3k "Flat Spot" is pronounced... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2008, 8:58 pm Thread Starter
Addict

3k "Flat Spot" is pronounced...

I've put about 1k miles on the new airbox and associated software, and my 3k "Flat Spot" is pretty pronounced. I TRY not to run it that low- most of my shifts "around town" seem to happen around 3.5k or 4k. Highway is almost 4k and above. Sometimes I do take it down to 3k, and that "Flat Spot" is REALLY there. I mean, sometime when I experience it, there is NO throttle response at all for a split second or two, which is kinda shocking... I'm not considering it a "crisis"...

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2008, 9:28 pm

flat spot 3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma
I've put about 1k miles on the new airbox and associated software, and my 3k "Flat Spot" is pretty pronounced. I TRY not to run it that low- most of my shifts "around town" seem to happen around 3.5k or 4k. Highway is almost 4k and above. Sometimes I do take it down to 3k, and that "Flat Spot" is REALLY there. I mean, sometime when I experience it, there is NO throttle response at all for a split second or two, which is kinda shocking... I'm not considering it a "crisis"...

Thoughts?
Welcome to the club. You are lucky it only occurs at 3K. Most anywhere below 4K on my bike, rolling on the throttle gently produces sputter, flat spot for half to one second or when coming back to throttle after a shift.
Seems there is no help for us yet

rusty 2006
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2008, 1:52 am
Enthusiast

That's funny because my bike has never had this flat spot, even at its worst with the old air box or with the new air box and V10 software. Now that I have V11 software it seems perfect at low revs or high.

Around town I ride in the 2000 to 4000 rpm range all the time and this is probably 40% of my riding. Most upshifts are around 3500 to 4000 in this environment and it has always pulled like a tractor with no flat spot, although I don't give it much throttle at these low revs.

Maybe it is just the difference between Australian and US spec bikes? They certainly seem to behave differently according to all the recent posts on bikes with the new air box.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2008, 10:01 am
Addict

My 07 has never had the "flat spot", either before or after the airbox/software upgrade. Throttle response has always been instantaneous.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2008, 10:12 am
Veteran

Is every one sure it's the engine / air box response? Maybe your throttle needs adjustment? Or try doing the throttle reset thingy? I've put several thousand on the new box and if I slam the throttle open on mine there's just the slightest, maybe 1/2 second or so hesitation. But I think this is a normal function of the mechanics. No? I certainly don't get any kind of sputtering or deceleration. It goes like crazy. I can't imagine it responding any quicker. It still is a naturally aspirated engine were talking about. And I never experience it just rolling on the throttle going up through the gears. It's only hesitation, and again VERY slight, if I roll it on in the top gears. I don't think even a nitro boost or turbo would be quicker to respond.

However a 1 or 2 second delay? That would be problematic. Think I would have a problem with that.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2008, 10:23 am
Addict

Robert, good point on the throttle reset. When I had my airbox/software upgraded, I think that they forgot to do the TPS reset, and it was running like crapola until I did it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2008, 11:00 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

I had the 3K flat spot in mine, an early '07. That was the only problem I have had so far. The dealership did the airbox and software upgrade, and that seemed to cure it. At first blush, most of us would think a 3K flat spot wouldn't even be a factor since we're all shifting at 4K and above, but if you are going through tight twisties and roll off the throttle then come back on again, that 3K thing is definitely in a bad place.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2008, 8:10 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM
Robert, good point on the throttle reset. When I had my airbox/software upgraded, I think that they forgot to do the TPS reset, and it was running like crapola until I did it.
That's good feedback! Thanks. It's dawned on me that maybe I need to do that, and I'm not sure if the dealer did. The GT is up for it's 12k this weekend, so I'll ask.

God I love this forum!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2008, 8:17 pm
Enthusiast

+1 on the twisties, I have about gotten used to it tho. Either stay above that rpm or start rolling on before you get to that critical point where you need some help to lift out of a corner.

It is very slight tho, not a problem once you know it is there.

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2008, 6:43 pm

Red face

Thanks I've got an 07 K1200R, not sure of the production date. Was thinking that the rings hadn't seated yet, nice to know about the software upgrade and new airbox. See it most often riding two up below 4k, in traffic around town. Will report if the software update addresses the issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode