2006 46 19.57%
2007 104 44.26%
2008 43 18.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2008, 6:58 pm Thread Starter
Strafist

EWS Failure Poll

Has your bike suffered the mind numbing, ass stranding, EWS failure?

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2008, 1:25 am

EWS failure two times, seven months apart. No parts replaced first time, due to not being in the affected VIN. Dealer said the antenna ring did not cure the problem. I think since they did not have my extra key they really could not test the new ring. See below for why.

The second time the ring really did fail. I tried maybe 50 times to get it to work. It finally worked on the 51 time, and i got home ok. Luckily I opened the fuel cap just in case the key worked. I immediately shut the bike off and back on when I got home and it showed EWS again.

I asked the dealer for a new ring before I moved the bike out of my garage. Thankfully he obliged, so I got to mess around with the old and new rings.

First I found the key had to be inside the ring for positive recognition. Hence you almost have to have a second key to use a spare ring. Some people have said you can just hold it next to the key in the ignition switch. I found that to not be true.

Second when I was stranded, I tried 25 plus times, then had lunch, tried 4 or 5 times, had beer, tried 25 more times, no joy... I gave up called AAA, had beer, tried 3 or 4 times, IT WORKED!!!! After I was home, the ring started recognizing the key approximately 50% of the time.

The bike had about 1500 miles on it the first time, and 5000 miles the second time.

Probably the most information on EWS is found at ADVrider.com here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245456

Information is a good thing. I have found this forum to be very accurate with potential problems. I have the clutch noise problem and brake pad light too, but I'm not worried because i know you all are keeping us in the know.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2008, 2:11 am
Noob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2008, 1:31 pm
Addict

The EWS failure only happens on mine when the battery has been disconnected. Once I reconnect the battery and turn the ignition on, I get EWS, when I switch the ignition off and then back on, all seems to be fine. This has happened every time, I disconnect the battery since the airbox/software upgrade.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2008, 6:31 pm

Two failures in two months

The EWS on my 2007 K12R Sport failed two months ago and I had to have it towed to my local dealer. They installed a new ring. I put about a thousand miles on it with no problems before it failed again today. Once again, had to have it towed to the dealer.

This is ruining my confidence in the bike.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2008, 7:41 pm
Addict

I'm wondering if something on the bike is causing the rings to fail. I have heard of several owners with more than one ring failure.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 6:55 pm
Noob

My 2007 GT just had it's second antenna ring/EWS failure today. After getting the tow started to my location, I continued to periodically try and start the machine. On about the dozenth try it completed the start up cycle and the engined turned over. I was in West Sacramento, so I rode directly to A & S in Roseville, where I bought the bike. The service manager said they are now on their 5th generation of these rings. He pulled his last one for me, but said it wouldn't be ready until tomorrow. It was close to being due for its 12K service, so I'll get that done as well and pick it up on my next set of days off.

Boy was I pissed about this earlier today-- I was ready to tell A & S just sell the thing on consignment. But I calmed down, and realized that's not financially smart. Let the warranty fix it again, and I'll ride it for a while longer I figured. But, I really can't say how long I will have this bike, I'm not happy with it, and it will not remain in my stable. When it is replaced it will be with another brand.

Tom Lashbrook #8322
Napa, CA
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2008, 3:39 pm

I would really like the get one of these bikes but I was rolling over some numbers in my head. I know that here in the US, Yamaha sells a lot more FJRs that BMW sells KGTs but there are probably three of four times more one and two year old KGTs for sale than the same FJRs. The only thing I can see is that for whatever reason FJR owners are keeping their bikes and KGT owners are not. That's not inspiring confidence.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2008, 6:10 pm

Red face No EWS failure for me- but I only have 32,890 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird
I know that here in the US, Yamaha sells a lot more FJRs that BMW sells KGTs but there are probably three of four times more one and two year old KGTs for sale than the same FJRs. The only thing I can see is that for whatever reason FJR owners are keeping their bikes and KGT owners are not.
Bird,
How do you know that there are more FJR's sold here? Since there are more Yamaha dealers one could conclude that there are more FJR's sold but I have never seen any real numbers.
I don't see very many FJR's on the road, at dealers, or anywhere, ST1300 either.

I am keeping my GT because I am still waiting for my to EWS fail.

I have driven mine about as far away from the BMW dealer network in the lower 48 as I could. I was even 80 miles from cell phone service. Didn't bother me one bit.
I don't think the GT is the bike for you.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2008, 6:13 pm
IBR# 366

If that's accurate and not just an assumption based on a very small data sample, then I think that's a gross simplification of a much more complicated scenario. If it helps you to justify buying an FJR over a GT, that's fine.

We got a lot of questions such as "which bike is best for me?" or "why should I spend $$ more to get the GT over the FJR, C14, or ST13?". We don't know your financial situation, experience level, or which bike is gonna feel best to you. That's why you gotta ride them all, then justify your own wants and needs with your own budget. No one here can do that for you.

I looked at them all, then bought the bike that works best for me. In the end, that's the best that any of us can hope for.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode