BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Closer pics from K1200GT

8K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  halo99 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3 ·
Handlebars

Notice that the bar mounting allows for no adjustment at all. There's no telling how many adjustment kits the Pirate has sold to K1200RS/GT owners indicating the need for that feature, and now it starts all over once again.

Fact is, it's difficult to imagine how an aftermarket supplier could even produce something that would work. Honest to god, you really have to wonder about the little doo-fahs at BMW that come up with irrational ideas like this one.

Check those instrument needles and dials (poor copies of those on my 1963 Corvette), they're not any more attractive than the swayback bars.

#7 ·
Opportunity

LOCUS said:
Guys, dont be negative, The Handlebars could be 'serated' as on RS ..and by this adjustable.....possibility to 'pull-up'....and fasten.
And if they aren't, whatta opportunity for Pirate to find a tame machinist to make such a piece. Only problem - to be sanitary, the entire bar needs to be machined and that's most prolly sumbucks.

But on thinking more, seems most likely BMW has already done exactly that - why else have those two pieces joined by hex-head screws? Guess Pirate and his machinist will have to provide angle adjustment and possibly width options.

#8 ·
Is that a blue bike there?

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. From all the pics at the Milan show, seems like they're always of a graphite colored K1200GT. From these pics, looks like a blue bike in a couple of the pics. Are my eyes deceiving me or doya think they have 2 bikes at the show?

btw: this is my first post on the board. been lurking here for a few weeks now. I have an R1150R and drooling over the possibility to own a new K12GT! Great info and enthusiasm on this board!

#9 ·
Some of you even missed a Radio-option....take a close look at the right fairing top..that is a 'lockable-compartment'..you see there. And it should be fully possible to add a 'lockable-radio-compartment' as well. Don't you agree???

Great Pictures Michael, thanks

#10 ·
Yes, I completely did. Please let me be wrong...this is looking more and more like that ugly ass Honda ST1300's

LOCUS said:
Some of you even missed a Radio-option....take a close look at the right fairing top..that is a 'lockable-compartment'..you see there. And it should be fully possible to add a 'lockable-radio-compartment' as well. Don't you agree???

Great Pictures Michael, thanks

Attachments

#11 ·
K_Biker_Bill said:
Notice that the bar mounting allows for no adjustment at all. There's no telling how many adjustment kits the Pirate has sold to K1200RS/GT owners indicating the need for that feature, and now it starts all over once again.

Fact is, it's difficult to imagine how an aftermarket supplier could even produce something that would work. Honest to god, you really have to wonder about the little doo-fahs at BMW that come up with irrational ideas like this one.

Check those instrument needles and dials (poor copies of those on my 1963 Corvette), they're not any more attractive than the swayback bars.
As for the instruments, I think they are just plain absurd! They remind ME of my father's old '53 Chevrolet! I do like the rest of the bike, but the instruments stick out like a sore thumb! A retro instrument panel stuck on an otherwise super-modern bike design? What next... a fishtail muffler???

The point made about the non-adjustable bars, misses the mark. The entire reason for all those aftermarket companies selling the barbacks for the Old K1200GT, was that they were quite clearly in the wrong position for a touring bike, by most opinions. This was noted in nearly every review of the bike. Looking at the photo of the 2-up riders on the blue bike it is clear that the bar postion is pretty nearly optimum (for a tourer) to begin with. Thus the need for changing bar position may have disappeared.

Bob.

#13 ·
Michael,

Thanks for the close-up and detailed pictures of the new GT. Perfect timing on these more detailed pictures after seeing the bigger pictures from the Milan show.

The first two pictures in your album show that two-up couple that some said made the motorcycle look big. But on page two of your album there's a picture of a big guy on the bike that shows the bike to actually look smaller than the two-up shot.

Also, the picture on page two of the big guy taken slightly above him sitting on the bike shows that BMW went to school on the riding postion, giving that rider, at least, a very standard, up-right riding position; perfect for a sport-tourer, imo.

Thanks again, Michael.

Miles

#14 ·
It's nice in pictures. It will sure to make a difference in the flesh. We'll just have to see and sit on one.

#15 ·
Check those instrument needles and dials (poor copies of those on my 1963 Corvette), they're not any more attractive than the swayback bars.[/QUOTE]

Hey, you have a '63 Corvette; pretty cool. Hate to admit this, I owned a '65 corvette in 1965! Traded it on a Mooney Mk 21 airplane a few years later.

I have to disagree with you on principle; though. The '65 corvettee instruments are far nicer than the instruments in the new Corvette; you know, the game-boy approach.

2nd, the RID between the tach and the speedo is very high-tech with lots of information never dreamed of in a l963 anything.

3rd, the hooded binnicles over the speedo and tach give these read-outs a recessed and modern look.

4th, looking at the graphics and the colors chosen by BMW for the speedo and tach, it seems to me they were looking to match the readouts in their navigator GPS. Red dials, grey background and clear digits.

And, the bars are slim-line, and have a subtle gull-wing look to them - nice.

Miles

#18 ·
Got Risers?

K_Biker_Bill said:
Notice that the bar mounting allows for no adjustment at all. There's no telling how many adjustment kits the Pirate has sold to K1200RS/GT owners QUOTE]

If I had a dollar for every riser kit we sold for the GT guys...Amber and I would be vacationing in Tahiti... Dohh!! I have to admit.. no matter how high BMW makes the stock bars on ANY bike.. 30% of the American population will want them higher..

I agree.. This must be an early version as I see no method of adjustability either... and if you'll also notice.. the cables don't look like they have any excess length to play with..

It's nothing I want to attack. but I appreciate everyone dropping the chore onto my back.. I'll take that as a compliment..

#19 ·
Hey Jerry,

Aren't these missteps by BMW just the reason you exist? LOL!!!

#20 ·
Good point, ElJeffe... although my mother says I exist solely because she and my dad got drunk one night early in their relationship and....

Missteps?? Ask them and they'll tell you .. "zer are no German mizzsteps."

eljeffe said:
Hey Jerry,

Aren't these missteps by BMW just the reason you exist? LOL!!!

#21 ·
Missteps. Did I say missteps? I mean oversights.

#22 ·
Whew, I'm safe!

No new GT for me. They made it too touring oriented. I love my current GT. The smaller left saddlebag never bothered me on any of my longer trips, one-up or two-up. A tankbag suits my storage needs, so I don't need a fairing compartment. The ergos are perfect for me, never wanted bar backs or lowered footpegs. The side view of the new GT reminds me of the venerable Kawasaki Concours.

I wouldn't mind the ESA suspension, or the extra torque and power, but I've already gotten into enough ticket trouble with the current 130HP GT as it is.

Now, the new R1200GS Adventure, that could be worth putting a dent into my wallet.

#23 ·
It would be interesting to see some pix of the bike without the bags.

No compelling reason to move to this bike from the current GT, other than a bit more HP and one larger side bag. The looks are a subjective thing, some people prefer the looks of the current GT and vice versa. Based on the posts so far I'd say at least 1/2 the current GT/RS owners prefer the looks of the current machine.

I suspect the target market isn't current GT owners anyway, rather riders that might be considering the FJR, ST1300 or similar bike.

The new R1200S must be pretty quick, faster than the GT perhaps - 120 HP and 418 lbs, only 35 HP less then the GT but the GT is probably 200 lbs heavier.

#25 ·
Bar adjustments, maybe.

Nice Pics! The photo of the white? GT with t he riders sitting on the ground on the right side of the photo is a clipped Official BMW press photo released.a few days ago.

According to the info in the press release the bars and seat are adjustable, they just say to much specifically on how much or how they work.

My take on what might be possible...

The bars looks like they don't sit flush to the part they mount to which could indicate a serration mount area. Also there appears to be sufficient space to slide the bars up and retighten the assemble. That and the fact the grip assemble look like they are removable with just two screws could indicate that the grips can be rotated for adjustment.

Now the bars could just be removable for an "Optional size" part to move the grips up or down. After all the RT has an optional seat to lower the pilots position so BMW might have taken this trend to the bars. I would hope not since that would be a royal pain.

I have attached the text from the press release that gives the general speil the on GT.

I want to see and RIDE it!

No decisions until then for me.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.