Another exhaust question... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2008, 9:15 pm Thread Starter
Lieu

Another exhaust question...

I have read through many of the posted threads on the pros and cons of using an aftermarket exhaust on the K12GT.

My question relates to the issue of weight reduction and whether this improves either fuel use efficiency (measurably) or the feeling/maneuverability of the bike (not sure how objective you can be with this issue)?

Is there really a reason to lighten the weight of the exhaust system if it doesn't provide some improvement other than individual preference relating to looks or sound?

This is not meant as a stir-the-pot post. I am just wondering if there is an objective reason to shell out the $$$ on an exhaust change other than for aesthetic or audible preferences?

Ken
Elgin, IL

2007 BMW K1200 GT
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCSE2 (totaled)
2005 Honda ST1300 (traded-in)
2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Standard (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2008, 10:29 pm
Capn' Blowhard

I'll bite!

I swapped the stock can out for a carbon Remus about 10 months ago. At the time, I was trying anything to make the high idle, bucking bronco thing go away (this is before I/we understood it was the airbox and not air/fuel).

Anyhow, the weight savings was pretty big - I think it was about 8 lbs lighter! Which of course on a bike is a good amount. That said, I noticed no improvement in MPG or handling. Sounded nice though!

I also swapped out the filter for the fancy pants billet piece and oiled filter at the same time.

I had a nasty backfire POP! on decel that I could not get rid of - no exhaust leaks anywhere and only happened when letting revs fall down past 3K. I just learned to live with it but had plenty of friends jump when they were "shot at".

In the end, I swapped back to stock a month ago before taking my bike in for the airbox service...I didn't want any BS about the mods causing anything so I just eliminated that from happening altogether. When I went back to stock, I have to admit I liked it...enough to leave it. It's quieter (which on the GT is good for me- the Duc can be as loud as she wants but touring quietly is nice).

What's more - my MPG went up going back to stock..from a several month average of 42.1 mpg to 43.5 after just a week or so.

So I have a Remus can gathering dust in the spare closet along with the little intake. Some folks love the swap, and I thought I did...until I went back to stock.

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2008, 10:45 pm
Strafist

I bought a Two Brothers and it's LOUD!!! I rode it about 60 miles and took it off. In those 60 miles, I noticed no change in handling, nor did I notice the weight loss. I did enjoy getting back the "stealth" mode of the bike. Kinda like going from burlap to silk.

The engine did seem to rev slightly quicker, but I really didn't notice much change running the goat snot out of it. It did annoy the deer, though, they really looked when I came by.

I had a Remus on my 2000LT, along with the chip and anything else I could do to up performance. I lived with the sound because of what the package did for the bike. When my wife quit riding with me, I no longer needed a big touring bike and the GT fits everything I need it to do, from thousand mile days to ripping corners.

The bottome line: I was better than the LT, the GT is better than me, so I really don't need to enhance it's performance..... yet.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2008, 11:23 pm
Capn' Blowhard

I wonder if we can mock up some cans Akimbo 'tater launcher with your Two Bros and my Remus?

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2008, 8:41 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus-6
I wonder if we can mock up some cans Akimbo 'tater launcher with your Two Bros and my Remus?
I love 'tater guns! I donated the 2 Bro's to the Curve Cowboy Reunion's Silent Auctin to benefit a kiddo's charity.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2008, 6:13 pm Thread Starter
Lieu

That's pretty much what I figured. I enjoy a little rumble from a cruiser, but on my GT, I would just as soon keep it quiet. Especially if there is really no up-side to changing the exhaust. How cool is it when you can save money and not feel like you are losing out on improving the bike!

Ken
Elgin, IL

2007 BMW K1200 GT
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCSE2 (totaled)
2005 Honda ST1300 (traded-in)
2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Standard (sold)

Last edited by Falconfire; Apr 27th, 2008 at 6:13 pm. Reason: mispelling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode