The Other (rant) Side of Earth Day. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:44 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Lightbulb The Other (rant) Side of Earth Day.

Well Cooper, (and others) bought my wife a Prius several months ago. It's a fantastic car. In every respect. She loves it and is very happy. And when the misses is happy life is good. I figure it makes up for my F350 and Tundra Double Cab. I even got to drive it....once. She drives 90% of the miles in the family.

Oh yeah, it gets better mileage than my GT! (Needed to mention the GT since this is the GT Forum.)

If they made something that got better mileage and could do my work, I would buy it in a heartbeat. My house is as eco friendly as I could build it within my budget, I built most of it myself, I grow my own fruit and vegetables, hunt for meat in my freezer, heat with wood I cut and split myself. I utilize solar and I'm working on a hydro system for my house.....Etc etc etc. I invest in renewables and other eco friendly stocks, but not oil. (Though lately it's been REAL hard not too.) I have stock piles of food...........and a lot of ammo.

I long ago gave up on trying to debate people on climate change. (This is a rare exception and more of a statement.) Bottom line is that man kind is a scourge on this planet. 9.2 billion people by 2050 at current rates. There weren't 1 billion in 1800 or 2 billion in 1900. But 6.6 billion now. (No, I have no children.)

This country and others could and should be doing a shit load more than what we are currently when it comes to renewable energy. Al Gore on his plane? Give me a break. No I'm not a democrat or republican. The 2 party system failed us long ago. Though the majority are too clueless to see it. How about the 3 jokes for candidates we have now. Hardly a word about the environment, population growth or energy policy out of any of them. (In my mind the most important issues out there, because unless we get those figured out, the rest is secondary.) Bet their campaigns aren't burning too much oil though huh? I am stupefied that we as a country continue to allow our political system to operate the way that it does. But as long as the TV and corporate media play it, we buy it. I mean 20+ years of Bush's and Clintons? WTF? And now maybe another one? Or a guy with zero experience in anything...or a guy that's so a part of the system that he might as well be mortared into the capital building. But one of them will save us I'm sure!

And then there's the 10's of billions of dollars that we continue to "subsidize" big oil with out of the tax payer dollar. Damn, bet those corporations couldn't make it with out our tax dollars! Guess that 123 billion in profit last year wasn't enough. Oh, but when a renewable energy tax credit bill is put before that house and Senate, it's shot down because a 30% tax break for installing and developing renewable energy.......that would create jobs and help save the environment.....is too much. It might just raise the deficit because God knows our bloated pig of a federal gov't has got to have every last penny they can squeeze out of any one or anything. Anything but their big oil and corporate fat cat buddies anyway. (Screw the lobbyist and trial lawyers.) So the rest of us bend over and grab our ankles.....without KY! Germany has employed a similar system of renewable tax credits with phenomenal results. Revenue growth from development, job creation, cleaner environment etc etc. And they are well on their way to energy freedom. Renewable energy. There's no reason other than the fact that we keep feeding the big corporate oil pig and our worthless representatives that we couldn't be doing the same thing and a lot more.

We consume 25% of the worlds energy, but have about 5% of it's population. China and India are growing fast into serious economic powerhouses. Already their demand is out pacing supply. And don't give me the argument of "well they aren't doing it why should we?" I've heard that SOOO many times. Sounds like 10 year olds on a playground. We should be ashamed that we aren't taking the lead on these issues. Meanwhile, others are and we're missing the boat, and financials, BIG TIME!

I'm not anti fossil fuel either, we can with existing technologies continue to use what we have and do it in a much cleaner way. Coal for example can be burned and the CO2 sequestered underground in the very holes that we've pumped all the oil and gas out of. We can do that right now. Today. But currently it means that the plants will only be 70 to 75% efficient. However within a very short period of time that would change as we learned how to make it more efficient. We have enough coal in this country to supply our energy needs for 100's of years, and since roughly 2/3rds of our electric now comes from coal, and it's a major source of C02 this would seem to make much sense. However we aren't doing it. Because it all goes back once again to the almighty dollar, got to have it now, and screw the environment.

The technology exists today that we could with enough social / political will be completely energy independent by mid century, with more than 75% of that renewable. However it would take a complete change of mindset, something akin to the Apollo Era to archive this and I don't see that happening. As long as we've got our cell phones and lattes life is good. Who cares about the future....I want what I want now!

There are things that could drive us in that direction however I don't believe any of them will happen soon enough to offset the damage already done. War, famine, financial melt down, disease, etc etc.....all those things and more are already out there on the horizon and happening to a greater degree and with more regularity than in the past. We are truly in a Global market and economy now and things that happen in Iraq, Nigeria, China or Timbuktu effect us. When we entered Irag 5 years ago oil was $35 a barrel. Today it's $120. And we spend 10 billion + a month there! Wow! All that and more expensive oil too?! What a pile of horse shit! More please....may I have more?

As much as I don't want to see bad things happen there is a very cynical part of me that thinks it takes major catastrophes in order for humans to wake up. So if the glaciers, Greenland or Antarctica melt and NY and Florida are underwater. No problem. Bangladesh and India? Oh well, never liked them much anyway. Millions die of famine, well, probably shouldn't have had those kids if you couldn't feed them. A good plague? Cool, I can pick off the mutants as they come down my road! My AR needs a good work out. I truly believe that $10 a gallon gas would be a benefit. It would force a change.

We have destroyed species at an alarming rate. Habitat continues to be obliterated in the name of the all mighty dollar, or Euro now since we've done such a wonderful job as a nation taking care of our monetary system. Fisheries have been and continue to be decimated. And on and on. But hey.....I got my Xbox! And screw you!

The people of this country, and many others, have become such mind numbed lemmings and sheeple that I don't know whether or not to laugh or cry. There is very little cogent though and even less quality education. Most of the time I just hang my head in shame at what we have devolved into.

We are all hell bent on destruction because the vast majority of mankind is unwilling to see beyond their arrogant self centered ignorant egotistical narcissistic got to have it now ways. However in the long run the planet will survive. In all likelihood we will destroy ourselves in but a blip of geologic time. Nature has it's ways of cleaning house.

Do I think climate change and population growth will have a dramatic effect on my remaining years. To some degree yes. It already is. I worry a lot more 50 to 100 years down the road though. I fear greatly for our future generations in oh so many ways.

And before you go off telling me to give up my car and live in a commune with leather flip flops and hemp clothes, remember, I believe we can all continue to live very comfortable lives without the damaging side effects. Or at least minimized to a much greater degree. Am I willing to give up my truck? Yes, if there were a better product, absolutely. Give me something that gets better mileage and I'll buy it. Same with a bike. Until then I will continue to do as much as possible, within my power and without becoming a hermit, not to contribute to the decline.

Call me a pessimist, isolationist, what have you.....I don't hug trees, I'm not anti logging or mining .....yada yada. I believe in responsibility in all aspects of life........but I have very little faith in humanity today. However I do hold onto a glimmer of hope that we will wake up and take on these changes some day. The survival of future generations depends on it.

If in todays society, with all the info and science available, some one still doesn't believe that we as a species are causing great harm to our planet.....and we only have one.....then they are either lying to themselves, or a complete idiot incapable of rational thought.

End rant......the other side of Earth Day.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Last edited by Robert_W; Apr 23rd, 2008 at 12:52 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 1:03 am
Veteran

Yeah. I got one of them Prius things too. Not because I'm an eco-nut, just wanted it because it was super high-tech (I got the GPS and yackity-yack one that talks back at you). Besides, it's sort of like driving a H-P golf cart. Scares the crap out of people in the parking lot as I can creep up on them and they never hear me coming. Wait 'til you add the Goodyear quiet tires (ergo, Comfort Treads). Then the car gets "spooky quiet."

You are right that it gets better mileage than the GT - and I paid more for the GT too since I got the extended warranty and all the dealer-added farkles. Never has cost me more than $100 at the dealer for service, unlike the GT which costs that just for one tire that I change myself every 3K miles and I won't mention an oil change cost by them.

Mack
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 1:58 am
Telepathetic

And your solutions are?

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 8:03 am
Enthusiast

I am a tradtional hunter, that is I hunt with a bow that I built myself, longbow or recurve, I have several. I get depressed everytime I go hunting, so much so I didn't go last year at all. The woods are full of trash, WTF. People take in all kinds of junk and just toss it, of course it is worse where they park and get into their ATVs.

I am 62 and still walk in and walk out, both for whitetail and elk hunts. NO ATV in this household, I hate those lazy machines. But like Robert said, we must have it now can't wait, so get a big ATV and go blasting right to your tree stand and the blast right back to your truck after running all over the woods. The ATV users have ruined hunting for me and many others, they should be outlawed in the woods, but then everyone would have to get into shape and start walking again, not going to happen.

I love to play golf, played in a tourney yesterday, about 45 players, I was the only one walking pulling my golf cart, WTF. Oh, money driven? We all paid the same, 1/2 cart, lunch, range balls, I get no discount because I don't use a cart, yeah money driven.

The wilderness is supposed to be wild, what you take in you take out, every year I go elk hunting I find trash, not as much as when whitetail hunting back home but still, WTF.

I to am ashamed of us lazy wasting Americans, we should be setting the standard especially in our own environment.

Oh, are we changing the earth, you better believe it, just ask any hunter that has been hunting 30 years, they will tell you how we are changing the environment! It is not about Gore, it is about planet earth, wakeup and do a little part. When I go hunting I feel like a trash collector. When I walk my llamas around the 4 mile block to get in shape for elk hunts, I feel like I should be pulling a trash cart to pick up the ditches, and this is my neighborhood, people don't even care about their home street!!!

Solutions? Take responsibility for your actions. You have trash, it is yours deal with it correctly. GET IN SHAPE, damn, it is not that hard to walk but it is if you never do it. YOU EAT TOO MUCH, quit eating so damn much junk, do some exercise, I might need your help next time I kill an elk.

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)

Last edited by dhanson; Apr 23rd, 2008 at 8:56 am.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 8:42 am
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Any chance there's a Cliff Notes version of this ?

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:10 am Thread Starter
Veteran

dhanson, couldn't agree more. I'm in the woods more than a month every year both deer and elk. ATV's drive me nuts. Do they have there place? Yup, but it isn't so every lazy fat assed bubba can bring his out of shape chew spitting self into the woods....and drive the herd that he never sees over the next range.

"shook sez Any chance there's a Cliff Notes version of this ?"

If you are serious......you are so proving my point.

"slowflyn And your solutions are?"

Well, if you actually read through what I wrote you'd see where I mentioned several. I don't pretend to be a scientific prophet, but real black and white proven technologies that could be implemented right now....that would not only be environmentally helpful but also profitable for the people of this country and beyond, make a lot of sense to me

Mack, I can't sing the praises enough about this car. It's got plenty of room, as much oomph and passing power as my V8 Tundra....in the winter I put studded tires on it and it goes as good as the 4x4 and still gets mid 40's mpg with studded tires. My wife puts on about 70 miles a day commuting. I did the math when we bought it and compared to her last rig, Ford Explorer at 13 mpg, this thing will pay for itself in about 4 years.

It really makes you more aware too. Just owning one. 2 weeks ago touring on the bike I had a few times going through both CA and then Salt Lake on the interstates where there was an HOV lane. I was on the bike cruising right by endless single occupancy SUV's and cars. But they all had there Starbucks and Cell phones to yack on while stuck in traffic! Just hard to believe really.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:07 am
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W

"shook sez Any chance there's a Cliff Notes version of this ?"

If you are serious......you are so proving my point.
There was a point ?? Must've missed that.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:42 am

Thumbs up Robert we are on the same page. & did you get a Sargent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Well Cooper, (and others) bought my wife a Prius several months ago. It's a fantastic car. In every respect. She loves it and is very happy. And when the misses is happy life is good. I figure it makes up for my F350 and Tundra Double Cab. Edit-edit- edit (for green reasons!).
Well Robert,
Read my trip report on my recent ride to the Big Bend. I like the Prius also, but not the driver plugging along on a very busy Interstate. I rent one of these when I was in Scottsdale in January, for a premium I might add. Great car especially in traffic jams. 51 mpg drove it like I stole it. It didn't handle very well in the mountains or high wind in spite of it's aerodynamic looking shape. Don't think it would do to well at passing a cattle truck on a Kansas two lane with a 40mph headwind. Passing with the GT in fun fun fun! Plenty of head room for my 6'3" frame with out a cowboy hat. The jury is still out on long term price of ownership. To sum this part up: If I lived in a big city it would be very tempting to own a Prius but I would still rather drive my GT.
I am a cattle rancher with 3200 head of cattle on my place and 2500 on my sister's ranch.
These are hilly, rocky, rough ranches. I need a truck and I need to pull a trailer once in a while, please forgive because I also have an ATV- Honda 680 Rincon. My to -the- ranch driver is a 2000 Chevy ZR-2 Blazer. This thing was made to order for my ranch needs. 16-18 mpg sucks but I only use it several times a week.
I can walk to my office-basement and most of my running around is done via GT or RS, both of which have cats, but their emissions are still more than a modern auto! The auto companies have not built a direct replacement for my truck, and if they did how much energy would be expended to build me a new truck.
My wife an I built a new house last year. About as "green" as we could justify I used CF's because I liked the light quality and I don't have to change them every few months!. However some things just don't make good economic sense.
Yes we use 25% of the energy because our GDP is about 25% of the world's GDP. My son works for an oil company, please tell me more about these subsidizes so I can give him a heads up (off list please). I own some oil and gas production and I pay taxes out the ass. Many of us own big oil stock, almost anyone can, some do and don't even know it.
In Kansas it is difficult to get wind turbines permitted and built, we could be the Saudi Arabia of the USA. My father in law (now dead) was a lobbyist (for the coal industry), trial lawyer, politican (as I have been also, not professional), FBI agent and spy, I kid you not. He taught me much about the coal industry. It can be cleaned up and we have a bunch of it. China is shitting in it's own nest, we all know that, something will have to change there.

I am a conservative. Root of that word is conserve. Not a once a year "Earth Day" conservative! Nuff said.

Summation: I don't like politicians pissing on my boots and tell me it's raining!
Over and out on this subject, AT LAST, until next Earth Day.

BMW GT CONTENT:
Did you get a Sargent seat, if so did you like it?

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:46 pm
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanson
The woods are full of trash, WTF. People take in all kinds of junk and just toss it,

The wilderness is supposed to be wild, what you take in you take out, every year I go elk hunting I find trash, not as much as when whitetail hunting back home but still, WTF.

I feel like I should be pulling a trash cart to pick up the ditches, and this is my neighborhood, people don't even care about their home street!!!

Solutions? Take responsibility for your actions. You have trash, it is yours deal with it correctly. GET IN SHAPE, damn, it is not that hard to walk but it is if you never do it. YOU EAT TOO MUCH, quit eating so damn much junk, do some exercise, I might need your help next time I kill an elk.
+1 Same sh$t here.
WTF - globalisation?

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 1:02 pm

Your Rant

Robert,
Thanks for the well written story. My head is not in the sand and I agree with most of what you said.

Brian Ley
2007 GT
2010 650GS
2000 LT sold but not forgotten

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode