50's and gloomy cloudy weather. The leader of the group, a Bob Donato, showed us twisites and more twisties in Dutchess County, NY. Wh knew there are such great riding roads close to NYC?

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 7:38 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I shouldn't have posted about my bike running well yesterday. Today it high idled all the way to work and it was only 12 degrees C. Running perfectly on the way home at 20 degrees.

I will see if the dealer can do anything tomorrow.

Just for the record, I have no problem with the cruise control. It is brilliant and works flawlessly in my opinion. I was just pointing out a few things that might cause the engine to rev unexpectedly. On my bike at the moment it is usually the high idle problem.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:40 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Got version 11.? software installed on Wednesday.

Initial impression is that it has fixed all my problems but time will tell. The dealer is also finally acknowledging that I have a problem with the clutch squealing.

No sign of the any of the symptoms I was experiencing and the bike is incredibly smooth, just like you guys in the US have been saying. It is now smooth on over run for the first time since I bought it and doesn't sound like it is full of old bolts when slowing down. Don't know how a software change can do that.

Anyway, time will tell but so far it is great.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:19 pm

Thumbs up Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM
I was in the Big Bend area this last weekend, and had temps in the upper 90's on the way down. I had absolutely no problems at all, even after miles with the CC set on 85. I had one stretch (about 15 miles) where I was cruising at 110. . I put 1500 miles on the bike in 4 days and the bike performed flawlessly.
I have the same experience with the CC as you describe, that is why I use the brake to disengage it.
Bob,
I was in the same place same time as James. 35 degrees C. No problems! Almost 7000 miles (11,290 km) on new airbox no problems.
I sometimes use the clutch to disengage the CC, no over revs. Go figure?

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:35 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Norris,

When you use the clutch to cancel the CC you usually only tap it and won't let the engine rev. However, unless you have the throttle deliberately pushed forward a bit you will most likely find that the bike keeps going the same speed until you adjust your throttle because of what I was talking about.

To get it to rev a bit you have to fully disengage the clutch, which is not a normal way to ride and would not normally be done. I don't believe it is any sort of problem and depends on where you hold the throttle while on CC. However, it was just an observation of what can happen when using CC.

As I said, I reckon the cruise control is brilliant and very well thought out for a motorcycle. I don't have any complaints.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2008, 5:00 pm
I'm riding

Bob,

I had a chance to test the cruise control after software upgrade/new airbox. had exactly the same pic as you described - the engine revs(sometimes up to the redline) when I taped the clutch. Will visit the stealership. Also because brakepads alarm is on(36Kkm -will it be warranty replacement? ).

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode