Happy Earth Day Al Gore & Friends. Bite Me! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2008, 8:52 pm Thread Starter

Talking Happy Earth Day Al Gore & Friends. Bite Me!

I going to save the planet tomorrow by riding my GT, like I do almost every day.
Al, reduce your carbon footprint by parking those limos and jets and join me --- or hold your breath.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2008, 10:38 pm
Enthusiast

Right on...that's the attitude dude!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:27 am Thread Starter

Ok since I started this I will try to shed a little more light on my position.

I am not convinced that CO2 produced by human activity is a problem. The earth has warmed and cooled before people or oil!

I own a large ranch in the Flint Hills of Kansas. It suitable for only one type of agribusiness; cattle grazing. The top soil is only several inches deep, and then you hit rock and gravel. Grasses thrive in this ground but it is way to rocky to ever plow it and grow corn or wheat.
I have acres and acres of land sitting there scrubbing CO2 from the atmosphere while at the same time providing food for cattle. The Indians grazed bison on the very same lands.

Kansas has wind, plenty of it; we could be the Saudi Arabia of wind power!

Hereís the problem. Our governor and her ilk talk out of both sides of their mouths. They are all for wind power until it comes to putting them in one of the windiest places in the US. The Flint Hills. Itís the old not in my backyard syndrome. The Sierra Club, tree huggers, Luddites, and eco groups are against them there also. They will spoil the view! Many of these people have never even seen Kansas.

Letís get these wind turbines built and quit using sipping whiskey to power vehicles.

Save the gasoline for our BMWís!

Thanks to all who have responded.
Rant over!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 2:01 pm
Would rather be riding

ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncooper
They will spoil the view! Many of these people have never even seen Kansas.

Letís get these wind turbines built and quit using sipping whiskey to power vehicles.
Kansas... view...

+1 on wind power, and +10 on sipping whiskey.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 2:37 pm

Watch it Norris. Al will be out there to see if you have offsets for the methane the cows generate, in his SUV at 10 mpg.

Having visited Kansas some the only time the wind doesn't blow is when you are in the eye of a tornado.

Terry

2007 K1200 GT
1998 R1100 RT traded in
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 4:00 pm

I have a few questions and comments to add to the mix

Do you have children? I do not, catastrophoic climate change most likely wont affect me at all.

Are you willing to risk their future on say a 50-50 chance that we are not causing global warming, and do nothing to change our destructive ways?

We may have been able to continue our ways if not for the growing economies of China and India further contributing massive amounts of greenhouse gasses not just co2.

We have as a society poisioned our fisheries with mercury from coal burning powerplants. I live on the east coast, our rivers have "Do not eat the fish" warnings due to pollution. We have used our planet as a toilet for our industrial waste for far to long, it is time for real change and awareness from everyone in our society.

Cattle release methane gas, another greenhouse gas. Grass lands do not absorb methane.

I for one dont "celebrate" earth day but I do try to recycle, and conserve energy when I can by riding my K-bike to work and by using energy saving lights and appliances, small steps that I take to help our home survive our heavy footsteps. These things are easy and anyone can do them.

BTW I am 100% behind wind, tidal and solar power generation, I to want to keep riding
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 9:47 pm

Wind power ain't cheap, but it would very competitive if coal had to limit CO2 and mercury. Let's not forget that electricity can only be transmitted 300-400 miles. Get those New Yorkers to move to Kansas where we can power them. (Sorry Norris, I wouldn't normally wish New Yorkers on a fellow GT pilot).

My recommendation: nuclear. Never mind those ninnys who wank about the leftovers:
-Concerned about the low level waste traveling through your neighborhood? Think about how the high level fuel gets there now.
-Concerned about waste vessels leaking after 10,000 years? Repackage at 9,000.
-Concerned about forgetting where we buried thousands of tons of nuclear waste? Get a clue.

The big problem: population growth is on an exponential upward curve. More people turning and burning means more congestion and faster resource consumption. I can't advocate population control as a policy, but if you have 13 kids you might want to consider the bigger picture.

Al, how many carbon credits do I get for a vasectomy while single and no kids?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 9:58 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up That's what I call taking one for the team !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJeff
Al, how many carbon credits do I get for a vasectomy while single and no kids?
Ouch!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:16 pm
Veteran

I'm all for Nuclear. It could be a good thing. There is a question as to how much supply of nuclear fuel is readily available though. At current rates of consumption it isn't very long. Something like 50 to 75 years I think I've read. Maybe we'd find more, but like oil, it's a finite supply. Fusion on the other hand could be the key. That's the kind of thing we need to be giving tax credits too.

And as far as spent fuel storage, put it in Yucca Mt! Man it irks me that because of political BS they suspended that project. Any of you guys that have ever ridden through Nevada know that there's absolutely NO reason not to use it. There's nothing there. No water, no faults, no people....zero zip nada. Put it in the hole and forget about it. It's not going anywhere.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:14 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
I'm all for Nuclear. ....There's nothing there. No water, no faults, no people....zero zip nada. Put it in the hole and forget about it. It's not going anywhere.
Hate to inform you, but Nevada is very fault prone.

The area around Wells, NV has been a mess of activity lately.

Shook up the local brothels and their mongers too.
hmmm.... Maybe I need to spend my gubermint rebate check
there to help out the local economy?

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode