Big Dilemma - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2008, 2:38 pm Thread Starter
JIS

Big Dilemma

For lots of reasons I have yet to replace my K1200GT (Classic) that I sold a couple of months ago. At that time, having tested a Kawasaki 1400 GTR (Concours) I was totally convinced that this was / is my next bike. For a number of reasons I didn’t get on with the K1200 GT (vibey engine; poor brakes; hard seat; “typical BMW gear box”). Around that time the UK’s Bike magazine trashed the big Kawasaki as a tourer; however they loved the performance. Since then Bike magazine have just tested 12 bikes for their ultimate speed on Germany’s autobahns; the Kawasaki GTR was there; as was the K1200S BMW. What I was not expecting was that the Kawasaki was not rated at very high speeds; but the K1200S was rated much more highly. This got me thinking. I did test the K1200S around a year ago, and it was BRILLIANT. However, it broke down 100 miles from home with a problem between the key and the “computer”. That really put me off. However, I did LOVE the bike but the riding position of the GT is better for me ( I get pain in the hips if my knees are too cramped).
So, what was great about the GTR. Well, I loved the handling (compared to my (Classic) K1200GT; I loved the super powerful and smooth engine. I was less impressed with the seat and the screen; both of which are easily replaced.
BUT, (and many on this forum are unlikely to be aware), the Kawasaki 1400 GTR / Concours has been purposely strangled by the use of double flies which prevent decent airflow and thus restricting the low end performance. Remove these secondary flies and the low end performance is transformed. However these mods require the addition of a PC III and, if you’re in UK, it’s not even available. Back to the BMWs; no shortage of low end grunt ……
So, I have a real dilemma; any thoughts from those who have had similar problems ?

John

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2008, 6:16 pm
Lieu

Go with the moped

Ken
Elgin, IL

2007 BMW K1200 GT
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCSE2 (totaled)
2005 Honda ST1300 (traded-in)
2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Standard (sold)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2008, 7:47 pm

From someone who occasionally suffers from the same problem, you're overthinking. Which bike do you love? Buy it. If neither, keep shopping. Just my 2c.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode