Dealer tells me burning oil is normal! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2008, 10:02 pm Thread Starter

Dealer tells me burning oil is normal!

Just got back from a 1200 mile trip, during which my '07 GT burned a quart of oil! The others in my group said they could smell the oil burning and saw smoke from my exhaust. The exhaust pipe also has black soot all over the end of it. My bike has 4300 miles on it.

I take it to my local dealer and he tells me that BMW doesnt like to say that a bike is burning oil until after the 6000 mile mark, because the bike isnt really broken in! I called bullshit on that and told him I have never had any of my 15 bikes (in my lifetime) burn this kind of oil!

He said that they would completely drain my oil, carefully measure what they put in, have me drive 600 miles, and then return the bike to them so that they could drain and measure the oil again!! Like they dont beleive me or something. Wouldnt be a big deal except that I live 3 hours (one way) from my dealer, so going back and forth is a real hassle for me. I didn't buy a BMW to worry about this kind of crap!

I told them that I planned another 1200 mile trip next week and they said, "no problem, we will give you another quart of oil to take with you". WFT?! If I wanted to add oil at every fill up I would have bought a '70's Harley!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2008, 10:23 pm
Veteran

My '06 K1200GT has never burned any oil between changes. Never seems to go down looking at the clear hose. If it were a boxer series engine that sits on the sidestand and oil flows into the cylinder, then yes, it happens. My R1100 RT always burned oil - even up to 100,000 miles (about 1/2 quart every 3000 miles). More likely the nature of the opposed boxer engine. But the K series?

I'd say something is wrong and your dealer is dissing you.

Mack
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2008, 10:43 pm
Addict-oholic

I burned 1/2 quart in 6000 miles.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2008, 11:16 pm
Veteran

Yup, not normal. 14k or so now and not a drop burned. I'd say press the issue with them. Or let it run dry and get a new bike!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2008, 11:19 pm
Enthusiast

Mine doesn't seem to burn any oil, although I haven't measured anything. No oil added between changes, and oil level remained OK.

If you were too gentle with the engine between 600 - 2000 miles, you may need to wait 'til 6k - 10k miles to tell if the oil rings seat properly.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2008, 11:32 pm

Any chance you could pin point when the engine smokes. Deceleration smoking (valve guides) would not be a break in problem such as rings not seating.

Modern engine building processes don't allow a lot of oil usage, and it sounds like this engine has a problem. They will have to replace the Catalytic converter too...More costs..

Good Luck and let us know,

jim
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2008, 7:41 am
Addict

My previous 2006 was burning 400 ml in 10,000km.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2008, 9:56 am
Addict

I went 6000 on this last oil change and it hasn't used a drop of oil.
Just wondering, when are you checking your oil? Since the bike has an oil tank, the best time to check it is "immediately" after a hard ride, when the engine is at operating temp. If you wait until the bike has cooled down, oil drains back into the sump, and the reading will be way down. When my bike was new, I made that mistake a couple of times, and it did cause a leetle heartburn, until I got it figured out.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2008, 10:21 am
Strafist

Of course, the bike will also check the oil for you when you're at stop, like a stoplight. If the display doesn't automatically come up, thumb thru the options (temp, mpg, etc) till you see oil. If all is fine, you'll see a check next to the oil display.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2008, 10:58 am

Thumbs up No oil use here either

Quote:
Originally Posted by howfly
Mine doesn't seem to burn any oil, although I haven't measured anything. No oil added between changes, and oil level remained OK.

Ditto: No usage. Even check it with the dip stick every once in a while!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode