Any tools under passenger seat? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2008, 10:46 am Thread Starter
Addict

Any tools under passenger seat?

Found a rubber belt under the passenger seat obviously ment to keep in place the tools. Do you have those tools on the bike? I don't.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2008, 10:56 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Nope. You should have two torx wrenches snapped into a place back there, but that's it. I've heard two stories and don't know which is true: (1) There is a tool kit you can buy to put in that place with the rubber strap, and (2) That strap is to hold a roll of paperwork and an owner's manual. Personally, what I think happened is that the box/strap was designed for a tool kit which they decided to leave out.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2008, 11:02 am Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
Nope. You should have two torx wrenches snapped into a place back there, but that's it. I've heard two stories and don't know which is true: (1) There is a tool kit you can buy to put in that place with the rubber strap, and (2) That strap is to hold a roll of paperwork and an owner's manual. Personally, what I think happened is that the box/strap was designed for a tool kit which they decided to leave out.
thanks, i have that tool kit, very nice, it includes torx and 22mm wrench to take out front wheel, expensive though. there is also a cheaper version of the tool kit. got it for the gs and will keep it.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2008, 2:50 pm
Addict-oholic

The rubber belt is to hold an afetermarket tool kit or the manual. I elected to keep my old toolkit from my KRS when I sold it. I placed it in the rubber thingy. No need for a toolkit on this bike as it never needs service and when it does, no toolkit on the bike will fix what is in need of service.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2008, 12:07 pm
Veteran

In addition to the two L-shaped Torx wrenches, my K1200GT came with a cheap screwdriver on the left side. It has a yellow plastic handle with a reversible phillips/flat blade.

The dealer used the rubber straps to hold the user manual under the seat. I put it in a ziploc freezer bag (for weather proofing and long life), and keep it there.

I bought a K1200S toolkit from Chicago BMW. It is WAY overpriced. I haven't tried to see if it will fit under the seat. When I do, I'll let you know.

See this thread:

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=5060
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2008, 12:21 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

I went to my local dealership yesterday and looked at the optional tool kit. I was pretty underwhelmed and didn't buy it. I kick myself all the time that I didn't keep the tool kit which was in my R100/7 back in the old days... although maybe the valve adjustment guage would have been useless. It even came with an embroidered BMW shop rag.

I'm considering looking around for a first aid kit which will fill that spot and use the rubber strap to tie it down.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2008, 1:30 pm Thread Starter
Addict

there are several tool kits, i have the service kit. good quality and very small. never used it - hahaha
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...81&hg=71&fg=05

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2008, 2:24 pm
Would rather be riding

Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doru-in-Romania
Found a rubber belt under the passenger seat obviously ment to keep in place the tools.
I can't imagine a tool kit that would fit in that space, it's not very high -- the seat comes down right on top of it. When I brought the bike home the manual was there, I got a waterproof bag and added my registration and insurance and keep it there.

I had the same thought about tools, looked at the factory additional tools and thought it was a lot of money for not so much. I ended up getting a metric Cruz Tools set and supplementing it with a couple of wrenches and a torx driver set. It doesn't fit under the seat though -- I crammed a cargo net, some duct tape, and a flashlight under there but nothing else would fit. [I figure the cargo net is a good thing to go under the seat for those times when you buy something on impulse and forget you don't have the bags on...]

Another thing you'll probably want to add to your kit is this 90* valve stem adapter which makes it a heck of a lot easier to fill the rear tire with a normal pump.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode